Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

    Message 1 of 22 , May 10, 2008
      >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.<<

      Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
      around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
      attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
      class.
      The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
      more per plate.

      >>I don't know how much a table itself would cost, but it seems to me
      that it can't be more than the traffic will bear. Our Texas RLC is
      paying $1000 for a table at the Texas convention. Since some of the
      booths are selling jewelry, hats, scarves, t-shirts and such it seems
      to me that the market won't support a much higher price for National.
      After all, the National convention is of the same order of magnitude
      as the Texas State convention.<<

      It's of a much higher level of prestige, however, and that may factor in
      when it comes to pricing the tables/booths. There may also be a lot
      more demand because the market there is perceived as being more eager
      to spend money on memorabilia.

      >>If even a few RLC members are going to be delegates, and attend as
      couples, I doubt that very many couples will have both husband and
      wife as national delegates. There should be some available to staff
      the booth. Our booth in Texas will require 7 volunteers to keep it
      open during strategic hours. Even if it were necessary to pay 3 or 4
      people to round out the staffing, it couldn't come to thousands of
      dollars, could it?<<

      It's also possible to work a booth and be a delegate at the same time.
      I'll volunteer to help out at the booth here in Texas if you need more
      people.

      >>Has anyone even inquired? Have we verified that all spaces are taken?
      Are there ten state chapters who could pitch in a couple of hundred
      each? What happened to the idea of there being strength in numbers?
      Has anyone even asked?<<

      We could also look into going in on a booth with another group if we
      have any contacts with reasonable ones.
      >>There I go being insensitive again. I'm on the RLC national committee
      as being alternate or something, but don't remember ever being
      contacted about any national business.<<

      Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
      Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

      >>I've been thinking of campaigning for a delegate slot. At my age, and
      with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance.<<

      I'm an alternate right now, but I hope to end up a delegate once things
      are sorted out in Houston. If that happens I'll campaign to be a delegate
      to national as well.

      >> I've just about
      decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
      level of interest among libertarian Republicans.<<

      Are the Ron Paul folks losing interest in following through with the
      whole process? If they come there ought to be a good reason for real
      libertarian republicans to be there to bridge the gap and try to build
      some unity with the rest of the party.

      Dave
    • Toby Nixon
      Message 2 of 22 , May 10, 2008
        Wow. Booths at the Washington state convention are only $100 for
        party-affiliated groups, $200 for other non-profit orgs, and $300 for
        vendors. Either the WSRP is leaving money on the table or you guys are
        getting ripped off! :-)

        -- Toby

        It is my understanding that the $3000 to $5000 cost being thrown
        around for attending the national convention includes maximum airfare
        for two, plus plush hotel rooms for several days, plus all the dinners
        and fund raisers, etc. I think the estimate is high for two reasons:

        1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.

        2) To encourage the idea that the convention is for the wealthy, to be
        thought of as an honor for past contributions and a fund-raising
        occasion, and not really a representative congress of Republicans for
        the purpose of making real decisions.

[...]

        with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance. I've just about
        decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
        level of interest among libertarian Republicans.

        John P.

        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Palmer" <jap1@...> wrote:

        > An RLC presence at the national GOP convention *has* been discussed.
        There
        > is no doubt that it would be beneficial and something the RLC would
        like to
        > do. The issue is one of costs and priorities. I've seen estimates
        for a
        > single person attending the convention ranging from $3000 to $5000.
        Thus,
        > the cost for the several people needed to staff an RLC booth--not to
        mention
        > the cost of the booth itself--would be considerable. Without the cost
        > savings that could be achieved with the support from the local RLC
        affiliate
        > (for reasons addressed by Doug), the costs are prohibitive. And
        even so, it
        > would be questionable that the costs would be the best use of our
        resources.
        > Consider the relative merits of one table at a GOP national convention
        > for--say-- $5000 versus tables at *50* state Young Republican
        Conventions
        > for about $100 a piece. The choice seems clear.
        >
        > Nevertheless, I commend your enthusiasm. A decision on whether to
        > participate in the national convention has only been deferred. If some
        > local volunteers can be found as you suggest and the costs seem
        reasonable,
        > I'm certain we could pull something together and get one or more of our
        > national RLCers there to assist.
        >
        > Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
        > Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
        > "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
        > * * *
        > Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
        > advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What
        you do
        > really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
        > "I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian
        Republican.
        > The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian
        Republicans
        > to office." - U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

        Would it be
        > worth the trouble? Could it be done on a county-by-county basis,
        starting
        > with those counties that had the best Ron Paul turnout? As the
        organization
        > grew, additional counties could be mailed to, using the resources of the
        > growing RLC.
        >
        > We need to be aggressive, both in MN and here in Texas and
        everywhere else.
        > It seems to me, though, than MN is much more fertile ground and more
        doable
        > than Texas since it is (1) three times as supportive of Ron Paul
        and (2)
        > much smaller overall.
        >
        > Maybe even all of us could pitch in to help build the RLC in one
        state, and
        > then attack another. We as the RLC have yet to catch the fervor of
        the Ron
        > Paul revolutionaries.
        >
        > God bless, and I'm sorry to hear of your ill health, Doug. I don't
        mean to
        > be insensitive. It just seems a shame that with all the potential
        out there
        > we can't seem to get people excited.
        >
        > This is the RLC ACTION board, right?
        >
        > John P.
        >
        > -- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, DGHarrison <DGHarrison@> wrote:
        > >
        > > /Pardon my ignorance, but do we have an active Minnesota group?
        > > They'd be the guys to have on the ground with a booth. -- Dave/
        > >
        > > I'd like to answer with a hearty yes, but it seems at the moment I am
        > > the only active member. Ebenezer has been contributing money but
        is not
        > > able to attend to the business of the caucus due to other
        commitments.
        > > I've been working hard to get people to help with a number of things,
        > > but I can't even get them to RSVP to our May 17 RLCMN convention. I'm
        > > hoping to have enough people show up to elect a whole new executive
        > > committee and will put the matter before them. No telling if there
        will
        > > be enough people to do what needs to be done.
        > >
        > > Not only am I sick of being a one man show, I am actually really sick.
        > > Just spent two weeks in the hospital. I need people to step up and
        lead,
        > > but no one seems interested. If the convention fails, then I'll be
        > > walking away. This is m last shot at passing the torch.
        > >
        > > Doug Harrison
        > > RLCMN, Treasurer

      • rlcmcallen
        Message 3 of 22 , May 12, 2008
          Devid,

          Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
          figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
          having a voice. I was alluding to this article:
          http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/04/18/1561/email_tells_delegates_to_applaud_--_and_stay_out_of_politics_at_rnc_convention

          Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
          well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
          and not rocking the boat.

          Here is the letter referenced therein:

          Here's the text of the email sent by Nelson:

          Hello:

          I also wanted to mention that you must chose to either run for a
          delegate position or an alternate position. You cannot run for both.
          Please fill out the following form accordingly:

          National Delegate Self-Nomination Form

          You may place yourself in nomination to be a Delegate or Alternate
          to the National Republican Convention. Please be aware of the
          following expectations of your service in this capacity.

          1. You will be expected to attend. It is not sufficient to allow
          the alternate to take your place.

          2. There are substantial costs.

          a. The registration fee alone is generally $300 or more, and
          "guests," if you bring your spouse, cost the same.

          b. For security purposes, you will be required to stay in the
          convention hotel, at a cost of $2-300 per night (5 nights).

          c. You will be expected to contribute significantly to the
          national party and campaign, $1000 is almost the minimum.

          3. You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party
          by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc.

          ********You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a
          State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably
          limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have
          determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided
          and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited.
          After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this
          reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a "reward"
          for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a
          "representative" to a deliberative body or a "learning opportunity"
          for newcomers. *******

          If you accept and believe you can meet these qualifications,
          please answer all of the following questions, Yes or No:

          1. Do you pledge to attend the National Convention, health
          permitting?

          2. Do you have the financial means to do so?

          3. Do you pledge to support the Republican Presidential nominee
          after the convention?

          4. Do you pledge to work for the Presidential candidate AND for
          other Republican candidates during this campaign season?

          Please sign, date, and print your name below. At some point in
          the Agenda, you will be expected to deliver a short (roughly 1 minute)
          speech regarding your candidacy, upon which the delegates will base
          their votes.

          ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

          --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

          > >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to
          go.<<

          > Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
          > around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
          > attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
          > class.
          > The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
          > more per plate.

        • rlcmcallen
          Message 4 of 22 , May 12, 2008
            --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

            >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
            Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

            RLC National has teleconferences?
            How are they announced?

            After being a delegate to the RPT Convention in Houston and if I
            become a delegate to National in St. Paul, traveling across country
            yet a third time in one summer to attend the RLC National will be a
            stretch.
            Message 5 of 22 , May 12, 2008
              >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences?

              I assume you mean RLC Alternate Board members? Yes, of course they are--as
              are the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact of every state RLC organization. To
              keep the size of the teleconferences manageable, we once established a rule
              of thumb of allowing each state *two* designated teleconference participants
              (including the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact), but even that guidance is not
              enforced. Greater participation in the teleconferences by each state is
              strongly encouraged.

              Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
              Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
              "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
              * * *
              Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
              advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
              really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman

              >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
            • David Baumgardner
              Message 6 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                It is currently 5:20 pm Central.  When does the telecon start?  How do I call in?

                Dave B.
                Wisconsin Coordinator

                To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                From: jap1@...
                Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:04 -0400
                Subject: RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

                Jeff Palmer - jap1@peoplepc. com

                Message 7 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                  >> Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
                  figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
                  having a voice.

                  Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
                  well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
                  and not rocking the boat.<<

                  As you and the document you posted describe it they also make it sound
                  like there's not much point in going to the national convention because
                  all of the meaningful decisions will have been made at the state level.

                  What's really scaring me is that I'm getting all these glossy color mailers
                  from creepy old ladies who are running for slots on the RNC from Texas.
                  If they're spending a few thousand on that, then attending the convention
                  is likely to be expensive too.

                  If we want to become delegates to the national convention are we
                  supposed to be
                  putting together campaign materials for distribution at our state
                  conventions? Something like that might be necessary if we want to break
                  the hold of the
                  establishment.

                  Dave
                • David Baumgardner
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                    Dave N.

                    Check your state requirements.  In Wisconsin, our delegates were chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus.  About 120 people showed up.  Only 2 RP supporters.  Eight people ran for delegate.  Three were chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home.  Unaware of the process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the various counties, I could've had a chance.  I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair, Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair.  You get the idea...  Those chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the county and state party.  Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a delegate won't work.  We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step aside".  We must join, work and build our base.  Once the base is there, we will get elected.  Grassroots to the Office.

                    Dave B.

                    To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                    From: graball@...
                    Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:46:56 -0500

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                      >>Check your state requirements. In Wisconsin, our delegates were
                      chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus. About 120 people showed
                      up. Only 2 RP supporters. Eight people ran for delegate. Three were
                      chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home. Unaware of the
                      process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the
                      various counties, I could've had a chance. <<

                      I'm up on the state process. RLCMcA and I are both in Texas, where
                      national delegates are chosen at the state convention. I only recently
                      learned that other states do it differently.
                      >>I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair,
                      Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair. You get the idea... Those
                      chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the
                      county and state party.<<

                      I've been a delegate to the district convention before and I'm active in
                      local GOP groups, but I'm not some sort of 'insider' unless my notoriety
                      has spread based on some of my writing.

                      >> Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a
                      delegate won't work. We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step
                      aside". We must join, work and build our base. Once the base is there,
                      we will get elected. Grassroots to the Office.<<

                      This may be what is going to cause the Ron Paul faction to lose interest
                      in the process which has good and bad aspects to it. Hopefully some of
                      them will stick around and become interested in the process of building
                      a base with a liberty orientation.

                      Dave
                    • David Baumgardner
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                        I agree that we need to establish a liberty oriented base.  I guess it is up to us-we stalwarts-to recruit train and educate libertarian-Republicans to the cause.  Lets take back our party and Nation.

                        To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                        From: graball@...
                        Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:22:17 -0500