Re: Republican National Convention

  • rlcmcallen
    Message 1 of 22 , May 12, 2008
      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

      >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
      Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

      RLC National has teleconferences?
      How are they announced?

      After being a delegate to the RPT Convention in Houston and if I
      become a delegate to National in St. Paul, traveling across country
      yet a third time in one summer to attend the RLC National will be a
      stretch.
      Message 2 of 22 , May 12, 2008
        >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences?

        I assume you mean RLC Alternate Board members? Yes, of course they are--as
        are the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact of every state RLC organization. To
        keep the size of the teleconferences manageable, we once established a rule
        of thumb of allowing each state *two* designated teleconference participants
        (including the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact), but even that guidance is not
        enforced. Greater participation in the teleconferences by each state is
        strongly encouraged.

        Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
        Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
        "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
        * * *
        Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
        advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
        really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman

        >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
      • David Baumgardner
        Message 3 of 22 , May 12, 2008
          It is currently 5:20 pm Central.  When does the telecon start?  How do I call in?

          Dave B.
          Wisconsin Coordinator

          To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
          From: jap1@...
          Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:04 -0400
          Subject: RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

          Jeff Palmer - jap1@peoplepc. com

          Message 4 of 22 , May 12, 2008
            >> Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
            figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
            having a voice.

            Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
            well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
            and not rocking the boat.<<

            As you and the document you posted describe it they also make it sound
            like there's not much point in going to the national convention because
            all of the meaningful decisions will have been made at the state level.

            What's really scaring me is that I'm getting all these glossy color mailers
            from creepy old ladies who are running for slots on the RNC from Texas.
            If they're spending a few thousand on that, then attending the convention
            is likely to be expensive too.

            If we want to become delegates to the national convention are we
            supposed to be
            putting together campaign materials for distribution at our state
            conventions? Something like that might be necessary if we want to break
            the hold of the
            establishment.

            Dave
          • David Baumgardner
            Message 5 of 22 , May 12, 2008
              Dave N.

              Check your state requirements.  In Wisconsin, our delegates were chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus.  About 120 people showed up.  Only 2 RP supporters.  Eight people ran for delegate.  Three were chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home.  Unaware of the process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the various counties, I could've had a chance.  I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair, Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair.  You get the idea...  Those chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the county and state party.  Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a delegate won't work.  We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step aside".  We must join, work and build our base.  Once the base is there, we will get elected.  Grassroots to the Office.

              Dave B.

              To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
              From: graball@...
              Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:46:56 -0500

              Message 6 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                >>Check your state requirements. In Wisconsin, our delegates were
                chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus. About 120 people showed
                up. Only 2 RP supporters. Eight people ran for delegate. Three were
                chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home. Unaware of the
                process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the
                various counties, I could've had a chance. <<

                I'm up on the state process. RLCMcA and I are both in Texas, where
                national delegates are chosen at the state convention. I only recently
                learned that other states do it differently.
                >>I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair,
                Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair. You get the idea... Those
                chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the
                county and state party.<<

                I've been a delegate to the district convention before and I'm active in
                local GOP groups, but I'm not some sort of 'insider' unless my notoriety
                has spread based on some of my writing.

                >> Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a
                delegate won't work. We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step
                aside". We must join, work and build our base. Once the base is there,
                we will get elected. Grassroots to the Office.<<

                This may be what is going to cause the Ron Paul faction to lose interest
                in the process which has good and bad aspects to it. Hopefully some of
                them will stick around and become interested in the process of building
                a base with a liberty orientation.

                Dave
              • David Baumgardner
                Message 7 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                  I agree that we need to establish a liberty oriented base.  I guess it is up to us-we stalwarts-to recruit train and educate libertarian-Republicans to the cause.  Lets take back our party and Nation.

                  To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                  From: graball@...
                  Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:22:17 -0500