FW: Bob Barr Shows Leadership to Unify Liberty Movement

  • Guy McLendon
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10, 2008

      There is still an opportunity for Ron Paul to be on the ballot in November 2008.  Please call Ron’s office, and ask him to accept Bob Barr’s offer.

      Guy McLendon

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008

        The post by McLenden belongs on the LP site, not the RLC group.  This is not appropriate for a Republican group. What are you thinking?  Anything you do to limit support of the Republican ticket is exactly equal to support for the Obama bin Biden ticket.  Bob Barr is not showing leadership –he is trying to lead the Ron Paul cultists down the path of opposition to the Republican candidates. Barr-Paul should get together and call themselves the Revanchist ticket. They both are losers in Republican primaries and all they want is revenge for personal reasons and to hell with the Republic!

        The Republican Liberty Caucus is making headway in education and influence within a major party where there is an opportunity to succeed and really make a difference for the future of freedom. Guy McLendon belongs in the LP, not the GOP, for this ultimately pro-Obama idea.   Surely you are aware of his Marxist background and goals.

        Palin, Sanford , Jindal, Hensarling, Flake, Pence and about 50 others (see the Republican Study Committee) are the future of the party –they will instill our libertarian ideals in the government –but they need support. Ron Paul lost.  The fight for liberty goes on…  -Geo.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
          On Sunday 14 September 2008 03:46:38 pm George Blumel wrote:
          > The post by McLenden belongs on the LP site, not the RLC group. This is
          > not appropriate for a Republican group. What are you thinking? Anything
          > you do to limit support of the Republican ticket is exactly equal to
          > support for the Obama bin Biden ticket.

          On the other hand, slavish devotion to the Republican Party does nothing to
          advance liberty. How can we possibly influence the party leadership when it
          knows we'll roll over and support whatever statist manages to get on the
          ticket? The attitude of "my party right or wrong" has to go. When the party
          is wrong we must not be afraid to tell it is wrong.

          --
          David Johnson
        • David Baumgardner
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
            However, if the party sees the caucus support another party over the Republicans.  it will dismiss the caucus as just a tool for the LP.  RLC candidates will never get the Republicam support they need.  The party will rightly suggest that liberty-Republicans aren't true Republicans because they support the LP when they don't get their way.

            It is not a matter of rolling over.  It is a matter of gaining credibility and applying the force within the Republican Party to get our agenda recognized and respected.  That doesn't happen by bailing the first sign of not getting our way.

            To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
            From: david@...
            Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:49:54 -0700

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008

              To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
              From: david@...
              Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:49:54 -0700

              On Sunday 14 September 2008 03:46:38 pm George Blumel wrote:
              > The post by McLenden belongs on the LP site, not the RLC group. This is
              > not appropriate for a Republican group. What are you thinking? Anything
              > you do to limit support of the Republican ticket is exactly equal to
              > support for the Obama bin Biden ticket.

              On the other hand, slavish devotion to the Republican Party does nothing to
              advance liberty. How can we possibly influence the party leadership when it
              knows we'll roll over and support whatever statist manages to get on the
              ticket? The attitude of "my party right or wrong" has to go. When the party
              is wrong we must not be afraid to tell it is wrong.

              --
              David Johnson

            • John Conway
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                We need a meeting.  We shouldn't even be talking about any other party here.  The RLC is a tool for change, one of many at our disposal.
                Lets play the part here.  Start another forum and change your E address for other discussions.  Don't think for one minute that we aren't being monitored by others.

                In Liberty,
                John Conway

                Republican Liberty Caucus
                "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"

                To: RLC-Action@yahoogro ups.com
                From: david@usermode. org
                Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:49:54 -0700

                On Sunday 14 September 2008 03:46:38 pm George Blumel wrote:
                > The post by McLenden belongs on the LP site, not the RLC group. This is
                > not appropriate for a Republican group. What are you thinking? Anything
                > you do to limit support of the Republican ticket is exactly equal to
                > support for the Obama bin Biden ticket.

                On the other hand, slavish devotion to the Republican Party does nothing to
                advance liberty. How can we possibly influence the party leadership when it
                knows we'll roll over and support whatever statist manages to get on the
                ticket? The attitude of "my party right or wrong" has to go. When the party
                is wrong we must not be afraid to tell it is wrong.

                --
                David Johnson

              • Louis William Rose
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                  Snnnnoooorrrrrrrrrrr...

                  --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Guy McLendon" <guy@...> wrote:

                  > There is still an opportunity for Ron Paul to be on the ballot in
                  November
                  > 2008. Please call Ron's office, and ask him to accept Bob Barr's
                  offer.

                  > Guy McLendon
                  >

                  > _____

                  utm_source=footer&utm_medium=em
                  > ail&utm_campaign=ProPoweredBy> <http://cp20.com/Tracking/t.o?1RN5-
                  -5bDGv7>

                • George Blumel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008

                    The misconception that Mr Johnson expresses below needs to be put in perspective.  I know of NO RLCer who is “slavish” to anything or anybody, much less a political party; no one except Mr Johnson has ever suggested anything like “my party, right or wrong..”  We are part of the party, not subject to it. We are helping to set the agenda in a libertarian direction and we are succeeding –check out the 2008 Platform and compare it to the 2004 version as one example already.  Mr Johnson and some others seem to think that the party sends out directives and we all jump to it.  They should get involved and find out how the real world works.  We have a lot to do and a long way to go and we don’t need this misinformed negativity in our way. Bring your libertarian principles, knowledge and understanding of our Constitutional Republic and get busy educating and influencing within the party. That’s our purpose and goal.  –Geo.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                      > The misconception that Mr Johnson expresses below needs to be put in
                      > perspective. I know of NO RLCer who is "slavish" to anything or anybody,
                      > much less a political party; no one except Mr Johnson has ever suggested
                      > anything like "my party, right or wrong.." We are part of the party, not
                      > subject to it. We are helping to set the agenda in a libertarian direction
                      > and we are succeeding -check out the 2008 Platform and compare it to the
                      > 2004 version as one example already. Mr Johnson and some others seem to
                      > think that the party sends out directives and we all jump to it. They
                      > should get involved and find out how the real world works. We have a lot
                      > to do and a long way to go and we don't need this misinformed negativity
                      > in our way. Bring your libertarian principles, knowledge and
                      > understanding of our Constitutional Republic and get busy educating and
                      > influencing within the party. That's our purpose and goal. -Geo.

                      My "slavish" statement was directed towards the following quote:

                      "Anything you do to limit support of the Republican ticket is exactly
                      equal to support for the Obama bin Biden ticket."

                      I interpret this as meaning I must support whoever the party nominates no
                      matter what. I cannot do that. I won't work against McCain, but neither
                      can I actively campaign for him. Don't lay a guilt trip on me about
                      enabling Obama.

                      The only power we have as the RLC is our reputation and our support of
                      libertarian candidates. But we lose our reputation when we support
                      non-libertarian candidates. Telling us all to shut up and back McCain
                      emasculates us. It sending a clear signal to the party leadership that we
                      will support anyone they tell us to. We shouldn't be supporting Barr, but
                      neither should we be elbowing our way to the front of McCain's
                      cheerleading section.

                      David Johnson

                      p.s. Regarding that original post urging Ron Paul to accept Barr's offer,
                      I think it's a silly idea am I am in no way endorsing it.
                    • George Blumel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008

                        Actions have consequences: if you refuse to support the candidate of your own professed party, then you are indeed enabling the opponent.  McCain was almost surely not the first choice for president of any RLCer. But when it comes down to two, us and them, it is either us or them. Simple.  Now, looking forward, let’s work hard and make sure that next time the primary winner is as libertarian a candidate as possible.  There are some coming up the line and they need our support.  Look at McCain’s advisors –there are some of our people up there notably Steve Forbes. Now let’s drop this discussion and get to work helping McCain-Palin keep Obama bin Biden from appointing to the Supreme Court those who will take away our Constitution completely (among other devastating anti-libertarian actions.).                         -Geo

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                          George Blumel wrote:
                          > The post by McLenden belongs on the LP site ...

                          I have warned Guy McLendon about posting solicitations
                          for LP projects or campaigns on RLC sites ... but it looks like
                          we'll have to put him on moderated mode. We have absolutely
                          no responsibility to facilitate any LP objectives.

                          But, do note that the RLC has no "litmus test" for becoming
                          a member and participating in this forum. We have a distinct
                          membership class ("Associate Member") for those who are
                          not "affiliated" with the GOP. Those members CANNOT be
                          RLC officers or delegates, nor hold any official position in
                          the RLC, but they can participate in RLC forums.

                          Posted by: "David Johnson"
                          > How can we possibly influence the party leadership when it
                          > knows we'll roll over and support whatever statist ...

                          Be careful about the "we" in this sentence. The RLC does
                          not monitor, enforce, nor purge members who cast a ballot
                          for non-GOP candidates (nor those who participate in any
                          other political party ... ie: "Associates").

                          The RLC itself, a different "we", does not ever endorse
                          any candidate *in opposition to a formal GOP candidate*,
                          but we do - and have - endorsed LP candidates in races
                          where there is no GOP nominee. Even if we do not formally
                          endorsed an official GOP nominee, *as an organization*
                          we implicitly favor GOP candidates over any alternatives.

                          The RLC itself *never* contributes to any campaign,
                          GOP or otherwise. That function is exclusive to RLCUSA-
                          PAC, which is "affiliated with" the RLC, but has a separate
                          Board and checking account.

                          > ... The attitude of "my party right or wrong" has to go.
                          > When the party is wrong we must not be afraid to tell
                          > it is wrong.
                          That's the whole purpose of the RLC: to advance liberty
                          ideals in the GOP ... frequently in direct opposition to the
                          party platform and official GOP candidate positions.

                          But, in order to work *within* the party, we almost never
                          make official RLC statements in opposition to any GOP
                          candidate as an individual. Members and officers are free
                          to criticize any candidate they please, but *may not do
                          so as an official RLC representative* in a public forum.

                          RLC-Action is a *private* forum, for members-only, but
                          we discourage any kind of personal attacks on anyone,
                          candidate or not. Also bear in mind that this forum is
                          for activism, NOT for discussion of candidates or issues.
                          Queries about RLC policy are welcome.

                        • John Conway

                            The misconception that Mr Johnson expresses below needs to be put in perspective.  I know of NO RLCer who is “slavish” to anything or anybody, much less a political party; no one except Mr Johnson has ever suggested anything like “my party, right or wrong..”  We are part of the party, not subject to it. We are helping to set the agenda in a libertarian direction and we are succeeding –check out the 2008 Platform and compare it to the 2004 version as one example already.  Mr Johnson and some others seem to think that the party sends out directives and we all jump to it.  They should get involved and find out how the real world works.  We have a lot to do and a long way to go and we don’t need this misinformed negativity in our way. Bring your libertarian principles, knowledge and understanding of our Constitutional Republic and get busy educating and influencing within the party. That’s our purpose and goal.  –Geo.

                            On Sunday 14 September 2008 03:46:38 pm George Blumel wrote:

                            > The post by McLenden belongs on the LP site, not the RLC group. This is
                            > not appropriate for a Republican group. What are you thinking? Anything
                            > you do to limit support of the Republican ticket is exactly equal to
                            > support for the Obama bin Biden ticket.

                            On the other hand, slavish devotion to the Republican Party does nothing to
                            advance liberty. How can we possibly influence the party leadership when it
                            knows we'll roll over and support whatever statist manages to get on the
                            ticket? The attitude of "my party right or wrong" has to go. When the party
                            is wrong we must not be afraid to tell it is wrong.

                            --
                            David Johnson

                          • Mr geoff broughton
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                              I hate to agree with George on just about anything.  But he is right, this is a Republican group.  We will all make our own choice when we go to cast our ballot for president, i am sure that most of us who came to the Republican party because of Dr. Paul, will feel entirely different about our choices then some others, but there are many other, more appropriate discussion boards to take up the 3rd party cause on.

                              I hate to derail a discussion like this, but has anyone reached out to homeschoolers?  I would bet money that most people who do homeschooling vote Republican, as votes about the topic usually fall along party lines.

                              We were brainstorming about ways we could get more awareness out there about Liberty, and coming up with some curriculum for homeschoolers was mentioned.

                              Geoff