Fw: Please help me promote the RLC 2009 Convention in Jacksonville

  • libertarian17
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hi there,

      When you have a second, please log on to the RLC 2009 Convention
      Facebook link at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=52402380447 .
      Once you reply on the right side (yes, maybe, or no), please click to
      "invite" others (also on the right hand column).

      I am asking you to please invite your pro-small government friends and
      acquaintances to attend our 2009 National Convention from March 27-29
      in Jacksonville, Florida.

      If you don't have a Facebook account, please send an e-mail to your
      friends and acquaintances asking them to participate in our Convention.

      You can include two links in the e-mail:

      Convention Registration:
      http://www.rlc.org/rlc-resources-links/reading-lounge/convention09/
      and the RLC's Facebook RSVP link (for subscribers only):
      http://tinyurl.com/djncej

      Hope to see you in Jacksonville!

      Thanks,

      Aaron
    • rlcmcallen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
        Aaron,

        Our local RLC chapter is pretty much unanimous in not wanting to have
        anything whatsoever to do with Facebook for a variety of reasons.

        I my memory serves well, it seems that for the last several years you
        have had national conventions either on the west coast, the east coast
        or up near the Canadian border. Look at the map. Do you see where
        McAllen, TX is? It is a job just to get as far as Austin, however, we
        might try to get to a convention in Dallas, or Kansas City or Denver.

        I'll bring this up with the membership. Maybe we can learn more about
        the plans for the Convention and some of us will be spurred to make
        the sacrifice. However, most of our people work at regular jobs and
        would have a hard time getting away.

        Would it be possible to consider using a service like gotomeeting.com
        to put on a virtual convention?

        John Pankratz

        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "libertarian17"

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
          >> I my memory serves well, it seems that for the last several years you
          have had national conventions either on the west coast, the east coast
          or up near the Canadian border. Look at the map. Do you see where
          McAllen, TX is? It is a job just to get as far as Austin, however, we
          might try to get to a convention in Dallas, or Kansas City or Denver.<<

          Isn't it basically true that once you're in McAllen pretty much everywhere
          is equally far away because you're either going to have to drive forever
          or fly at great expense, and putting it in Tulsa or El Paso or New Orleans
          wouldn't really be any better for you than Florida or San Fancisco.

          Dave
        • jap1@peoplepc.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
            RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Fw: Please help me promote the RLC 2009 Convention in Jacksonville

            > Our local RLC chapter is pretty much unanimous in not wanting to have anything whatsoever to do with Facebook for a variety of reasons.

            I am also uncomfortable with Facebook. However, Aaron is using it as just one additional tool for promoting the convention.  It is also being promoted via our Yahoo groups and conventional mailing lists.  One need not touch Facebook to promote or register for the convention.

            >I my memory serves well, it seems that for the last several years you have had national conventions either on the west coast, the east coast or up near the Canadian border.  Look at the map. Do you see where McAllen, TX is?  It is a job just to get as far as Austin, however, we might try to get to a convention in Dallas, or Kansas City or Denver.

            The distance to the convention will be a burden for many regardless of where it is held.  You are correct that our recent conventions have been far from Texas (although we did once have one in Tennessee).  The national RLC has endeavored to have conventions rotate around the country, but unfortunately, we have not had that luxury.  Convention locations are determined, not by choice but by who volunteers to host them, andso far as I knowTexas has never stepped up.  May we count on you for next time?

            >I'll bring this up with the membership. Maybe we can learn more about the plans for the Convention and some of us will be spurred to make the sacrifice.

            I hope so.  I large turnout from Texas would be most welcome and highly beneficial for the RLC (and for Texas!).

            >However, most of our people work at regular jobs and would have a hard time getting away.

            Ditto for us all.

            >Would it be possible to consider using a service like gotomeeting.com to put on a virtual convention?

            This idea was discussed for months (and heavily promoted by our Chairman).  Envisioned was an online conference consisting of five or six regional meetingseach with a real-time video link to the others.  In the end, it just wasnt feasible.  The costs of each link were not inconsiderable.  Further, instead of imposing upon one person or local chapter to do the organizing, we would have been multiplying the problems by five or six.  Further, the goal of reducing travel costs would not have been significantly addressed (i.e., a 1-2 hour flight would not have been significantly less expensive for folks or have required less time off from work than a 4-5 hour one.)  And finally, perhaps the most compelling reason for having a convention in the first place—getting our people to know each other face-to-facewould have been undermined.

            Jeff Palmer

            jap1@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
              Why do you guys want to avoid Facebook so badly?

              Nick

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2009
                Why do you guys want to avoid Facebook so badly? -- Nick

                I don't like the culture of it. The people are more socially gregarious than I ever was or ever want to be. Most of them are narcissists who count their worth by the number of "friends" they can recruit as electronic boinks. I've gotten invites to join Facebook from people I've never heard of before (in fact, I have never gotten an invite from anyone I actually know). Those people remind me of giddy Japanese school girls. "Ah so des ne. Giru giru ha ha ha. Take my peecha purease." Take for example this thing I just received today. Granted, it's not Facebook, but it is just like all the invites I've ever gotten (none of which I've ever responded to) from Facebook. Notice the "my ... my ... my ... my ..." tone of it all. Yuck!

                I want to add you as a friend in Grouply so you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite group messages.

                Here is the link: http://www.grouply.com/file_altered_to_prevent_curiousity_from_tempting_anyone.

                Lisa

                Block Grouply Invites | Mark as SPAM

                Click here to block all emails from Grouply, 495 Seaport Court, Suite 103, Redwood City, CA 94063.

                I also dislike the culture behind AOL.com -- just not my kind of people, with all oozing liberal puss like they tend to do. I don't like MeetUp either, because it is so less flexible than YahooGroups. I don't understand why people love it. YahooGroups has calendar notices, too, and you don't have to pay for an account. I really don't need anything but YahooGroups.

                P.S. I clicked block Grouply Invites, and the next time I get a Facebook invite, I'll look to see if I can block those as well.

                --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---