Re: [RLC-Action] Re: What is "too" libertarian

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 24, 2008
      Sakshale,

      I agree with you. But it is not just a theocracy that will thwart free will.

      Our free will is also thwarted by advocates of the post-modern, secular welfare state, who want to confiscate the fruits of our labor to pay for other people's blunders. The Left wants to make government into a nanny, passing laws "for our own good" and "for the children." Where there is need in the world, we all (not just Christians) are to use our free will to give willingly, with a glad and cheerful heart, as moved by the Spirit. No one has a glad and cheerful heart on April 15.

      Forcefully taking extra taxes from the people for social programs not only thwarts free will, but it also gives some people an excuse to not give personally. They figure it's the government's responsibility, and they figure, "I gave at the office." Worse, very often the money taken from taxpayers is used for things the Spirit would not approve, making us complicate in such moral failures as abortion. Interestingly, progressives give notably less to charity, an affirmation of their belief that government is the almighty benefactor.

      Abortion is an issue that some libertarians view as affecting the rights of the mother, yet other libertarians view it as affecting the rights of the unborn and nearly-born. I obviously subscribe to the latter view. If McCain does not select a veep with strong pro-life credentials, he will certainly lose a very large chunk of much needed support from conservative Christians.

      --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 24, 2008
        >> I do not understand this irrational hatred many RLC members have for
        Ron Paul.
        If someone can explain this to me objectively, I would be appreciative.<<

        I can't speak for anyone else, only for myself. And I don't have an
        irrational hatred.
        I just think that Paul's views and actions do not represent the liberty
        agenda very well
        and that association with him and his movement is more of a liability
        than it once was.
        This is made particularly troublesome because so many hold him up as THE
        symbol
        of the liberty movement and IMO his views are not typical of most
        rational liberty
        oriented people and certainly not representative of those of us who want
        to move the
        idea of liberty more into the mainstream.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 24, 2008
          David:

          What Ron Paul himself is or is not is hardly relevant here. His
          campaign and his
          legacy are permanently tainted by the beliefs and associations of his
          followers, and
          that association with fanaticism, extremist beliefs and bigotry is what
          attaches to
          anything associated with him, whether deservedly or not.

          As for your attempts to defend him personally on these issues, it all
          kind of
          falls flat given his unwillingness to reign in his followers and
          surrogates, and he is
          in fact speaking at the JBS convention, so there's no defense on that
          front at all.

          And you're dead wrong on the religious issue too. It's not just
          abortion, it's also
          his support for prayer in schools and posting the ten commandments on
          government
          property - worse offenses IMO.

          I understand the desire too support Paul for all the good things he has
          done, but
          the truth is more complex than that. I suppose we could add the
          criticism of
          hypocrisy to the list, because that certainly helps explain much. He
          can't get away
          with hiding his real beliefs behind his twisted view of the constitution
          and states
          rights when people are actually paying attention.

          Dave
        • David Johnson
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
            On Sunday 24 August 2008 11:46:36 pm Dave Nalle wrote:
            > And you're dead wrong on the religious issue too. It's not just
            > abortion, it's also his support for prayer in schools and posting the ten
            > commandments on government property - worse offenses IMO.

            I know the anarcho-atheists will hate me for saying so, but I just don't see
            where anyone's life, liberty or property are being damaged by some child
            voluntarily praying in school. Mandatory attendance at teacher directed
            prayer is a different matter, but that's not what the liberals are upset
            about and it's not what Ron Paul is advocating. The problem isn't separation
            of church and state, but the lack of separation of school and state. (I know,
            that's so old it's a cliche, but that doesn't diminish its truth).

            Posting the ten commandments may be trickier, but if they're posted in a
            manner that reflects their historic legal significance rather than in a
            religious proselytory way, then I still don't have a problem with it. Absent
            direct tax funding, what force is being initiated by it? Who is being
            damaged? What property is being violated?

            --
            David Johnson
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
              What Ron Paul himself is or is not is hardly relevant here. His campaign and his legacy are permanently tainted by the beliefs and associations of his followers, and that association with fanaticism, extremist beliefs and bigotry is what attaches to anything associated with him, whether deservedly or not. -- Dave Nalle

              The fanatics are responsible for my tempered support of Ron Paul. I was never able to tell my family more than a few basics, because I had to shield them from the fanatics, especially the conspiracy wing. My family is conservative and likes the same things I do about Paul, but the clamoring conspiracy folks would have driven them away. Knowing this about my own family, I am convinced that the loonies are responsible for turning the mainstream Republican against Paul.

              I like a lot of things Paul stands for, but there seems to have been a total disconnect between the man and his followers. The whole campaign was run seemingly without direction or control, and that frustrated me greatly. When asking the Paul campaign for support and direction, we not only got none, but were rebuffed in all attempts to coordinate in any manner with the official campaign headquarters.. It seemed that there were walls built between the insular Paul headquarters and the chaotic individual efforts being conducted on his behalf. I could never understand why every other presidential campaign was coordinating the heck out of its supporters, but we were told not to cross those lines. We were on our own. And as has been observed, getting libertarians to work together is like herding cats, made more frustrating because they take pride in not taking direction from anybody.

              --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---