Re: Republican National Convention

  • rlcmcallen
    Message 1 of 22 , May 12, 2008
      Devid,

      Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
      figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
      having a voice. I was alluding to this article:
      http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/04/18/1561/email_tells_delegates_to_applaud_--_and_stay_out_of_politics_at_rnc_convention

      Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
      well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
      and not rocking the boat.

      Here is the letter referenced therein:

      Here's the text of the email sent by Nelson:

      Hello:

      I also wanted to mention that you must chose to either run for a
      delegate position or an alternate position. You cannot run for both.
      Please fill out the following form accordingly:

      National Delegate Self-Nomination Form

      You may place yourself in nomination to be a Delegate or Alternate
      to the National Republican Convention. Please be aware of the
      following expectations of your service in this capacity.

      1. You will be expected to attend. It is not sufficient to allow
      the alternate to take your place.

      2. There are substantial costs.

      a. The registration fee alone is generally $300 or more, and
      "guests," if you bring your spouse, cost the same.

      b. For security purposes, you will be required to stay in the
      convention hotel, at a cost of $2-300 per night (5 nights).

      c. You will be expected to contribute significantly to the
      national party and campaign, $1000 is almost the minimum.

      3. You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party
      by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc.

      ********You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a
      State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably
      limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have
      determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided
      and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited.
      After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this
      reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a "reward"
      for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a
      "representative" to a deliberative body or a "learning opportunity"
      for newcomers. *******

      If you accept and believe you can meet these qualifications,
      please answer all of the following questions, Yes or No:

      1. Do you pledge to attend the National Convention, health
      permitting?

      2. Do you have the financial means to do so?

      3. Do you pledge to support the Republican Presidential nominee
      after the convention?

      4. Do you pledge to work for the Presidential candidate AND for
      other Republican candidates during this campaign season?

      Please sign, date, and print your name below. At some point in
      the Agenda, you will be expected to deliver a short (roughly 1 minute)
      speech regarding your candidacy, upon which the delegates will base
      their votes.

      ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

      > >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to
      go.<<

      > Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
      > around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
      > attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
      > class.
      > The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
      > more per plate.

    • rlcmcallen
      Message 2 of 22 , May 12, 2008
        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

        >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
        Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

        RLC National has teleconferences?
        How are they announced?

        After being a delegate to the RPT Convention in Houston and if I
        become a delegate to National in St. Paul, traveling across country
        yet a third time in one summer to attend the RLC National will be a
        stretch.
        Message 3 of 22 , May 12, 2008
          >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences?

          I assume you mean RLC Alternate Board members? Yes, of course they are--as
          are the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact of every state RLC organization. To
          keep the size of the teleconferences manageable, we once established a rule
          of thumb of allowing each state *two* designated teleconference participants
          (including the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact), but even that guidance is not
          enforced. Greater participation in the teleconferences by each state is
          strongly encouraged.

          Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
          Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
          "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
          * * *
          Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
          advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
          really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman

          >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
        • David Baumgardner
          Message 4 of 22 , May 12, 2008
            It is currently 5:20 pm Central.  When does the telecon start?  How do I call in?

            Dave B.
            Wisconsin Coordinator

            To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
            From: jap1@...
            Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:04 -0400
            Subject: RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

            Jeff Palmer - jap1@peoplepc. com

            Message 5 of 22 , May 12, 2008
              >> Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
              figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
              having a voice.

              Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
              well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
              and not rocking the boat.<<

              As you and the document you posted describe it they also make it sound
              like there's not much point in going to the national convention because
              all of the meaningful decisions will have been made at the state level.

              What's really scaring me is that I'm getting all these glossy color mailers
              from creepy old ladies who are running for slots on the RNC from Texas.
              If they're spending a few thousand on that, then attending the convention
              is likely to be expensive too.

              If we want to become delegates to the national convention are we
              supposed to be
              putting together campaign materials for distribution at our state
              conventions? Something like that might be necessary if we want to break
              the hold of the
              establishment.

              Dave
            • David Baumgardner
              Message 6 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                Dave N.

                Check your state requirements.  In Wisconsin, our delegates were chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus.  About 120 people showed up.  Only 2 RP supporters.  Eight people ran for delegate.  Three were chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home.  Unaware of the process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the various counties, I could've had a chance.  I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair, Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair.  You get the idea...  Those chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the county and state party.  Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a delegate won't work.  We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step aside".  We must join, work and build our base.  Once the base is there, we will get elected.  Grassroots to the Office.

                Dave B.

                To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                From: graball@...
                Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:46:56 -0500

                Message 7 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                  >>Check your state requirements. In Wisconsin, our delegates were
                  chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus. About 120 people showed
                  up. Only 2 RP supporters. Eight people ran for delegate. Three were
                  chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home. Unaware of the
                  process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the
                  various counties, I could've had a chance. <<

                  I'm up on the state process. RLCMcA and I are both in Texas, where
                  national delegates are chosen at the state convention. I only recently
                  learned that other states do it differently.
                  >>I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair,
                  Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair. You get the idea... Those
                  chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the
                  county and state party.<<

                  I've been a delegate to the district convention before and I'm active in
                  local GOP groups, but I'm not some sort of 'insider' unless my notoriety
                  has spread based on some of my writing.

                  >> Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a
                  delegate won't work. We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step
                  aside". We must join, work and build our base. Once the base is there,
                  we will get elected. Grassroots to the Office.<<

                  This may be what is going to cause the Ron Paul faction to lose interest
                  in the process which has good and bad aspects to it. Hopefully some of
                  them will stick around and become interested in the process of building
                  a base with a liberty orientation.

                  Dave
                • David Baumgardner
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                    I agree that we need to establish a liberty oriented base.  I guess it is up to us-we stalwarts-to recruit train and educate libertarian-Republicans to the cause.  Lets take back our party and Nation.

                    To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                    From: graball@...
                    Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:22:17 -0500