Re: H.R. 6049 Energy Bill

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2008
      Posted by: "DGHarrison"
      > Can anyone tell me what might be wrong ...

      Every time Congress passes out rewards (even in the form of tax credits) for specific conduct, it is distorting the free market. Their ethanol mandates have caused corn prices (and substitute food prices) to double or triple. Business tax credits for "Renewable Energy" projects force investment into uneconomic production that benefits no one beyond con artists and politicians.

      As an example, T. Boone Pickens advertises his "plan" on television, not because he has an efficient and valuable product, but because he wants to persuade politicians to spend tax dollars to make his investments profitable. He owns a lot of useless desert land in rural Texas, where it happens to be windy. He thinks he might be able to build a wind farm that could be profitable ... if he didn't have to pay for transmission lines. So, he wants politicians to invest billions of taxpayer dollars in building "free" government infrastructure that could make his windmills profitable (but only with the taxpayer subsidies like HR 6049).

      While the politicians are working on that, he wants a "bridge program" that will use government to force consumers to buy "CNG" ... same as the old "LNG" ... for their cars. Nobody in their right mind would buy such a car, because it's a highly explosive compressed gas bomb that gets lower miles-per-gallon than gasoline. So, he needs government to *force* consumers to buy the natural gas that he owns, or has bought futures in, because he's not making much profit. He needs a con job for eco-freaks, at taxpayer expense, to line his pockets.

      In any case, I don't think it's useful to consume space on RLC-Action discussing specific pieces of legislation. They are intentionally complex laws, written by people who will profit from them, and almost always a gross infringement of individual rights and distortions of free markets.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2008
        Thanks, Bill. I'd forgotten the prime directive. It seems that we could oppose ALL legislation and be better for it, and it reminds me why gridlock in Washington and a "Do Nothing" Congress are good things. As for the specific legislation in question, it is indeed a complex bill. I suppose buried in there somewhere is a carbon trade and cap program and a bunch of other crap that will distort the free market and ensnare us for generations to come.

        Posted by: "DGHarrison"
        > Can anyone tell me what might be wrong ...

        Every time Congress passes out rewards (even in the form of tax credits) for specific conduct, it is distorting the free market. Their ethanol mandates have caused corn prices (and substitute food prices) to double or triple. Business tax credits for "Renewable Energy" projects force investment into uneconomic production that benefits no one beyond con artists and politicians.

        As an example, T. Boone Pickens advertises his "plan" on television, not because he has an efficient and valuable product, but because he wants to persuade politicians to spend tax dollars to make his investments profitable. He owns a lot of useless desert land in rural Texas, where it happens to be windy. He thinks he might be able to build a wind farm that could be profitable ... if he didn't have to pay for transmission lines. So, he wants politicians to invest billions of taxpayer dollars in building "free" government infrastructure that could make his windmills profitable (but only with the taxpayer subsidies like HR 6049).

        While the politicians are working on that, he wants a "bridge program" that will use government to force consumers to buy "CNG" ... same as the old "LNG" ... for their cars. Nobody in their right mind would buy such a car, because it's a highly explosive compressed gas bomb that gets lower miles-per-gallon than gasoline. So, he needs government to *force* consumers to buy the natural gas that he owns, or has bought futures in, because he's not making much profit. He needs a con job for eco-freaks, at taxpayer expense, to line his pockets.

        In any case, I don't think it's useful to consume space on RLC-Action discussing specific pieces of legislation. They are intentionally complex laws, written by people who will profit from them, and almost always a gross infringement of individual rights and distortions of free markets.

        --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---