RE: [RLC-Action] Brochures

  • Steven J Burden
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
      David,

      Bravo for the effort. The best person I know of for Prinitng advice is woody engle, RLCFL At-Large excom member and all around nice guy.

      -Steve

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
        On Friday 11 July 2008 02:32:03 pm Mark Cross EA wrote:
        > Try www.vistaprint.com

        Hmmm, cheaper, but still higher than what I was expecting. I'll have to
        solicit donations if I want to do this. It's way out of my personal budget.

        --
        David Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
          >>I came up with a localized RLC brochure for our meetup, and went down to
          Kinkos to see about printing up 500 trifolds. OMG! The price was around a
          dollar a copy for color. The folding cost was only 3 cents a copy, so the
          majority of the price was color and paper. Even B&W is around 25 cents a
          copy.<<

          Time to invest in a color laser printer. Office Depot sells them at
          discount
          periodically. I'd recommend the Okidata 3xxx or 5xxx series. They use 5
          color toner and do beautiful color prints for about 5 cents a page. They
          cost about $300 on sale, but it's well worth the investment.

          Dave
        • David Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
            On Friday 11 July 2008 09:58:21 pm Dave Nalle wrote:
            > Time to invest in a color laser printer. Office Depot sells them at
            > discount
            > periodically. I'd recommend the Okidata 3xxx or 5xxx series. They use 5
            > color toner and do beautiful color prints for about 5 cents a page. They
            > cost about $300 on sale, but it's well worth the investment.

            That's a really good idea. I would have to check what the cost per page is in
            the long run, considering toner replacement and paper, but I it's cheaper
            than Kinkos or VistaPrint for small runs. I'll have to think about it.

            p.s. Or there is the possibility of doing a really big run, and splitting the
            cost. Anyone out there interested in chipping in for a big run of brochures?
            Email me off list. If there's enough interest I might consider it.

            --
            David Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
              Posted by: "David Johnson"
              > That's a really good idea ...

                  If you're only doing small runs, but insist on color,
              you can get a color inkjet for $50. Of course, the color
              ink can run $50 and might get you 250-500 copies.
                  Note that National (email me) has several RLC
              brochures that can be modified with local info and
              printed on your PC as required.

              > Or there is the possibility of doing a really big run ...
                  I've considered asking National to do a big run of
              our standard brochures. The problem is that shipping
              costs can easily exceed local printing costs ... and
              you'd have to reprint local info (or get a rubber stamp).