Re: Topics for discussion

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
      > From: "Philip Blumel" <philip.blumel@...>
      > I would offer the following as priorities. Maybe one excom member
      > can be put in charge of each ...

      I like Phil's list, with a few revisions. Let's organize the discussion
      under the below individual "SUBJECT:" lines. I have comments and
      background on each, but the general problem I've encountered is that
      everyone knows what "WE" should do, but few are able or willing to
      take on a task and pursue it consistently and vigorously. That's a
      hazard in any all-volunteer organization. Everybody "has a life".
      My top priority has always been the national newsletter, but I
      have ten other jobs that *have to be done now* and little assistance
      in the basic burdens. Therefore, my inclination is to do something
      "evil": add financial incentives. We barely have enough to mail one
      newsletter to all 8,000 people in our database, but we do have the
      resources to offer reasonable compensation to get jobs done. The
      only alternative is disincentive: my bitching and moaning that some
      designated person isn't doing the job. That doesn't work for me.
      With about $4,000 in the bank, I have no problem designating
      reimbursement (beyond expenses) for some of the most important
      tasks. In that context, fundraising efforts get priority ... they make
      it possible to fund and reward other projects.
      Of course, I don't want to discourage true devotion and willingness
      to commit to individual tasks without compensation. I just don't trust
      that motivation to establish a personal priority in RLC projects.
      Comments welcome.

      Membership Communications
      SUBJECT: Newsletter Editing and Production
      SUBJECT: Membership maintenance and solicitation
      SUBJECT: Web Services for Members
      SUBJECT: Special Conventions & Events

      Public Communications
      SUBJECT: Website(s)
      SUBJECT: eNews and eGroups
      SUBJECT: Printed Literature
      SUBJECT: Liberty Index
      SUBJECT: Coalition Building

      Fundraising
      SUBJECT: Member solicitation
      SUBJECT: List Exchanges
      SUBJECT: Commissioned Fundraising
      SUBJECT: PAC Fundraising

      Activist Support
      SUBJECT: State Chartering
      SUBJECT: Candidate Review
      SUBJECT: RLC/GOP Events
      SUBJECT: Party Organization/Infiltration
    • John Pankratz
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
        An article on communicating libertarian values to the general population.
        Here's a clue: It ain't easy.

        http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html
      • Bruno Behrend
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
          JP wrote:
          Here's a clue: It ain't easy.

          Bruno writes:

          Especially if you promote a whackjob like Rockwell  ;-)

          Here is the close...

          First, reject everything you mistakenly believe in, 2nd, accept all my extreme statements, 3rd, storm the barricades.

          "not easy" indeed.
        • Guy McLendon
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 23, 2004
            Moderator,

            Please stop this chit-chat crap now.

            This group is intended for working messages only.

            GM

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 23, 2004
              >An article on communicating libertarian values to the general population.
              >Here's a clue: It ain't easy.
              >
              ><http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html>http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html

              Rarely have I been exposed to greater idiocy than this article. It
              misses the fundamental point of the entire election choice for
              conservative christians. Regardless of what flaws Bush may or may
              not have, exactly who else are they going to vote for? They're in
              the same difficult situation as we RLC folks are. We may not like
              Bush's record on the Drug War or Medicaire or the Patriot Act, but we
              KNOW Kerry would be worse, so we bite the bullet and vote for Bush.

              Stop by my blog:
              http://www.torchofliberty.com