RE: [RLC-Action] RLC Web Bookstore

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26 9:35 AM
      Speaking as a state treasurer, would there be any way to link to the list
      with a state code, so as to get credit? Or would we need to set up our own
      Amazon link to do that?

      --
      David Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26 9:47 AM
        David Johnson wrote:

        > Speaking as a state treasurer, would there be any way to link to the list
        > with a state code, so as to get credit? Or would we need to set up our own
        > Amazon link to do that?

        As far as I can tell Amazon isn't really set up to handle anything like
        revenue sharing,
        so you'd probably have to set up your own separate version.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26 10:02 AM
          Posted by: "Dave Nalle"
          > I proposed something like this a few months ago to tepid response, but I still
          think it is a very good idea for generating a little exra revenue, and I'd be glad
          to do the work necessary to set up an Amazon Associates account and put a
          page together and add it to the webswite.<
          Within hours of your proposal, I setup an RLC Amazon Account and posted the login and link information. Re-sending to officers.

          Bill

          Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26 10:03 AM
            It seems to me that states are free to set up book links on their own
            websites. But my suggestion for a book list on the National RLC website
            goes beyond the potential capture of commissions from book sales and
            gets right to telling visitors who we are. It would be like receiving
            guests at your home and allowing them to examine your library. Anyone
            who views the titles on my bookshelves will learn rather quickly what
            I'm all about. Commissions would help to support the National website
            and perhaps even outreach projects. Whatever happens, the National RLC
            website has to provide a great first impression to visitors. After that,
            they'll soon find links to state chapters.

            --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 27 9:38 AM
              Posted by: "Dave Nalle"
              > While there are some excellent books on the
              list I think we'd want to stick more to fundamentals ...<

              I agree. A sparse list of basics is sufficient. My understanding is that the RLC gets credit for *any* book purchase IF the customer entered the site with our ID. It's stored and applied to any purchase, whether it's on our custom page or not.

              One of the reasons this wasn't done earlier (it was discussed among the Board) is that a custom selection, or a book that's explicitly referred from our website, implies an "endorsement" of all the contents of that book. The RLC Bylaws require that the Board authorize any "association" with other persons or groups that might be inconsistent with our Statement of Principles and Positions.

              The hazard is that, rather than reading our Statement, visitors who are referred to a book will assume that it is representative of the RLC. Visitors seeing "The Ethics of Liberty" on our list might assume that we're just a bunch of anarchists; or seeing "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" might assume that we share the author's position on abortion. Undoubtedly, we have many members who totally agree with either of those books, but neither of them represents the expressed positions of the RLC. If we list one of them and not the other, some members will be offended or charge that we're "censoring" the movement philosophy.

              So, IF it's possible, I'd recommend some kind of disclaimer on any custom RLC page, with a link to our Statement: "Books listed here do not necessarily represent the official positions of the Republican Liberty Caucus."

              Bill

              Free Credit Report and Score Tracking! Get it Now for $0 at CreditReport.com.
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 27 10:30 AM
                I'll go along with the disclaimer idea. Everyone does that, from websites to broadcasters carrying infomercials. We could just promote classics from the Founders in their own words (the Federalist Papers, the founding documents themselves, diaries, etc, as "page one," and have the controversial titles listed on subsequent pages, along with the disclaimer.

                Posted by: "Dave Nalle"
                > While there are some excellent books on the list I think we'd want to stick more to fundamentals ...<

                I agree. A sparse list of basics is sufficient. My understanding is that the RLC gets credit for *any* book purchase IF the customer entered the site with our ID. It's stored and applied to any purchase, whether it's on our custom page or not.

                One of the reasons this wasn't done earlier (it was discussed among the Board) is that a custom selection, or a book that's explicitly referred from our website, implies an "endorsement" of all the contents of that book. The RLC Bylaws require that the Board authorize any "association" with other persons or groups that might be inconsistent with our Statement of Principles and Positions.

                The hazard is that, rather than reading our Statement, visitors who are referred to a book will assume that it is representative of the RLC. Visitors seeing "The Ethics of Liberty" on our list might assume that we're just a bunch of anarchists; or seeing "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" might assume that we share the author's position on abortion. Undoubtedly, we have many members who totally agree with either of those books, but neither of them represents the expressed positions of the RLC. If we list one of them and not the other, some members will be offended or charge that we're "censoring" the movement philosophy.

                So, IF it's possible, I'd recommend some kind of disclaimer on any custom RLC page, with a link to our Statement: "Books listed here do not necessarily represent the official positions of the Republican Liberty Caucus."

                Bill

                Free Credit Report and Score Tracking! Get it Now for $0 at CreditReport.com.

                --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---

              • Sakshale eQuorian
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2009
                  I haven't looked at my amazon associate account in years, but they do have a
                  concept related to "Tracking ID" that may be used for just this type of function.
                  Worth investigating;

                  From the Amazon help pages;
                  "You may use a single account and Associates ID for multiple Web sites.
                  You can list all of your Web sites in the description field in Your Associates
                  Account Information. If you need separate reporting for each site, please

                  visit "Your Account" and click on "Manage your Tracking ID" link to request
                  unique tracking IDs for each site."