Term Limits: Good aim, wrong target

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2009
      Posted by: "Tony Lekas"
      > There is no magic substitute for an electorate that really cares about freedom and it's prerequisite, limited government.<
      Although I think this discussion should be on RLC-Discuss, I agree. Term limits may have been a "magic bullet" for dethroning one legislator (Willie Brown), but that has had absolutely ZERO effect on the disposition of the California legislature, or its electorate.

      The problem is not WHO holds any particular seat, but WHAT they are capable of doing: pillaging taxpayers to reward friends. Those friends don't have term limits and will always find another puppet who will do their bidding, while their termed-out legislator (if he has done a "good job") moves up another notch on the political ladder of power. New face, same old game.

      Bill
    • John Mitchel, LtCol, USAF (Ret
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2009
        Gen. Bill Creech, who many consider the father of the modern Air Force, often articulated that the most important job of a leader is to train new leaders.  It's my guess that our current crop of politicians fully understand why Gen. Creech felt that way about passing on the mantle of leadership to the next generation, but at the same time they will avoid giving too much leverage to someone who may threaten their power until they've made an irrevocable decision to step down.  That's how we end up with generation after generation of empty suits in Congress with very few exceptions. Having said that, the best kind of term limits is self-imposed from those who will stand by their word and from "day one," start looking for his or her replacement.  Term limits at the ballot box has not worked because incumbents have implemented laws that virtually assure reelection to the guy or gal that raises the most money.  That's also why Congress has voted itself the most lucrative benefit package on the planet.  No incentive to leave = no incentive to train a replacement.  Mitch