Put Your $$ Where Your Mouth Is ...

  • Guy McLendon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008

      Hey dudes … we have a campaign to run, and a candidate to support.

      Please take this moment to open your wallets, and “walk the walk”.

      http://www.bobbarr2008.com/

      From the perspective of the American electorate, Bob Barr is the most viable candidate we’ve had in many election cycles …

      Liberty needs a voice, and Americans need a choice.

      The Republicans & Democrats are not our voice, and they give us no choice.

      Please help put the LP into the playing field.  Bob Barr can’t do this alone.

      I just dropped another $100 into Bob’s campaign coffers … will you please do the same?

      Guy McLendon

      Chair Harris County LP

      Houston, Texas

      www.harrislp.org

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
        Takes some balls to spam this to a bunch of RLC lists and
        claim that "we" have a candidate to support when soliciting
        for Bob Barr. Not that he isn't a fine fellow, but he's not
        running as a Republican, now is he?

        Dave
      • Chris Edes
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
          I also hear he eats his bread butter side down!  A Zook if ever I saw one.

          Chris

          Takes some balls to spam this to a bunch of RLC lists and
          claim that "we" have a candidate to support when soliciting
          for Bob Barr. Not that he isn't a fine fellow, but he's not
          running as a Republican, now is he?

          Dave

        • Louis William Rose
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
            My mouth says that I am a Republican and that is where my money is
            going.

            --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Guy McLendon" <guy@...> wrote:

            > Hey dudes . we have a campaign to run, and a candidate to support.
            >

            > Please take this moment to open your wallets, and "walk the walk".
            >

            > http://www.bobbarr2008.com/
            >

            > From the perspective of the American electorate, Bob Barr is the
            most viable
            > candidate we've had in many election cycles .
            >

            > Liberty needs a voice, and Americans need a choice.
            >

            > The Republicans & Democrats are not our voice, and they give us no
            choice.

            > Please help put the LP into the playing field. Bob Barr can't do
            this
            > alone.
            >

            > I just dropped another $100 into Bob's campaign coffers . will you
            please do
            > the same?
            >

            > Guy McLendon
            >
            > Chair Harris County LP
            >
            > Houston, Texas
            >
            > www.harrislp.org <http://www.harrislp.org/>

          • john heard

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
                Please move this discussion to RLC-Discuss, or just terminate it.

                Guy McLendon <guy@mclendon. net> wrote:

                Hey dudes … we have a campaign to run, and a candidate to support.
                Please take this moment to open your wallets, and “walk the walk”.
                Liberty needs a voice, and Americans need a choice.
                The Republicans & Democrats are not our voice, and they give us no choice.
                < Arial;">Chair Harris County LP
                Houston, Texas

              • Mr geoff broughton
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
                  This conversation is something for RLC-discuss instead of this one.  And while i will never cast my vote for John McCain, it is poor form to solicit contributions for another parties candidate on this web list.  I am sure most of us are aware of not only Bob Barr, but also Chuck Baldwin, and we can make the choice that is right for us.

                  Geoff

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
                    On Wednesday 11 June 2008 07:57:15 am john heard wrote:
                    > if you want to insure an Obama victory in Nov., then go ahead and vote for
                    > Barr, dilute the Republican voter base, and enjoy the consequences.

                    I am not a Republican because I think this is a sports team that I must root
                    for right or wrong. I am a Republican because I feel it is the best vehicle
                    for getting getting libertarians, classic liberals, and old-right
                    conservative candidates in office. I believe in small government, for both
                    pragmatic and moral reasons. Not just a smaller rate of growth in government,
                    but a government that is significantly smaller in size.

                    As such, I cannot vote for Obama. But neither can I vote for McCain. I have
                    seen nothing to suggest that McCain would reduce the size of government.

                    In terms of action, I'm looking for good candidates to support at the local
                    and state level. But at the national level Bob Barr is the only candidate I
                    can consider supporting.

                    --
                    David Johnson
                  • George Blumel
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008

                      David, you have made yourself irrelevant. But if you want to get back in the arena read a real libertarian’s --Thomas Sowell-- answer to “Obama or McCain” :

                      Now that the two parties have finally selected their presidential candidates, it is time for a sober-- if not grim-- assessment of where we are.

                      Not since 1972 have we been presented with two such painfully inadequate candidates. When election day came that year, I could not bring myself to vote for either George McGovern or Richard Nixon. I stayed home.

                      This year, none of us has that luxury. While all sorts of gushing is going on in the media, and posturing is going on in politics, the biggest national sponsor of terrorism in the world-- Iran-- is moving step by step toward building a nuclear bomb.

                      The point when they get that bomb will be the point of no return. Iran 's nuclear bomb will be the terrorists' nuclear bomb-- and they can make 9/11 look like child's play.

                      All the options that are on the table right now will be swept off the table forever. Our choices will be to give in to whatever the terrorists demand-- however outrageous those demands might be-- or to risk seeing American cities start disappearing in radioactive mushroom clouds.

                      All the things we are preoccupied with today, from the price of gasoline to health care to global warming, will suddenly no longer matter.

                      Just as the Nazis did not find it enough to simply kill people in their concentration camps, but had to humiliate and dehumanize them first, so we can expect terrorists with nuclear weapons to both humiliate us and force us to humiliate ourselves, before they finally start killing us.

                      They have already telegraphed their punches with their sadistic beheadings of innocent civilians, and with the popularity of videotapes of those beheadings in the Middle East .

                      They have already telegraphed their intention to dictate to us with such things as Osama bin Laden's threats to target those places in America that did not vote the way he prescribed in the 2004 elections. He could not back up those threats then but he may be able to in a very few years.

                      The terrorists have given us as clear a picture of what they are all about as Adolf Hitler and the Nazis did during the 1930s-- and our "leaders" and intelligentsia have ignored the warning signs as resolutely as the "leaders" and intelligentsia of the 1930s downplayed the dangers of Hitler.

                      We are much like people drifting down the Niagara River , oblivious to the waterfalls up ahead. Once we go over those falls, we cannot come back up again.

                      What does this have to do with today's presidential candidates? It has everything to do with them.

                      One of these candidates will determine what we are going to do to stop Iran from going nuclear-- or whether we are going to do anything other than talk, as Western leaders talked in the 1930s.

                      There is one big difference between now and the 1930s. Although the West's lack of military preparedness and its political irresolution led to three solid years of devastating losses to Nazi Germany and imperial Japan , nevertheless when all the West's industrial and military forces were finally mobilized, the democracies were able to turn the tide and win decisively.

                      But you cannot lose a nuclear war for three years and then come back. You cannot even sustain the will to resist for three years when you are first broken down morally by threats and then devastated by nuclear bombs.

                      Our one window of opportunity to prevent this will occur within the term of whoever becomes President of the United States next January.

                      At a time like this, we do not have the luxury of waiting for our ideal candidate or of indulging our emotions by voting for some third party candidate to show our displeasure-- at the cost of putting someone in the White House who is not up to the job.

                      Senator John McCain has been criticized in this column many times. But, when all is said and done, Senator McCain has not spent decades aiding and abetting people who hate America .

                      On the contrary, he has paid a huge price for resisting our enemies, even when they held him prisoner and tortured him. The choice between him and Barack Obama should be a no-brainer.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
                          Posted by: "Guy McLendon"
                          > Hey dudes . we have a campaign to run ...

                              This is not an LP forum. Members may help any
                          campaign they please, but RLC resources should not
                          be used to promote candidates who are not even
                          endorsed by the RLC. I don't normally moderate
                          this forum, but will preclude future postings on
                          this topic. Discussion of the impact of Barr's
                          campaign on the GOP are welcome at our other
                          eGroup, RLC-Discuss ... but not solicitations to
                          participate in any LP activities.
                          Bill

                          Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
                        • Barry Moore
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008

                            In a speech at the "ice cream social" in Houston. But who knows, the media could be wrong.

                            I could eat glass.

                          • George Blumel
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 15, 2008

                              Louis is right, of course.  Guy says Barr is a “viable” candidate. Guy needs a dictionary and some thoughtful reflection. As bad as the Repub candidate is in many important ways, Obama is infinitely worse for the Republic –and it is the Republic that we must work to preserve. As for Barr, if you just reported his conservative votes over the years, he would look good. But, his subsequent work with the ACLU against the Homeland Security is appalling.  Barr, like other notable pols, voted for it before he decided to be against it. He authored the Defense of Marriage Act and now, on the ACLU payroll, he opposes the Federal Marriage Amendment.  Talk about Jeremiah Wright damning America –ACLU was there first.  I’m sure that there are other good reasons to oppose Barr as there certainly are reasons to oppose the other two candidates. But think about the Republic –what does a vote for Barr accomplish?  It would probably help Obama, right?  As bad as McCain is, he will have some solid people around him and that may help us get through his four years by which time we can regroup and recover. Would we recover from an Obama + Dem House and Senate?   Surely not without a lot more damage.

                              Here’s a plan: hold your nose and vote for McCain. But work hard for good libertarian/conservative candidates for congress –we have quite a few opportunities including a good one in my district, Allen West (#22 FL).  Check out the www.clubforgrowth.org for the others.  –Geo.

                              My mouth says that I am a Republican and that is where my money is
                              going.

                              --- In RLC-Action@yahoogro ups.com, "Guy McLendon" <guy@...> wrote:

                              > Hey dudes . we have a campaign to run, and a candidate to support.
                              >

                              > Please take this moment to open your wallets, and "walk the
                              walk".

                              > http://www.bobbarr2 008.com/
                              >

                              > From the perspective of the American electorate, Bob Barr is the
                              most viable
                              > candidate we've had in many election cycles .
                              >

                              > Liberty
                              needs a voice, and Americans need a choice.

                              > The Republicans & Democrats are not our voice, and they give us no
                              choice.

                              > Please help put the LP into the playing field. Bob Barr can't do
                              this
                              > alone.
                              >

                              > I just dropped another $100 into Bob's campaign coffers . will you
                              please do
                              > the same?
                              >

                              > Guy McLendon
                              >
                              > Chair Harris County