Re: GOP Convention Booth

  • rlcmcallen
    Message 1 of 17 , May 12, 2008
      Bill,

      OK I think part of my answer to the question of a presence at the
      Republican National Convention lies in the uncertainty for many of us
      as to whether or not we will be selected as delegates or alternates.

      Our status as delegates will be determined at different times
      according to the selection process in each state. In Texas, I won't
      know for certain until after the State Convention in June, although I
      might have some idea earlier.

      Those who already know they are going have an advantage, opportunity
      and necessity to lead in spearheading this project, it would seem to
      me. Also, I would expect our national committee leaders to provide
      leadership, on the national level on a project such as this. At a
      minimum I would expect National to have contacted the convention,
      ascertained the cost and availability of space, and raised the issue
      for the rest of us to rally behind.

      John P.
      ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, westmiller@... wrote:

      > Don,
      > Great, but it's difficult for the National Board to give
      > you authorization when we don't even know whether there
      > are booths available, nor what funds might be "necessary".
      > Let's use RLC-Action for doing the basic research and
      > to formulate a proposal which the Board can consider.
      > I've posted an email contact for vendor services. You
      > can start there.
      > I'll post a note to RLC-National, asking that any of
      > our officers who know of RLC members who are delegates
      > or alternates attending the GOP convention should join
      > the RLC-Action planning.
      >
      > Bill
      > ====================================
      > In a message dated 5/12/2008 10:56:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      > don.wills@... writes:
      >
      > Bill,
      >

      > I will take charge of organizing the RLC booth at the Republican
      National

      Message 2 of 17 , May 14, 2008
        Posted by: "rukbat1@..." rukbat1@...
        > ... if someone can get a booth there, I can at least
        > staff it some of the time ...

            That's great, but what we need is someone who is able
        and willing to manage the project: get information, make
        a proposal, collect materials, recruit or schedule volunteers,
        and make it happen. I don't have the time to do that - and
        won't be able to attend - but:

            I have been communicating with a Texas RLC member
        who has been trying to get a commercial vendor permit
        for the convention. He's spent weeks just trying to find
        the right person to talk to about terms. No such luck.

            As best we can determine: the Minneapolis Chamber
        has been given the RNC franchise for the booking of all
        commercial vendors. None of them will be in the XCel
        center - they'll be in an adjacent building. They are
        also approving "certified" local vendors (restaurants,
        rental services, entertainment) in the area.

            The RNC has total control over all facilities at the
        main convention venue and has only approved those
        organizations that are "official auxiliaries" of the party:
        Republican Women, Young Republicans, etc. There
        will be no "special interest" exhibits, as far as we
        can tell. No dissent, or views contrary to the "unity"
        positions that will be dictated by the nominee ...
        to be cynical, that might mean that the Sierra Club
        can get a booth, but the RLC cannot.

      • michael franks
        Message 3 of 17 , May 14, 2008
          Yes, the Civic Fest will be an all week long thing in Mineapolis at the Mineapolis Convention Center.    The National Convention is in St. Paul at the Xcel Center.    I looked them both up and it is around 10 miles apart!!!   I don't know HOW delegates going back and forth to the actual convention, will somehow drive or get a taxi 10 miles to some exhibit hall?      Seems kind of "odd" to me?

          I have had a difficult time getting accurate information from both the local "host committee", as well as the party in charge of the event.

          The host committee folks,  http://www.msp2008.com   say there is NO other vendors or exhibit deal going on BUT THEM for the national convention.   Their deal is a weeklong thing that will cost $2500. They will tell you there is one guy who is the "master vendor" to sell "official" merchandise actually inside the Xcell Center.    A local ad-specialty guy.

          (apparantely this thing is more about keeping Minnesota happy it seems from what Im getting from it?)

          Then you speak to (if your able to) folks at, http://www.gopconvention2008.com/  and you cant find out for sure how to get a booth, or even if there are going to be any actually INSIDE the Xcell Center, where the National Convention will be?   Someone said there was, which contridicts the host committe people.

          SURELY there will be mechanism to get a both/vendor/exhibitor table at the Xcell center?
          If not..that will be bizzare to me to make people go 10 miles to another building to tour an exhibit hall to buy crap or get info on other crap.

          On the, http://www.gopconvention2008.com/ site they talk about being a listed vendor on a list, but that doesn't get someone a booth or say how to get one? (who, cares about being on a list?)

          I do remember, having be the Texas CD14 "Ron Paul" delegate in 2004 in NYC  that there was actually a large exhibit area with vendors and booths and such at the HOTEL we were at itself!!!
          and people set up buying/getting info on crap, etc.      I personally never really walked all around Madison Square Garden to see everything to remember the set up actually at the convention itself?

          All I do know right now, is getting an accurate picture or explanation of how this will work has been difficult.  Trying to get a booth for my bizz.

          Michael Franks
          www.TexasGOPstore.com

          To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
          From: westmiller@...
          Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:06:49 -0400
          Subject: [RLC-Action] Re: GOP Convention Booth

          Posted by: "rukbat1@comcast. net" rukbat1@comcast. net

          Message 4 of 17 , May 14, 2008
            >>As best we can determine: the Minneapolis Chamber
            has been given the RNC franchise for the booking of all
            commercial vendors. None of them will be in the XCel
            center - they'll be in an adjacent building. They are
            also approving "certified" local vendors (restaurants,
            rental services, entertainment) in the area.<<

            Based on my past experience as a convention vendor
            (admittedly not at political conventions), when they put
            the vendors in an adjacent building the vendors are
            basically wasting their time and money to be there.

            If that's the set-up we can probably have more impact
            with a hospitality suite, pins, hand-outs and other cheaper
            methods of self-promotion.

            Dave
          • W. Guy Finley
            Message 5 of 17 , May 14, 2008
              I've been biting my tongue on this for a while folks, I didn't want to
              rain on any parades. But into each life some rain must fall so let me
              give it to you straight.

              This is the GOP convention and not the LP convention. The LP
              convention is full of booths with "information" the GOP convention has
              booths for vendors who pay thousands for the honor of pushing their
              wares. This is the big leagues folks. You don't show up with $50 and
              the "World's Shortest Political Quiz" and set up shop, it doesn't work
              that way.

              To be honest, what outreach do you think would be done at the
              convention? The GOP convention is all about firing up folks for the
              election and that means generating a lot of MONEY for the party to go
              out there and get the Dems. That's what this event is about. The
              folks there will be dyed in the wool GOP faithful who are there to
              (mostly) mindlessly cheer on the speakers and get geared up for
              November. That's what the whole thing is about, that and, let's be
              honest, getting blitzed out of your mind (for many folks anyway).

              Folks, RLC is a grass roots effort and the work for outreach is done
              at the grass roots level. I just read somewhere that MN has two
              members? You need to be doing the work in your local GOP clubs. Work
              for the candidates, let people get to know you, fill them in on your
              ideals and once they know YOU a bit more THEN start filling people in
              on the RLC. Then people will know you are there for the PARTY and not
              your own pet issue.

              That is how we will grow the RLC, not at conventions or mass
              gatherings but working local GOP events, helping local candidates and
              working your way up from there.

              Rome wasn't built in a day. Brick by brick my citizens, brick by brick.

              W. Guy Finley
              Illinois Co-Cordinator
            • Sakshale eQuorian
              Message 6 of 17 , May 14, 2008
                (see trailing quote for context)

                I agree with you in concept, but don't see much indication that there is anything
                going on in the RLC at the grassroots level.  We asked about forming a local
                chapter and were told they weren't supported.  We asked about support for
                grassroots activities and were told state wide action was all that counted.

                We are trying to come up with a strategy, in our county, for forming a Republican
                organization around RLC principles.  And, while we talk we watch the Ron Paul
                movement fade into history as more and more people drop out.

                We are a lot of effort into getting involved with the local party, but haven't found a
                way to pull more of Ron Paul's people back into action. We haven't found a way to
                reach out and educate the other conservative Republicans and bring them into the
                movement.  They agree with us Ron Paul types on everything, except the war.
                We are trying, but it is mostly on our own strength.

                There must be tools out there that we can use, but no one seems to be
                discussing them or pointing to them out.

                We need a grassroots movement and we will create one from scratch if needed.

                It would be nice if the RLC was part of it... but, we will do it with or without the RLC.

                Message 7 of 17 , May 14, 2008
                  Well said. I believe the national Board reached a similar conclusion
                  several months ago.

                  The current discussion started only because some kibitzers started
                  advocating that we attend. One doesn't want to discourage volunteers or
                  input from the membership so, should some folks step forth and do the
                  research necessary to make a viable proposal for RLC participation--tabling
                  or otherwise, we would consider it. I suspect that they would find that
                  some form of RLC presence *short* of a paid booth would be in
                  order--probably just networking and, perhaps, an informal get-together of
                  RLCer and prospects. (Such a get-together could be a valuable stimulus to
                  organization of the local chapter.) In my state, delegate selection is
                  still underway. If I am selected, I would be happy to serve as a focal
                  point for such RLC participation.

                  You're absolutely right that working within the local parties and for local
                  campaigns is the primary way of building local RLC organizations. One
                  caveat, however... Tabling at state GOP, YR and similar conventions is a
                  very effective (and proven) way of augmenting such local organizing efforts.

                  Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                  Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                  "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 14, 2008

                    I’m the new coordinator for Nebraska (which has never had an RLC Charter before)—we should be chartered early this summer (as soon as I get around to getting all of the paperwork filled out).  A few thoughts that seem to me sort of appropriate given the conversation that’s been going on with respect to charter, groups, activities we should be engaging in, etc.

                    Jeff Palmer has a nice little “tried and true method for building a state RLC” letter which he sent me—I’ve used it as the basic framework for our efforts.

                    Bill Westmiller sent me a number of brochures and chartering information.  Aaron Biterman has provided encouragement and information, as well.

                    We started by simply finding Ron Paul supporters in our state—some new Republicans, some of us older Republicans.  We made the pitch that this was a way for us to stay connected, and perhaps, with time, have an impact on the party.  We’re in good shape for the chartering process, and hope to be in better shape soon as more members jump on as we get closer to our first “convention” in July.

                    What you’ve really got to have is 2 or 3 dedicated folks who will take the bull by the horns (or the elephant by the trunk), and just get the process started.  We have a couple of places (Lincoln and Omaha, especially), where there might be some call for local organizations, but we’re thinking that at this point, we’ll encourage those groups—rather than trying to be “chartered” to just be recognized elements of the state chartered group, and to use Meetup or some other social networking tool to manage any of their gatherings locally.  If they want to recommend—at some point—candidates to be endorsed at the local level, that would still be done by our state organization.  We’d need to get awfully big before it would make sense to have anything more than a very loose structure for local groups.

                    The important thing, I think, is that everyone needs to recognize that this is a volunteer driven organization.  There is no paid staff.  If you want to make things happen locally (or in your state), YOU need to do it.  I’ve found that the national folks have been very accommodating when I’ve asked questions, requested information, etc.  I usually get a response within a few hours—certainly within 12 (if I’ve sent an e-mail late at night).  Within a general framework, there’s a lot of room for creativity and individual initiative—just like there has been in the Paul campaign.  Don’t expect the “guys at the top” to fulfill your every need, but I suspect that there are plenty of people out there who are happy to consult with you on real questions that you might have.  We’ve found that to be the case.

                    We do not intend to be “just another rebel faction” here in Nebraska, though.  We have a number of our members who either are, or will soon be, County GOP Chairs, and some of them are going to make runs for the State GOP Central Committee this summer.  We intend to have significant numbers of our folks at the State GOP Convention, and we’ll be sporting our “The RLC is Here” buttons.  Think big, but start small.  Just start.

[...]

                    Checked by AVG.

                    Checked by AVG.

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 14, 2008
                      >I agree with you in concept, but don't see much indication that there is anything going on in the RLC at the grassroots level.  We asked about forming a local chapter and were told they weren't supported.  We asked about support for grassroots activities and were told state wide action was all that counted.

                      Told by whom??  Local RLC chapters are active in many parts of the country.  The Florida RLC, for example, has reportedly converted every Ron Paul Meetup in the state into an RLC group.  Here in North Carolina, we're doing the same (although with more than 30 Meetups in the state, organizing many of the smaller ones may be a bit optimistic).

                      >There must be tools out there that we can use, but no one seems to be discussing them or pointing to them out.

                      Let's discuss them.  That's what RLC-Action is for!

                      I have found organizing local RLC groups to be relatively easy, especially recently with the winding down of the Ron Paul movement:

                      -- Find a centralized location (e.g., sports bar) with a separate meeting room, schedule just an informal get-together, invite all members of the local Ron Paul Meetup group(s), pass out membership applications and some basic RLC literature, talk about the RLC, and repeat every one to two weeks.  Within a few weeks, you'll have a core group; schedule an election (of interim local chapter board members if you are in a chartered state--of interim state chapter board members if you are in an unchartered state), and then worry about the paperwork later.  (Model state bylaws are available at www.rlc.org.)

                      -- Start using a sig line similar to mine below for postings to Ron Paul and other appropriate eGroups.  This will get the RLC name out with minimal effort.  (I delete the "Formerly chaired by Ron Paul line for non-Ron Paul audiences.)

                      -- Organize World's Smallest Political Quiz-based tabling membership drives at state YR, GOP, and similar conventions (both to attract new members and to give your current members something to do).  Schedule a statewide RLC meeting in conjunction with a statewide GOP or YR convention--preferably towards the end so that new members attracted by the membership outreach table can participate.

                      -- Monitor message traffic from Ron Paul Meetups from around the state and identify relatively sane-sounding individuals who "get" the concept of working the GOP, gush over their great contributions, invite them to join you at the state-wide events, and encourage them to seed RLC organizations in their areas.  Make every effort to physically visit their group's meetings to foster a team spirit and inter-chapter competitiveness.  Set up Google groups in every area of the state with a substantive Ron Paul Meetup group to give new RLC groups a jump start.

                      -- Encourage all members to become engaged in their local GOP and GOP affiliates, and post all local GOP and related events on your Meetup site or website.  In some places where the local GOP(s) has/have not maintained such a consolidate list, the RLC can fill that void and attract appreciative traffic from members of the Party at-large.

                      -- Trumpet successes--whether of the organization or of individual members--to your state RLC Yahoo group to inspire others.

                      That's it off the top of my head.  Let's start a discussion about other approaches!

                      Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                      Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                      ”Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
                      (Formerly chaired by Ron Paul, the RLC is the natural vehicle for sustaining our movement beyond the campaign. Please Join!)

                       * * *
                      National RLC — http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RLC-Action ; www.rlc.org
                      Asheville RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/asheville-area-rlc
                      Cape Fear RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/cfrlc
                      Charlotte RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/charlotte-area-rlc
                      Triad-Area RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/triad-area-nc-rlc
                      Triangle-Area RLC — http://rlc.meetup.com/92/
                      * * *
                      Quotes of the Week: “The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of advancing limited government; you don’t just talk about it... What you do really makes a difference.” — Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
                      “I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian Republican. The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian Republicans to office.” — U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 14, 2008
                        On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Sakshale eQuorian wrote:
                        > We need a grassroots movement and we will create one from scratch if
                        > needed.
                        >
                        > It would be nice if the RLC was part of it... but, we will do it with or
                        > without the RLC.

                        If we can't have an officially blessed "chapter", there's nothing stopping us
                        from having an RLC Meetup! It would be even easier, as we don't have to worry
                        about bylaws and minutes and stuff.

                        Our state chairman is worried that local groups would be social groups. So
                        what?!?! If our chairman thinks that a political organization is not supposed
                        to be social, then that does a lot to explain why our state has such a
                        moribund RLC!

                        I'm busy campaigning for a local office, but after the June election I'll have
                        time to move on this. My suggestion would be to start a new RLC meetup,
                        rather than try to convert the existing RP meetup.

                        --
                        David Johnson
                      • sarah lovett
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 15, 2008
                          Dave which state are you referring too?  I know we have started a RLC in North Florida and our first meeting had over 40 people.  We also had snacks and socializing..adult beverages and all.  We are planning all sorts of fun events as well as working on the larger plan of filling precinct committee man and women positions.  If you want to grow the GOP base then the bottom of the pyramid must be strong with liked minded Republicans.

                          As far as rules and bylaws...you actually have those to protect you from the leadership and vice versa.  You also use a relaxed form of parliamentary procedure etc to make sure you can accomplish tasks and that all persons are heard at the meeting.  Not to mention when you are participating in your local REC meetings or caucuses you will be able to ensure things are indeed on the up and up and maybe even pass changes to the REC bylaws and eventually elect some state committee people in that can influence the platform etc etc. We actually have been blessed with a parliamentarian that is willing to guide us and help us become more familiar with the how's and why's of using these rules.  We have some people teaching constitution classes, we are planning documentary showings as both fund raisers and educational outlets..the list goes on.  But right now we are specifically focused on growing the bottom of the pyramid. We also have several lunches and chitter chatter groups meeting and after the REC meeting there are a group of us that definitely take the politics to the pub...thats where the real politics are!!! There is a lot of work to be done and everyone must realize it will not happen over night.

                          Successful endeavors are a product of planning and forethought as well as using rules to make sure the people do indeed have a voice.  So anyone that is out there that just doesn't know where to start the very first thing without any formal organization would be to take your activist and fill those precinct person positions.  You can do this even if they will not let you into your local REC for whatever reason. Just ask your Supervisor of Elections for a form.  The GOP cannot afford to lose any warm bodies, regardless of your feelings on the presumed nominee, you need to make sure your county has more like minded individuals voting and vying for leadership seats, especially at the lowest levels. This is the epitome of getting involved...you must multiply yourself as many times as you can NOW or it might be 8 years before we see anything happen instead of 4.

                          And just an observation, it always great to be in like minded company and feel all warm and cozy, but you must be talking to those people that have not seen the light of liberty.  Its much harder to put yourself out there when we think in this perspective.  When you go to your REC meeting do you sit with your friends or do you sit with your potential friends?  Hope this helps.  Sarah

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 15, 2008
                            Posted by: "W. Guy Finley" wgfinley@...
                            > I've been biting my tongue on this for a while folks ...

                            Ouch. You are absolutely right about focusing on very
                            local GOP activism ... retail politics. However, I think there
                            is a residual benefit to local activism when the RLC can
                            increase its *visibility* among party regulars at major GOP
                            events ... that improves our credibility and reach.
                            Assuming that your view of the national convention is
                            correct - I think it is - what can RLC members *do* at the
                            convention that will add to our visibility?

                            Obviously, the maximum visibility would be achieved
                            with a booth that is seen by all delegates. As best I can
                            tell, that's out of the question.
                            The minimum visibility is to simply encourage any RLC
                            members attending to wear an RLC lapel pin. If that's
                            only a handful of delegates/alternates, and only gets the
                            attention of a handful of party regulars, that's something -
                            not nothing.

                            At this point, I think we should at least try to get all
                            members who plan to attend "connected" to this RLC
                            eGroup, to decide what other things might be done.
                            Let's start by making a list of those attending. At this
                            point, I see probable attendees:

                            rukbat1@...
                            michaelafranks@...
                            graball@...
                            jap1@...
                            ... so let's build the list and get their feedback on
                            what they can and will be able to do at the convention.

                            I'm sure "National" is happy to help. At minimum, we
                            can offer free RLC lapel pins to anyone attending. But,
                            we need *bodies* (actually brains) that are willing to
                            actually *do* other visibility projects at the convention.

                            favorites at AOL Food.
                          • rukbat1@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 15, 2008
                              THis is an FYI, I am not a Delage or Alt to National, just State, but I live within 10 min of the convention and would be willing to help with what I can do.  I've also volunteered to work the convention but have not been assigned any jobs yet or have confirmation that I will even be used, but if I can help out some how as a local resource I will try to help to the best of my ability....If your still thinking hospitalty suite, I think hotel rooms CLOSE to the convention are all ready at a premium, if they are still available at all it would be wise to move fast.

                              Tom
                              So St Paul MN

                              From: westmiller@...

                              Posted by: "W. Guy Finley" wgfinley@rlcil. org

                              rukbat1@comcast. net
                              michaelafranks@ hotmail.com
                              graball@fontcraft. com
                              jap1@peoplepc. com
                              ... so let's build the list and get their feedback on
                              what they can and will be able to do at the convention.

                              I'm sure "National" is happy to help. At minimum, we
                              can offer free RLC lapel pins to anyone attending. But,
                              we need *bodies* (actually brains) that are willing to
                              actually *do* other visibility projects at the convention.

                              Bill

                              ************ **Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
                              favorites at AOL Food.
                              (http://food. aol.com/dinner- tonight?NCID= aolfod0003000000 0001)

                            • michael franks
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 15, 2008

                                Actually, the Texas State Convention has given us quite a bit of success.  We raised our visibility, and started hosting an event one night at the convention that was WELL attending by droves.

                                I started the first one with the "concept" that it would work back in 2002 I believe it was at our state convention in Dallas.  I had a suite, and it hit me that we could use it to do a "reception".  IT WORKED!!!  the room was packed to the point we had to have an aditional time slot right after to fit in the overflow crowd.

                                Exposure, marketing and promotion works.

                                Of cousre that's a state convention and not a national convention. So a different focus.

                                Michael Franks

                                To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 15, 2008
                                  FINALLY got some more info today!!!

                                  Yes, the ONLY place there will be booth/vendor space is at that City Fest thing at the Minneapolis Convention Center. I  was just told today that it is a 7 day thing, and they want someone manning their boths ALL 7 days.  (now if someone didn't show up one day, I'm sure there is nothing they could do anyway)
                                  Cost is $2,500.

                                  They are going to be promoting it to everyone and everywhere. (so they say?)
                                  All National Delegates/alternates will be given FREE entry!!!

                                  They will have a "GOP" section within the Civic Fest.   This is for locals too for the most part it seems to show their goods and wares?

                                  I am trying to see about getting some advertising or work on other avenues with my bizz to get visiblity.

                                  Another suggestion would be maybe if a booth was "shared" to split cost?

                                  I personally do NOT want to be there for 7 days in a row!!!!  When the national convention is only 4.

                                  To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: westmiller@...
                                  Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:43:09 -0400