Re: GOP Convention Booth - National Board Telecon

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2008
      Posted by: "rlcmcallen" pankratz@...
      >... At a minimum I would expect National to have
      > contacted the convention ... and raised the issue
      > for the rest of us to rally behind.
          Bear in mind that "National" is twelve people, of
      whom only a handful have the time to work on the
      basic operational tasks. The Board discussed the
      Convention and gathered some basic information,
      but decided that the first priority was to ensure
      that some *body* would be present at the convention
      to make the basic arrangements. Our Minnesota
      chapter was unable to recruit any volunteers and
      none of the Directors were able to take on the task.

      > RLC National has teleconferences?

          There is a National Board teleconference every
      second Monday. The announcement is posted to
      the RLC-National eGroup, which includes all state
      officers, with an agenda. A summary of the Board
      actions are posted after the meeting. Your state
      Chairman, Coordinator, or Contact can provide
      that information to members at their discretion.
          As Jeff explains, it isn't practical to invite all
      members to participate. Most of the business
      is related to technicalities and operational ideas
      that probably wouldn't interest many members.

    • rukbat1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2008
        Excuse me, but the Minnesota Chapter never asked for volunteers, at least not that I can rember, I I tend to be pretty good at reading the postings......agian, if someone can get a booth there, I can at least staff it some of the time, I live 7 min from where the convention will be.

        Tom Willenbring....
        So St Paul  MN

        From: westmiller@...

        Posted by: "rlcmcallen" pankratz@rioplexwir eless.com

        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2008
          My fault for not sending out such a request. However, in my defense, I've been trying to get people simply to respond to building our caucus, all without effect. I didn't think I'd get anywhere asking them to do real work when they don't even show up virtually. Actually, I've asked some folks to do real work, but they didn't even bother to acknowledge my requests, let alone decline to help. Did you know the Internet is a vacuum? No one can hear you scream. Honestly, I'm a one-man show here, so scheduling an event would mean I'd be solo -- and bear all the costs alone. Ebenezer would probably step up to help with funding, but there are limits for him as well. We're not made of money.

          Ordina
          rily, when an organization has enough members to guarantee participation and a sustained ability to fund those activities, then the organization is viable. One or two active member does not constitute a viable organization. Our state RLC convention this Saturday, May 17, will determine whether our chapter keeps it's charter. If too few people show interest in sitting on the executive committee, I will not stick around. I had hoped that the Ron Paul campaign and the GOP National Convention would have helped us, but neither has done much for us.

          So, having sa
          id all the above, I hope you can see why I've not attempted to secure a booth at the National Convention. The National RLC board may only have 12 members, but we in Minnesota have only two. If National can't make the booth a priority, I'm sorry to say we're not able to do it, even if it were our only priority.

          Doug H

          From: westmiller@...
          Posted by: "rlcmcallen" pankratz@rioplexwir eless.com
          >... At a minimum I would expect National to have
          > contacted the convention ... and raised the issue
          > for the rest of us to rally behind.
              Bear in mind that "National" is twelve people, of
          whom only a handful have the time to work on the
          basic operational tasks. The Board discussed the
          Convention and gathered some basic information,
          but decided that the first priority was to ensure
          that some *body* would be present at the convention
          to make the basic arrangements. Our Minnesota
          chapter was unable to recruit any volunteers and
          none of the Directors were able to take on the task.

          > RLC National has teleconferences?

              There is a National Board teleconference every
          second Monday. The announcement is posted to
          the RLC-National eGroup, which includes all state
          officers, with an agenda. A summary of the Board
          actions are posted after the meeting. Your state
          Chairman, Coordinator, or Contact can provide
          that information to members at their discretion.
              As Jeff explains, it isn't practical to invite all
          members to participate. Most of the business
          is related to technicalities and operational ideas
          that probably wouldn't interest many members.

          --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---