RE: [RLC-Action] Congressional term limits petition a simple, fun project

  • George Blumel
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008

      Almost all of us who begin with a freedom perspective have the same initial feeling for term limits. But it usually doesn't take long to discover why limiting terms is a necessary restraint on government and not a restraint on our freedom to vote for whomever we like.  Without mandatory limits we have very few competitive elections --in congress, for example, 98% of incumbents are reelected as the advantages of incumbency are overwhelming for challengers. Entrenched professional politicians are in there for life with very precious few exceptions.  Check out www.termlimits.org   Thomas Jefferson put it this way:

      "To prevent every danger which might arise to American freedom from continuing too long in office, it is earnestly recommended that we set an obligation on the holder of that office to go out after a certain period."

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2008
        Friends,

        I hope you had a chance to sign the term limits petition at
        http://www.termlimits.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=28

        I posted a story www.rlc.org/blog about it. If you send around a link
        to this story to all the Republicans you know, you can promote the RLC
        while promoting the petition.

        Thanks!

        Philip Blumel
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2008
          Philip,

          I need a good, strong counter argument for folks who say, "We already have 'term limits,' enforceable through the ballot box." Of course, "enforceable" and "enforced" seem to be a universe apart, as evidenced by career politicians like the Kennedy's, and one might argue, the Bush family, whose family dynasty was interrupted only because the "Draft Jeb for President" campaign didn't grow any legs.
          I felt mighty nervous about Jeb Bush, when his followers first started promoting him, though the Bush name now appears to be Mudd. I don't like nepotism or family dynasties, especially when they put on airs of royalty. I used to just about puke watching the Hollywonks swoon over the so-called Camelot of the Kennedy clan.

          Most companies in the private sector are very concerned about nepotism, as evidenced by the standard questions on a job application ... the ones that ask if any other member of your family works for the company. Maybe we should look harder at nepotism throughout the federal system.

          Friends,

          I hope you had a chance to sign the term limits petition at http://www.termlimits.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=28

          I posted a story www.rlc.org/blog about it. If you send around a link to this story to all the Republicans you know, you can promote the RLC while promoting the petition.

          Thanks!

          Philip Blumel

          --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---