Re: [RLC-Action] Re: What is "too" libertarian

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
      What Ron Paul himself is or is not is hardly relevant here. His campaign and his legacy are permanently tainted by the beliefs and associations of his followers, and that association with fanaticism, extremist beliefs and bigotry is what attaches to anything associated with him, whether deservedly or not. -- Dave Nalle

      The fanatics are responsible for my tempered support of Ron Paul. I was never able to tell my family more than a few basics, because I had to shield them from the fanatics, especially the conspiracy wing. My family is conservative and likes the same things I do about Paul, but the clamoring conspiracy folks would have driven them away. Knowing this about my own family, I am convinced that the loonies are responsible for turning the mainstream Republican against Paul.

      I like a lot of things Paul stands for, but there seems to have been a total disconnect between the man and his followers. The whole campaign was run seemingly without direction or control, and that frustrated me greatly. When asking the Paul campaign for support and direction, we not only got none, but were rebuffed in all attempts to coordinate in any manner with the official campaign headquarters.. It seemed that there were walls built between the insular Paul headquarters and the chaotic individual efforts being conducted on his behalf. I could never understand why every other presidential campaign was coordinating the heck out of its supporters, but we were told not to cross those lines. We were on our own. And as has been observed, getting libertarians to work together is like herding cats, made more frustrating because they take pride in not taking direction from anybody.

      --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---