Brochures

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
      I came up with a localized RLC brochure for our meetup, and went down to
      Kinkos to see about printing up 500 trifolds. OMG! The price was around a
      dollar a copy for color. The folding cost was only 3 cents a copy, so the
      majority of the price was color and paper. Even B&W is around 25 cents a
      copy.

      The color sample did come out quite nice, even with OpenOffice and 300dpi
      images, and I would love to have these to hand out at GOP booths.

      Is Kinkos just the wrong sort of place to do printing like this? Am I being
      silly for wanting such small runs? Any advice and suggestions in this area
      would be appreciated.

      --
      David Johnson
    • Mark Cross EA

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
          David,

          Bravo for the effort. The best person I know of for Prinitng advice is woody engle, RLCFL At-Large excom member and all around nice guy.

          -Steve

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
            On Friday 11 July 2008 02:32:03 pm Mark Cross EA wrote:
            > Try www.vistaprint.com

            Hmmm, cheaper, but still higher than what I was expecting. I'll have to
            solicit donations if I want to do this. It's way out of my personal budget.

            --
            David Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
              >>I came up with a localized RLC brochure for our meetup, and went down to
              Kinkos to see about printing up 500 trifolds. OMG! The price was around a
              dollar a copy for color. The folding cost was only 3 cents a copy, so the
              majority of the price was color and paper. Even B&W is around 25 cents a
              copy.<<

              Time to invest in a color laser printer. Office Depot sells them at
              discount
              periodically. I'd recommend the Okidata 3xxx or 5xxx series. They use 5
              color toner and do beautiful color prints for about 5 cents a page. They
              cost about $300 on sale, but it's well worth the investment.

              Dave
            • David Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
                On Friday 11 July 2008 09:58:21 pm Dave Nalle wrote:
                > Time to invest in a color laser printer. Office Depot sells them at
                > discount
                > periodically. I'd recommend the Okidata 3xxx or 5xxx series. They use 5
                > color toner and do beautiful color prints for about 5 cents a page. They
                > cost about $300 on sale, but it's well worth the investment.

                That's a really good idea. I would have to check what the cost per page is in
                the long run, considering toner replacement and paper, but I it's cheaper
                than Kinkos or VistaPrint for small runs. I'll have to think about it.

                p.s. Or there is the possibility of doing a really big run, and splitting the
                cost. Anyone out there interested in chipping in for a big run of brochures?
                Email me off list. If there's enough interest I might consider it.

                --
                David Johnson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
                  Posted by: "David Johnson"
                  > That's a really good idea ...

                      If you're only doing small runs, but insist on color,
                  you can get a color inkjet for $50. Of course, the color
                  ink can run $50 and might get you 250-500 copies.
                      Note that National (email me) has several RLC
                  brochures that can be modified with local info and
                  printed on your PC as required.

                  > Or there is the possibility of doing a really big run ...
                      I've considered asking National to do a big run of
                  our standard brochures. The problem is that shipping
                  costs can easily exceed local printing costs ... and
                  you'd have to reprint local info (or get a rubber stamp).