Congressional term limits petition a simple, fun project

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5 6:15 AM
      As you may or may not know, the RLC was born in 1990 just as the wave
      of state term limits referendum campaigns were gearing up. Many of
      the original RLCers were term limits activists who traveled the
      country working on the term limits campaigns. These included Paul
      Jacon and myself, both of us serving stints at president of the DC-
      based U.S. Term Limits.

      In any case, that's just FYI. Here is a project USTL just launched
      that could make a worthwhile and simple campaign for your local RLC.
      I would certainly appreciate posting a message like the one below
      regarding the petition on your statewide Yahoo discussion group.

      +++++

      Friend,

      We need term limits for the U.S. Congress!

      Term limits would ensure competitive elections, bring real-world
      experience to the legislature, spread power more equally throughout
      the country, sever the relationships between special interests and
      entrenched incumbents and bring the Congress closer to the people.

      In the early 1990s, state after state approved Congressional term
      limits until the Supreme Court pulled the plug, deciding that voters
      can't impose term limits by individual referenda. It had to be done
      by Constitutional amendment. So while term limits continue to sweep
      America -- with term limited governors, state legislators and city
      council members -- the effort to term limit Congress hit a brick wall.

      It is time something be done about it.

      In an effort to show the powers that be that Americans want to see
      cleaner, more accessible government, U.S. Term Limits has launched a
      permanent online petition calling for term limits on the U.S.
      Congress.

      Please help! Here's how:

      1. Sign the petition at http://tinyurl.com/59rjty

      2. Send this link to everyone on your email lists. Polls show that
      nearly everyone -- including Democrats, Republicans *and*
      Independents -- support term limits. Try it, you'll find even your
      apolitical friends will be eager to sign on.

      3. Make a contribution to U.S. Term Limits so we can give millions of
      Americans the opportunity to have their voice heard.

      Rotation in office and the citizen legislator was once an American
      tradition and, with your help, will be again. Thank you!

      Philip Blumel, president
      U.S. Term Limits, www.termlimits.org

      "To prevent every danger which might arise to American freedom from
      continuing too long in office, it is earnestly recommended that we
      set an obligation on the holder of that office to go out after a
      certain period." -- Thomas Jefferson
    • Will Adkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5 6:26 AM
        I've been torn on this issue. I hate the idea of an elected official getting
        into office for life and apparently losing touch with their constituency.
        However, if a voter strongly feels that the long-term incumbent is the best
        person for the job and best represents their views, shouldn't the voter be
        allowed to cast their ballot for that person? Or, should we, through the
        coercive power of government, force them to choose between candidates that
        may not represent their views at all?

        For me, it's a balancing act between government reform and granting
        individuals the personal freedom to vote for their candidate of choice (and
        live with the consequences).

        If anyone wishes to reply, I'd suggest moving this to the RLC-Discussion
        group.
        -Will

[...]

        Checked by AVG.
        6:03 AM

        Checked by AVG.
        6:03 AM
      • George Blumel
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5 9:01 AM

          Almost all of us who begin with a freedom perspective have the same initial feeling for term limits. But it usually doesn't take long to discover why limiting terms is a necessary restraint on government and not a restraint on our freedom to vote for whomever we like.  Without mandatory limits we have very few competitive elections --in congress, for example, 98% of incumbents are reelected as the advantages of incumbency are overwhelming for challengers. Entrenched professional politicians are in there for life with very precious few exceptions.  Check out www.termlimits.org   Thomas Jefferson put it this way:

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6 11:03 AM
            Friends,

            I hope you had a chance to sign the term limits petition at
            http://www.termlimits.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=28

            I posted a story www.rlc.org/blog about it. If you send around a link
            to this story to all the Republicans you know, you can promote the RLC
            while promoting the petition.

            Thanks!

            Philip Blumel
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6 1:31 PM
              Philip,

              I need a good, strong counter argument for folks who say, "We already have 'term limits,' enforceable through the ballot box." Of course, "enforceable" and "enforced" seem to be a universe apart, as evidenced by career politicians like the Kennedy's, and one might argue, the Bush family, whose family dynasty was interrupted only because the "Draft Jeb for President" campaign didn't grow any legs.
              I felt mighty nervous about Jeb Bush, when his followers first started promoting him, though the Bush name now appears to be Mudd. I don't like nepotism or family dynasties, especially when they put on airs of royalty. I used to just about puke watching the Hollywonks swoon over the so-called Camelot of the Kennedy clan.

              Most companies in the private sector are very concerned about nepotism, as evidenced by the standard questions on a job application ... the ones that ask if any other member of your family works for the company. Maybe we should look harder at nepotism throughout the federal system.

              Friends,

              I hope you had a chance to sign the term limits petition at http://www.termlimits.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=28

              I posted a story www.rlc.org/blog about it. If you send around a link to this story to all the Republicans you know, you can promote the RLC while promoting the petition.

              Thanks!

              Philip Blumel

              --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---