Another Intro

  • Joe Haynes
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2005
      I was a previous member a while back and have come back to get a
      little more involved.

      I am currently an LP member and registered Libertarian here in
      Florida. I want to run in 2008 for state senate but am torn between
      running as an LP candidate or switching back to the GOP.

      Over the last two election cycles, the LP candidates here in Florida
      have been garnering increasing numbers of votes, but still get ignored
      in the media as being non-viable or candidates with positions that are
      not "mainstream".

      I feel that if I remain as an LP candidate that I will be ignored like
      most minor party candidates and not get asked to debates or other
      public appearances where the incumbent GOP senator will be.

      Am seeking honest advice and input before I file my paperwork. I am
      prepared to change registration back to GOP in order to run, but want
      some seasoned advice on the practicality of doing so.

      What does the RLC offer to candidates as far as assisting with
      campaigns, helping with fundrasing, advertising, etc? Any resources
      that you can point me to would be great.

      I will cross post this to the RLCFL group as well.

      Yours in Liberty,
      Joe Haynes
      Seminole, FL
    • blood_pasta
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2005
        Joe,

        This depends on what you are looking for.

        Is your goal to make the LP more acceptable? If so, run as a
        Libertarian and demand attention during your race, even if it means
        you stand a big chance of losing.

        Is your goal to get elected and enact libertarian policies? If so,
        switch to the GOP and drag them back to their pro-freedom roots from
        the inside.

        Personally, I favor the latter -- the goal should be to enact good
        legislation. Whether this is accomplished by people with a little (L)
        or a little (R) next to their name is irrelevant.

        Sean

        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Haynes" <conpharm@t...> wrote:

        > I was a previous member a while back and have come back to get a
        > little more involved.
        >
        > I am currently an LP member and registered Libertarian here in
        > Florida. I want to run in 2008 for state senate but am torn between
        > running as an LP candidate or switching back to the GOP.
        >
        > Over the last two election cycles, the LP candidates here in Florida
        > have been garnering increasing numbers of votes, but still get
        ignored
        > in the media as being non-viable or candidates with positions that
        are
        > not "mainstream".
        >
        > I feel that if I remain as an LP candidate that I will be ignored
        like
        > most minor party candidates and not get asked to debates or other
        > public appearances where the incumbent GOP senator will be.
        >
        > Am seeking honest advice and input before I file my paperwork. I am
        > prepared to change registration back to GOP in order to run, but
        want
        > some seasoned advice on the practicality of doing so.
        >
        > What does the RLC offer to candidates as far as assisting with
        > campaigns, helping with fundrasing, advertising, etc? Any resources
        > that you can point me to would be great.
        >
        > I will cross post this to the RLCFL group as well.
        >
        > Yours in Liberty,
        > Joe Haynes
        > Seminole, FL
      • Ray Holtorf
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2005
          Joe,

          Run on the GOP if you have a chance of getting their
          nomination. The resource difference is appreciable.

          Be prepared for one thing, though. If you have a
          Republican opponent in the primary, they can and will
          hold your LP activity against you - even if they are
          smart enough not to do it publicly. They may whisper
          behind your back that you are a radical to people who
          might otherwise agree more with you.

          In my experience, it is best to throw your LP activism
          out there right up front, and deal with the issue on
          your own terms.

          Ray Holtorf - Iowa

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/PdSolB/TM

          =====
          Ray HoltorfDirector, National Board, Republican Liberty Caucus (www.rlc.org)Ray@.../Ray"Promoters of big government programs should note that there are no famous quotes from brilliant people extolling increasing the size or power of government."

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail