Stossel on Bailouts

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
      On Friday, March 13, John Stossel and ABC News has a special, "Bailouts, Big Spending and Bull."
      The special is produced in partnership with Drew Carey and Reason Magazine.
      As John describes the specials, it will look at the conceit of the ruling class.

      Should be interesting.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
        westmiller@... wrote:

        > On Friday, March 13, John Stossel and ABC News has a special,
        > "Bailouts, Big Spending and Bull."
        > The special is produced in partnership with Drew Carey and Reason
        > Magazine.
        > As John describes the specials, it will look at the conceit of the
        > ruling class.

        Does he mean that the ruling class is conceited or that we have created an
        artificial conception of the ruling class? Guess I have to tune in to
        find out.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
          Does he mean that the ruling class is conceited or that we have created an artificial conception of the ruling class? Guess I have to tune in to find out. -- Dave

          Good question. I tend to think we have created an artificial ruling class. I can't stand hearing people say, "We sent them to Washington to be leaders. Where are our leaders?" In fact, we sent them to Washington to represent us. We're supposed to be the leaders and they're supposed to do what we tell them to do. We have allowed our representatives to assume the role of elitist ruling class. It is not a coincidence that liberals are so enamored with royalty and Camelot.

          --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---

        • George Blumel
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009

            Precisely, Doug. Without term limits we have career politicians and they naturally do what advances their careers. The Constitution means nothing to them. After so many years of incumbency they become arrogant and powerful and the advantages of incumbency make it nearly impossible for challengers to unseat them --over 95% of incumbents are reelected. They truly have become our rulers. We need term limits –there is a petition at www.termlimits.org calling for term limits on congress –please sign it and help bring attention to one of the most serious problems of our Republic.  –Geo.

            Does he mean that the ruling class is conceited or that we have created an artificial conception of the ruling class? Guess I have to tune in to find out. -- Dave

            Good question. I tend to think we have created an artificial ruling class. I can't stand hearing people say, "We sent them to Washington to be leaders. Where are our leaders?" In fact, we sent them to Washington to represent us. We're supposed to be the leaders and they're supposed to do what we tell them to do. We have allowed our representatives to assume the role of elitist ruling class. It is not a coincidence that liberals are so enamored with royalty and Camelot.

            --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---

          • Tony Lekas
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009
              George,

              I would like to think that term limits would help and they may in some ways.  I am not opposed to them.  However, if you look at what term limits have done in CA it may have made things worse.  At least some legislators are just working to line up good jobs with those they do things for to go to when they are out.

              There is no magic substitute for an electorate that really cares about freedom and it's prerequisite, limited government.

              Tony

              Tony

              George Blumel wrote:

[...]

            • David Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009
                On Wednesday 11 March 2009 06:51:04 pm George Blumel wrote:
                > Precisely, Doug. Without term limits we have career politicians and they
                > naturally do what advances their careers. The Constitution means nothing to
                > them. After so many years of incumbency they become arrogant and powerful
                > and the advantages of incumbency make it nearly impossible for challengers
                > to unseat them --over 95% of incumbents are reelected. They truly have
                > become our rulers. We need term limits -there is a petition at
                > www.termlimits.org <http://www.termlimits.org/> calling for term limits on
                > congress -please sign it and help bring attention to one of the most
                > serious problems of our Republic. -Geo.

                We have term limits in California, and it has not done any good. The problem
                is that the politicians come up through the ranks. Two terms at city council,
                two terms at county supervisor, two terms as state assembly, two terms as
                state senate, and by that time they're career politicians.

                --
                David Johnson
              • Sarah Lovett
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2009
                  Or we should require them to have the patch of their corporate
                  sponsors on their racing uniform...kinda like NASCAR

                  Sent from my iPhone