Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

    Message 1 of 22 , May 12, 2008
      >> Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
      figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
      having a voice.

      Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
      well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
      and not rocking the boat.<<

      As you and the document you posted describe it they also make it sound
      like there's not much point in going to the national convention because
      all of the meaningful decisions will have been made at the state level.

      What's really scaring me is that I'm getting all these glossy color mailers
      from creepy old ladies who are running for slots on the RNC from Texas.
      If they're spending a few thousand on that, then attending the convention
      is likely to be expensive too.

      If we want to become delegates to the national convention are we
      supposed to be
      putting together campaign materials for distribution at our state
      conventions? Something like that might be necessary if we want to break
      the hold of the
      establishment.

      Dave
    • David Baumgardner
      Message 2 of 22 , May 12, 2008
        Dave N.

        Check your state requirements.  In Wisconsin, our delegates were chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus.  About 120 people showed up.  Only 2 RP supporters.  Eight people ran for delegate.  Three were chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home.  Unaware of the process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the various counties, I could've had a chance.  I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair, Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair.  You get the idea...  Those chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the county and state party.  Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a delegate won't work.  We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step aside".  We must join, work and build our base.  Once the base is there, we will get elected.  Grassroots to the Office.

        Dave B.

        To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
        From: graball@...
        Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:46:56 -0500
        Subject: Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

        Message 3 of 22 , May 12, 2008
          >>Check your state requirements. In Wisconsin, our delegates were
          chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus. About 120 people showed
          up. Only 2 RP supporters. Eight people ran for delegate. Three were
          chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home. Unaware of the
          process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the
          various counties, I could've had a chance. <<

          I'm up on the state process. RLCMcA and I are both in Texas, where
          national delegates are chosen at the state convention. I only recently
          learned that other states do it differently.
          >>I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair,
          Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair. You get the idea... Those
          chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the
          county and state party.<<

          I've been a delegate to the district convention before and I'm active in
          local GOP groups, but I'm not some sort of 'insider' unless my notoriety
          has spread based on some of my writing.

          >> Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a
          delegate won't work. We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step
          aside". We must join, work and build our base. Once the base is there,
          we will get elected. Grassroots to the Office.<<

          This may be what is going to cause the Ron Paul faction to lose interest
          in the process which has good and bad aspects to it. Hopefully some of
          them will stick around and become interested in the process of building
          a base with a liberty orientation.

          Dave
        • David Baumgardner
          Message 4 of 22 , May 12, 2008
            I agree that we need to establish a liberty oriented base.  I guess it is up to us-we stalwarts-to recruit train and educate libertarian-Republicans to the cause.  Lets take back our party and Nation.

            To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
            From: graball@...
            Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:22:17 -0500