RE: [RLC-Action] Re: GOP Convention Booth

  • Laura Ebke
    Message 1 of 17 , May 14, 2008

      I’m the new coordinator for Nebraska (which has never had an RLC Charter before)—we should be chartered early this summer (as soon as I get around to getting all of the paperwork filled out).  A few thoughts that seem to me sort of appropriate given the conversation that’s been going on with respect to charter, groups, activities we should be engaging in, etc.

      Jeff Palmer has a nice little “tried and true method for building a state RLC” letter which he sent me—I’ve used it as the basic framework for our efforts.

      Bill Westmiller sent me a number of brochures and chartering information.  Aaron Biterman has provided encouragement and information, as well.

      We started by simply finding Ron Paul supporters in our state—some new Republicans, some of us older Republicans.  We made the pitch that this was a way for us to stay connected, and perhaps, with time, have an impact on the party.  We’re in good shape for the chartering process, and hope to be in better shape soon as more members jump on as we get closer to our first “convention” in July.

      What you’ve really got to have is 2 or 3 dedicated folks who will take the bull by the horns (or the elephant by the trunk), and just get the process started.  We have a couple of places (Lincoln and Omaha, especially), where there might be some call for local organizations, but we’re thinking that at this point, we’ll encourage those groups—rather than trying to be “chartered” to just be recognized elements of the state chartered group, and to use Meetup or some other social networking tool to manage any of their gatherings locally.  If they want to recommend—at some point—candidates to be endorsed at the local level, that would still be done by our state organization.  We’d need to get awfully big before it would make sense to have anything more than a very loose structure for local groups.

      The important thing, I think, is that everyone needs to recognize that this is a volunteer driven organization.  There is no paid staff.  If you want to make things happen locally (or in your state), YOU need to do it.  I’ve found that the national folks have been very accommodating when I’ve asked questions, requested information, etc.  I usually get a response within a few hours—certainly within 12 (if I’ve sent an e-mail late at night).  Within a general framework, there’s a lot of room for creativity and individual initiative—just like there has been in the Paul campaign.  Don’t expect the “guys at the top” to fulfill your every need, but I suspect that there are plenty of people out there who are happy to consult with you on real questions that you might have.  We’ve found that to be the case.

      We do not intend to be “just another rebel faction” here in Nebraska, though.  We have a number of our members who either are, or will soon be, County GOP Chairs, and some of them are going to make runs for the State GOP Central Committee this summer.  We intend to have significant numbers of our folks at the State GOP Convention, and we’ll be sporting our “The RLC is Here” buttons.  Think big, but start small.  Just start.

      Message 2 of 17 , May 14, 2008
        Message
        >I agree with you in concept, but don't see much indication that there is anything going on in the RLC at the grassroots level.  We asked about forming a local chapter and were told they weren't supported.  We asked about support for grassroots activities and were told state wide action was all that counted.

        Told by whom??  Local RLC chapters are active in many parts of the country.  The Florida RLC, for example, has reportedly converted every Ron Paul Meetup in the state into an RLC group.  Here in North Carolina, we're doing the same (although with more than 30 Meetups in the state, organizing many of the smaller ones may be a bit optimistic).

        >There must be tools out there that we can use, but no one seems to be discussing them or pointing to them out.

        Let's discuss them.  That's what RLC-Action is for!

        I have found organizing local RLC groups to be relatively easy, especially recently with the winding down of the Ron Paul movement:

        -- Find a centralized location (e.g., sports bar) with a separate meeting room, schedule just an informal get-together, invite all members of the local Ron Paul Meetup group(s), pass out membership applications and some basic RLC literature, talk about the RLC, and repeat every one to two weeks.  Within a few weeks, you'll have a core group; schedule an election (of interim local chapter board members if you are in a chartered state--of interim state chapter board members if you are in an unchartered state), and then worry about the paperwork later.  (Model state bylaws are available at www.rlc.org.)

        -- Start using a sig line similar to mine below for postings to Ron Paul and other appropriate eGroups.  This will get the RLC name out with minimal effort.  (I delete the "Formerly chaired by Ron Paul line for non-Ron Paul audiences.)

        -- Organize World's Smallest Political Quiz-based tabling membership drives at state YR, GOP, and similar conventions (both to attract new members and to give your current members something to do).  Schedule a statewide RLC meeting in conjunction with a statewide GOP or YR convention--preferably towards the end so that new members attracted by the membership outreach table can participate.

        -- Monitor message traffic from Ron Paul Meetups from around the state and identify relatively sane-sounding individuals who "get" the concept of working the GOP, gush over their great contributions, invite them to join you at the state-wide events, and encourage them to seed RLC organizations in their areas.  Make every effort to physically visit their group's meetings to foster a team spirit and inter-chapter competitiveness.  Set up Google groups in every area of the state with a substantive Ron Paul Meetup group to give new RLC groups a jump start.

        -- Encourage all members to become engaged in their local GOP and GOP affiliates, and post all local GOP and related events on your Meetup site or website.  In some places where the local GOP(s) has/have not maintained such a consolidate list, the RLC can fill that void and attract appreciative traffic from members of the Party at-large.

        -- Trumpet successes--whether of the organization or of individual members--to your state RLC Yahoo group to inspire others.

        That's it off the top of my head.  Let's start a discussion about other approaches!

        Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
        Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
        ”Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
        (Formerly chaired by Ron Paul, the RLC is the natural vehicle for sustaining our movement beyond the campaign. Please Join!)

         * * *
        National RLC — http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RLC-Action ; www.rlc.org
        Asheville RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/asheville-area-rlc
        Cape Fear RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/cfrlc
        Charlotte RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/charlotte-area-rlc
        Triad-Area RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/triad-area-nc-rlc
        Triangle-Area RLC — http://rlc.meetup.com/92/
        * * *
        Quotes of the Week: “The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of advancing limited government; you don’t just talk about it... What you do really makes a difference.” — Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
        “I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian Republican. The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian Republicans to office.” — U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

        Message 3 of 17 , May 14, 2008
          On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Sakshale eQuorian wrote:
          > We need a grassroots movement and we will create one from scratch if
          > needed.
          >
          > It would be nice if the RLC was part of it... but, we will do it with or
          > without the RLC.

          If we can't have an officially blessed "chapter", there's nothing stopping us
          from having an RLC Meetup! It would be even easier, as we don't have to worry
          about bylaws and minutes and stuff.

          Our state chairman is worried that local groups would be social groups. So
          what?!?! If our chairman thinks that a political organization is not supposed
          to be social, then that does a lot to explain why our state has such a
          moribund RLC!

          I'm busy campaigning for a local office, but after the June election I'll have
          time to move on this. My suggestion would be to start a new RLC meetup,
          rather than try to convert the existing RP meetup.

          --
          David Johnson
        • sarah lovett
          Message 4 of 17 , May 15, 2008
            Dave which state are you referring too?  I know we have started a RLC in North Florida and our first meeting had over 40 people.  We also had snacks and socializing..adult beverages and all.  We are planning all sorts of fun events as well as working on the larger plan of filling precinct committee man and women positions.  If you want to grow the GOP base then the bottom of the pyramid must be strong with liked minded Republicans.

            As far as rules and bylaws...you actually have those to protect you from the leadership and vice versa.  You also use a relaxed form of parliamentary procedure etc to make sure you can accomplish tasks and that all persons are heard at the meeting.  Not to mention when you are participating in your local REC meetings or caucuses you will be able to ensure things are indeed on the up and up and maybe even pass changes to the REC bylaws and eventually elect some state committee people in that can influence the platform etc etc. We actually have been blessed with a parliamentarian that is willing to guide us and help us become more familiar with the how's and why's of using these rules.  We have some people teaching constitution classes, we are planning documentary showings as both fund raisers and educational outlets..the list goes on.  But right now we are specifically focused on growing the bottom of the pyramid. We also have several lunches and chitter chatter groups meeting and after the REC meeting there are a group of us that definitely take the politics to the pub...thats where the real politics are!!! There is a lot of work to be done and everyone must realize it will not happen over night.

            Successful endeavors are a product of planning and forethought as well as using rules to make sure the people do indeed have a voice.  So anyone that is out there that just doesn't know where to start the very first thing without any formal organization would be to take your activist and fill those precinct person positions.  You can do this even if they will not let you into your local REC for whatever reason. Just ask your Supervisor of Elections for a form.  The GOP cannot afford to lose any warm bodies, regardless of your feelings on the presumed nominee, you need to make sure your county has more like minded individuals voting and vying for leadership seats, especially at the lowest levels. This is the epitome of getting involved...you must multiply yourself as many times as you can NOW or it might be 8 years before we see anything happen instead of 4.

            And just an observation, it always great to be in like minded company and feel all warm and cozy, but you must be talking to those people that have not seen the light of liberty.  Its much harder to put yourself out there when we think in this perspective.  When you go to your REC meeting do you sit with your friends or do you sit with your potential friends?  Hope this helps.  Sarah

            Message 5 of 17 , May 15, 2008
              Posted by: "W. Guy Finley" wgfinley@...
              > I've been biting my tongue on this for a while folks ...

              Ouch. You are absolutely right about focusing on very
              local GOP activism ... retail politics. However, I think there
              is a residual benefit to local activism when the RLC can
              increase its *visibility* among party regulars at major GOP
              events ... that improves our credibility and reach.
              Assuming that your view of the national convention is
              correct - I think it is - what can RLC members *do* at the
              convention that will add to our visibility?

              Obviously, the maximum visibility would be achieved
              with a booth that is seen by all delegates. As best I can
              tell, that's out of the question.
              The minimum visibility is to simply encourage any RLC
              members attending to wear an RLC lapel pin. If that's
              only a handful of delegates/alternates, and only gets the
              attention of a handful of party regulars, that's something -
              not nothing.

              At this point, I think we should at least try to get all
              members who plan to attend "connected" to this RLC
              eGroup, to decide what other things might be done.
              Let's start by making a list of those attending. At this
              point, I see probable attendees:

              rukbat1@...
              michaelafranks@...
              graball@...
              jap1@...
              ... so let's build the list and get their feedback on
              what they can and will be able to do at the convention.

              I'm sure "National" is happy to help. At minimum, we
              can offer free RLC lapel pins to anyone attending. But,
              we need *bodies* (actually brains) that are willing to
              actually *do* other visibility projects at the convention.

              favorites at AOL Food.
            • rukbat1@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 17 , May 15, 2008
                THis is an FYI, I am not a Delage or Alt to National, just State, but I live within 10 min of the convention and would be willing to help with what I can do.  I've also volunteered to work the convention but have not been assigned any jobs yet or have confirmation that I will even be used, but if I can help out some how as a local resource I will try to help to the best of my ability....If your still thinking hospitalty suite, I think hotel rooms CLOSE to the convention are all ready at a premium, if they are still available at all it would be wise to move fast.

                Tom
                So St Paul MN

                From: westmiller@...

                Posted by: "W. Guy Finley" wgfinley@rlcil. org

                rukbat1@comcast. net
                michaelafranks@ hotmail.com
                graball@fontcraft. com
                jap1@peoplepc. com
                ... so let's build the list and get their feedback on
                what they can and will be able to do at the convention.

                I'm sure "National" is happy to help. At minimum, we
                can offer free RLC lapel pins to anyone attending. But,
                we need *bodies* (actually brains) that are willing to
                actually *do* other visibility projects at the convention.

                Bill

                ************ **Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
                favorites at AOL Food.
                (http://food. aol.com/dinner- tonight?NCID= aolfod0003000000 0001)

              • michael franks
                Message 7 of 17 , May 15, 2008

                  Actually, the Texas State Convention has given us quite a bit of success.  We raised our visibility, and started hosting an event one night at the convention that was WELL attending by droves.

                  I started the first one with the "concept" that it would work back in 2002 I believe it was at our state convention in Dallas.  I had a suite, and it hit me that we could use it to do a "reception".  IT WORKED!!!  the room was packed to the point we had to have an aditional time slot right after to fit in the overflow crowd.

                  Exposure, marketing and promotion works.

                  Of cousre that's a state convention and not a national convention. So a different focus.

                  Michael Franks

                  To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                  From: wgfinley@...
                  Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:03:07 -0500

                  I've been biting my tongue on this for a while folks, I didn't want to
                  rain on any parades. But into each life some rain must fall so let me
                  give it to you straight.

                  This is the GOP convention and not the LP convention. The LP
                  convention is full of booths with "information" the GOP convention has
                  booths for vendors who pay thousands for the honor of pushing their
                  wares. This is the big leagues folks. You don't show up with $50 and
                  the "World's Shortest Political Quiz" and set up shop, it doesn't work
                  that way.

                  To be honest, what outreach do you think would be done at the
                  convention? The GOP convention is all about firing up folks for the
                  election and that means generating a lot of MONEY for the party to go
                  out there and get the Dems. That's what this event is about. The
                  folks there will be dyed in the wool GOP faithful who are there to
                  (mostly) mindlessly cheer on the speakers and get geared up for
                  November. That's what the whole thing is about, that and, let's be
                  honest, getting blitzed out of your mind (for many folks anyway).

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 15, 2008
                    FINALLY got some more info today!!!

                    Yes, the ONLY place there will be booth/vendor space is at that City Fest thing at the Minneapolis Convention Center. I  was just told today that it is a 7 day thing, and they want someone manning their boths ALL 7 days.  (now if someone didn't show up one day, I'm sure there is nothing they could do anyway)
                    Cost is $2,500.

                    They are going to be promoting it to everyone and everywhere. (so they say?)
                    All National Delegates/alternates will be given FREE entry!!!

                    They will have a "GOP" section within the Civic Fest.   This is for locals too for the most part it seems to show their goods and wares?

                    I am trying to see about getting some advertising or work on other avenues with my bizz to get visiblity.

                    Another suggestion would be maybe if a booth was "shared" to split cost?

                    I personally do NOT want to be there for 7 days in a row!!!!  When the national convention is only 4.

                    To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                    From: westmiller@...
                    Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:43:09 -0400
                    Subject: [RLC-Action] Re: GOP Convention Booth

                    Posted by: "W. Guy Finley" wgfinley@rlcil. org
                    > I've been biting my tongue on this for a while folks ...

                    Ouch. You are absolutely right about focusing on very
                    local GOP activism ... retail politics. However, I think there
                    is a residual benefit to local activism when the RLC can
                    increase its *visibility* among party regulars at major GOP
                    events ... that improves our credibility and reach.
                    Assuming that your view of the national convention is
                    correct - I think it is - what can RLC members *do* at the
                    convention that will add to our visibility?

                    Obviously, the maximum visibility would be achieved
                    with a booth that is seen by all delegates. As best I can
                    tell, that's out of the question.
                    The minimum visibility is to simply encourage any RLC
                    members attending to wear an RLC lapel pin. If that's
                    only a handful of delegates/alternate s, and only gets the
                    attention of a handful of party regulars, that's something -
                    not nothing.

                    At this point, I think we should at least try to get all
                    members who plan to attend "connected" to this RLC
                    eGroup, to decide what other things might be done.
                    Let's start by making a list of those attending. At this
                    point, I see probable attendees:

                    rukbat1@comcast. net
                    michaelafranks@ hotmail.com
                    graball@fontcraft. com
                    jap1@peoplepc. com
                    ... so let's build the list and get their feedback on
                    what they can and will be able to do at the convention.

                    I'm sure "National" is happy to help. At minimum, we
                    can offer free RLC lapel pins to anyone attending. But,
                    we need *bodies* (actually brains) that are willing to
                    actually *do* other visibility projects at the convention.

                    Bill

                    ************ **Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
                    favorites at AOL Food.
                    (http://food. aol.com/dinner- tonight?NCID= aolfod0003000000 0001)