RE: [RLC-Action] Stossel on Bailouts

  • George Blumel
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11 6:51 PM

      Precisely, Doug. Without term limits we have career politicians and they naturally do what advances their careers. The Constitution means nothing to them. After so many years of incumbency they become arrogant and powerful and the advantages of incumbency make it nearly impossible for challengers to unseat them --over 95% of incumbents are reelected. They truly have become our rulers. We need term limits –there is a petition at www.termlimits.org calling for term limits on congress –please sign it and help bring attention to one of the most serious problems of our Republic.  –Geo.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11 8:16 PM
        George,

        I would like to think that term limits would help and they may in some ways.  I am not opposed to them.  However, if you look at what term limits have done in CA it may have made things worse.  At least some legislators are just working to line up good jobs with those they do things for to go to when they are out.

        There is no magic substitute for an electorate that really cares about freedom and it's prerequisite, limited government.

        Tony

        Tony

        George Blumel wrote:

[...]

      • David Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11 9:17 PM
          On Wednesday 11 March 2009 06:51:04 pm George Blumel wrote:
          > Precisely, Doug. Without term limits we have career politicians and they
          > naturally do what advances their careers. The Constitution means nothing to
          > them. After so many years of incumbency they become arrogant and powerful
          > and the advantages of incumbency make it nearly impossible for challengers
          > to unseat them --over 95% of incumbents are reelected. They truly have
          > become our rulers. We need term limits -there is a petition at
          > www.termlimits.org <http://www.termlimits.org/> calling for term limits on
          > congress -please sign it and help bring attention to one of the most
          > serious problems of our Republic. -Geo.

          We have term limits in California, and it has not done any good. The problem
          is that the politicians come up through the ranks. Two terms at city council,
          two terms at county supervisor, two terms as state assembly, two terms as
          state senate, and by that time they're career politicians.

          --
          David Johnson
        • Sarah Lovett
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12 5:17 AM
            Or we should require them to have the patch of their corporate
            sponsors on their racing uniform...kinda like NASCAR

            Sent from my iPhone