Bill of Rights

  • John Conway
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2009
          Here is the "Bill of Rights" added to the U.S. Constitution in 1789, two years after Congress had been seated.  They were written by James Madison, but the champion that forced them on Congress was a Virginian named George Mason.
          We'll take them individually to explain them, but when we're finished the whole picture will emerge.  Here is your Bill of Rights granted to your by your maker, not another man or woman which would make this the "Bill of Privileges."  Privileges are subject to being altered or outright  taken away.
          These Rights are not the providence of any government, political party or politician, they are the providence of not just we Americans, but all the citizens on this planet.  If you have been born of the human condition, these are the very basics you are entitled to.  Without these, you are deprived of your dignity.

      "Amendment 1
      Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
      prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or
      of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition
      the Government for a redress of grievances.

      Amendment 2
      A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
      right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

      Amendment 3
      No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the
      consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by
      law.

      Amendment 4
      The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
      effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and
      no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or
      affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
      persons or things to be seized.

      Amendment 5
      No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime,
      unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising
      in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time
      of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense
      to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any
      criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life,
      liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be
      taken for public use, without just compensation.

      Amendment 6
      In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and
      public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime
      shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously
      ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the
      accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory
      process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of
      Counsel for his defence.

      Amendment 7
      In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty
      dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a
      jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than
      according to the rules of the common law.

      Amendment 8
      Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel
      and unusual punishments inflicted.

      Amendment 9
      The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed
      to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

      Amendment 10
      The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
      prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to
      the people."

      We're going to take on nine and ten first. As you read them just don't forget
      that they are included in our rights. The other concept is that these are here
      to protect us from a government that is out of the box. Is it the job of
      government to enforce these if need be? That task falls to you. You either
      defend yourself, or take what you get.
      Just remember this. If you give up your right of self defense to another,
      that person owns you. They may just make you stay at home unless you are
      out making money to pay them for their services. Can you imagine being out
      in the bush among lions and someone coming and taking your spear so that you
      can have a more civilized society? Hint, the Lion sent them.

      Citizen Conway

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2009
        Posted by: "John Conway"
        > The Preamble to the Bill of Rights
        > Our revisionist
        historians ALWAYS leave this off the Constitution!!!

            I don't get the point (every proposed amendment has a preamble, which is not the text to be added or amended), but this kind of commentary doesn't belong on RLC-Action in any case.

        Bill

        Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2009
          Posted by: "Sarah Lovett"
          > I am sure Bill meant no offense.<

          Of course not. I simply stated that I didn't understand the point ... and that this eGroup wasn't the proper forum for discussion. However, Mr. Conway regularly copies lengthy diatribes from other sources to RLC eGroups, with no apparent intention of discussing their merits. More often than not, it's "preaching to the choir". I've encouraged him to participate locally or post to other eGroups. If he takes personal offense at those suggestions, or isn't willing to discuss his own posts, I'm disappointed.