RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

    Message 1 of 22 , May 10, 2008
      Message
      > FWIW, we (the Wyoming RLC) will have a booth in two weeks at the Wyoming Republican State Convention.  How many other state RLC chapters are doing the same?

      The North Carolina chapter will in June.  We also recently did the state YR conference.

      Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
      Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
      ”Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
       * * *
      National RLC — http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RLC-Action
      Asheville RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/asheville-area-rlc
      Cape Fear RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/cfrlc
      Charlotte RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/charlotte-area-rlc
      Triad-Area RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/triad-area-nc-rlc
      Triangle-Area RLC — http://rlc.meetup.com/92/
      * * *
      Quotes of the Week: “The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of advancing limited government; you don’t just talk about it... What you do really makes a difference.” — Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
      “I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian Republican. The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian Republicans to office.” — U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

      Message 2 of 22 , May 10, 2008
        >>A booth at the Republican National Convention is something that
        should be pushed by the national board of the RLC, not the state
        chapter. Bill? Aaron? What's happening at the national level with
        regard to the Republican National Convention? <<

        My only point in bringing this up is that it will be a lot easier to
        staff and run a booth or run any other kind of activity or promotion if
        we can draw on local people. If not from MN because of their problems,
        then from neighboring states.

        >>And are any RLC members delegates to the Republican National
        Convention?<<

        It's a bit too soon to know for most states.

        Dave
      • rlcmcallen
        Message 3 of 22 , May 10, 2008
          It is my understanding that the $3000 to $5000 cost being thrown
          around for attending the national convention includes maximum airfare
          for two, plus plush hotel rooms for several days, plus all the dinners
          and fund raisers, etc. I think the estimate is high for two reasons:

          1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.

          2) To encourage the idea that the convention is for the wealthy, to be
          thought of as an honor for past contributions and a fund-raising
          occasion, and not really a representative congress of Republicans for
          the purpose of making real decisions.

          I don't know how much a table itself would cost, but it seems to me
          that it can't be more than the traffic will bear. Our Texas RLC is
          paying $1000 for a table at the Texas convention. Since some of the
          booths are selling jewelry, hats, scarves, t-shirts and such it seems
          to me that the market won't support a much higher price for National.
          After all, the National convention is of the same order of magnitude
          as the Texas State convention.

          If even a few RLC members are going to be delegates, and attend as
          couples, I doubt that very many couples will have both husband and
          wife as national delegates. There should be some available to staff
          the booth. Our booth in Texas will require 7 volunteers to keep it
          open during strategic hours. Even if it were necessary to pay 3 or 4
          people to round out the staffing, it couldn't come to thousands of
          dollars, could it?

          Has anyone even inquired? Have we verified that all spaces are taken?
          Are there ten state chapters who could pitch in a couple of hundred
          each? What happened to the idea of there being strength in numbers?
          Has anyone even asked?

          There I go being insensitive again. I'm on the RLC national committee
          as being alternate or something, but don't remember ever being
          contacted about any national business.

          I've been thinking of campaigning for a delegate slot. At my age, and
          with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance. I've just about
          decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
          level of interest among libertarian Republicans.

          John P.

          --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Palmer" <jap1@...> wrote:

          > An RLC presence at the national GOP convention *has* been discussed.
          There
          > is no doubt that it would be beneficial and something the RLC would
          like to
          > do. The issue is one of costs and priorities. I've seen estimates
          for a
          > single person attending the convention ranging from $3000 to $5000.
          Thus,
          > the cost for the several people needed to staff an RLC booth--not to
          mention
          > the cost of the booth itself--would be considerable. Without the cost
          > savings that could be achieved with the support from the local RLC
          affiliate
          > (for reasons addressed by Doug), the costs are prohibitive. And
          even so, it
          > would be questionable that the costs would be the best use of our
          resources.
          > Consider the relative merits of one table at a GOP national convention
          > for--say-- $5000 versus tables at *50* state Young Republican
          Conventions
          > for about $100 a piece. The choice seems clear.
          >
          > Nevertheless, I commend your enthusiasm. A decision on whether to
          > participate in the national convention has only been deferred. If some
          > local volunteers can be found as you suggest and the costs seem
          reasonable,
          > I'm certain we could pull something together and get one or more of our
          > national RLCers there to assist.
          >
          > Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
          > Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
          > "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
          > * * *
          > Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
          > advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What
          you do
          > really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
          > "I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian
          Republican.
          > The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian
          Republicans
          > to office." - U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

          Would it be

          Message 4 of 22 , May 10, 2008
            >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.<<

            Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
            around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
            attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
            class.
            The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
            more per plate.

            >>I don't know how much a table itself would cost, but it seems to me
            that it can't be more than the traffic will bear. Our Texas RLC is
            paying $1000 for a table at the Texas convention. Since some of the
            booths are selling jewelry, hats, scarves, t-shirts and such it seems
            to me that the market won't support a much higher price for National.
            After all, the National convention is of the same order of magnitude
            as the Texas State convention.<<

            It's of a much higher level of prestige, however, and that may factor in
            when it comes to pricing the tables/booths. There may also be a lot
            more demand because the market there is perceived as being more eager
            to spend money on memorabilia.

            >>If even a few RLC members are going to be delegates, and attend as
            couples, I doubt that very many couples will have both husband and
            wife as national delegates. There should be some available to staff
            the booth. Our booth in Texas will require 7 volunteers to keep it
            open during strategic hours. Even if it were necessary to pay 3 or 4
            people to round out the staffing, it couldn't come to thousands of
            dollars, could it?<<

            It's also possible to work a booth and be a delegate at the same time.
            I'll volunteer to help out at the booth here in Texas if you need more
            people.

            >>Has anyone even inquired? Have we verified that all spaces are taken?
            Are there ten state chapters who could pitch in a couple of hundred
            each? What happened to the idea of there being strength in numbers?
            Has anyone even asked?<<

            We could also look into going in on a booth with another group if we
            have any contacts with reasonable ones.
            >>There I go being insensitive again. I'm on the RLC national committee
            as being alternate or something, but don't remember ever being
            contacted about any national business.<<

            Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
            Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

            >>I've been thinking of campaigning for a delegate slot. At my age, and
            with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance.<<

            I'm an alternate right now, but I hope to end up a delegate once things
            are sorted out in Houston. If that happens I'll campaign to be a delegate
            to national as well.

            >> I've just about
            decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
            level of interest among libertarian Republicans.<<

            Are the Ron Paul folks losing interest in following through with the
            whole process? If they come there ought to be a good reason for real
            libertarian republicans to be there to bridge the gap and try to build
            some unity with the rest of the party.

            Dave
          • Toby Nixon
            Message 5 of 22 , May 10, 2008
              Wow. Booths at the Washington state convention are only $100 for
              party-affiliated groups, $200 for other non-profit orgs, and $300 for
              vendors. Either the WSRP is leaving money on the table or you guys are
              getting ripped off! :-)

              -- Toby

> [...]

              > participate in the national convention has only been deferred. If some
              > local volunteers can be found as you suggest and the costs seem
              reasonable,
              > I'm certain we could pull something together and get one or more of our
              > national RLCers there to assist.
              >
              > Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
              > Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
              > "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
              > * * *
              > Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
              > advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What
              you do
              > really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
              > "I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian
              Republican.
              > The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian

            • rlcmcallen
              Message 6 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                Devid,

                Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
                figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
                having a voice. I was alluding to this article:
                http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/04/18/1561/email_tells_delegates_to_applaud_--_and_stay_out_of_politics_at_rnc_convention

                Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
                well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
                and not rocking the boat.

                Here is the letter referenced therein:

                Here's the text of the email sent by Nelson:

                Hello:

                I also wanted to mention that you must chose to either run for a
                delegate position or an alternate position. You cannot run for both.
                Please fill out the following form accordingly:

                National Delegate Self-Nomination Form

                You may place yourself in nomination to be a Delegate or Alternate
                to the National Republican Convention. Please be aware of the
                following expectations of your service in this capacity.

                1. You will be expected to attend. It is not sufficient to allow
                the alternate to take your place.

                2. There are substantial costs.

                a. The registration fee alone is generally $300 or more, and
                "guests," if you bring your spouse, cost the same.

                b. For security purposes, you will be required to stay in the
                convention hotel, at a cost of $2-300 per night (5 nights).

                c. You will be expected to contribute significantly to the
                national party and campaign, $1000 is almost the minimum.

                3. You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party
                by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc.

                ********You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a
                State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably
                limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have
                determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided
                and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited.
                After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this
                reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a "reward"
                for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a
                "representative" to a deliberative body or a "learning opportunity"
                for newcomers. *******

                If you accept and believe you can meet these qualifications,
                please answer all of the following questions, Yes or No:

                1. Do you pledge to attend the National Convention, health
                permitting?

                2. Do you have the financial means to do so?

                3. Do you pledge to support the Republican Presidential nominee
                after the convention?

                4. Do you pledge to work for the Presidential candidate AND for
                other Republican candidates during this campaign season?

                Please sign, date, and print your name below. At some point in
                the Agenda, you will be expected to deliver a short (roughly 1 minute)
                speech regarding your candidacy, upon which the delegates will base
                their votes.

                ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

                --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

                > >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to
                go.<<

                > Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
                > around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
                > attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
                > class.
                > The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
                > more per plate.

              • rlcmcallen
                Message 7 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                  --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

                  >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                  Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

                  RLC National has teleconferences?
                  How are they announced?

                  After being a delegate to the RPT Convention in Houston and if I
                  become a delegate to National in St. Paul, traveling across country
                  yet a third time in one summer to attend the RLC National will be a
                  stretch.
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                    >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences?

                    I assume you mean RLC Alternate Board members? Yes, of course they are--as
                    are the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact of every state RLC organization. To
                    keep the size of the teleconferences manageable, we once established a rule
                    of thumb of allowing each state *two* designated teleconference participants
                    (including the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact), but even that guidance is not
                    enforced. Greater participation in the teleconferences by each state is
                    strongly encouraged.

                    Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                    Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                    "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
                    * * *
                    Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
                    advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
                    really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman

                    >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                  • David Baumgardner
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                      It is currently 5:20 pm Central.  When does the telecon start?  How do I call in?

                      Dave B.
                      Wisconsin Coordinator

                      To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jap1@...
                      Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:04 -0400
                      Subject: RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

                      Jeff Palmer - jap1@peoplepc. com

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                        >> Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
                        figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
                        having a voice.

                        Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
                        well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
                        and not rocking the boat.<<

                        As you and the document you posted describe it they also make it sound
                        like there's not much point in going to the national convention because
                        all of the meaningful decisions will have been made at the state level.

                        What's really scaring me is that I'm getting all these glossy color mailers
                        from creepy old ladies who are running for slots on the RNC from Texas.
                        If they're spending a few thousand on that, then attending the convention
                        is likely to be expensive too.

                        If we want to become delegates to the national convention are we
                        supposed to be
                        putting together campaign materials for distribution at our state
                        conventions? Something like that might be necessary if we want to break
                        the hold of the
                        establishment.

                        Dave
                      • David Baumgardner
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                          Dave N.

                          Check your state requirements.  In Wisconsin, our delegates were chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus.  About 120 people showed up.  Only 2 RP supporters.  Eight people ran for delegate.  Three were chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home.  Unaware of the process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the various counties, I could've had a chance.  I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair, Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair.  You get the idea...  Those chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the county and state party.  Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a delegate won't work.  We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step aside".  We must join, work and build our base.  Once the base is there, we will get elected.  Grassroots to the Office.

                          Dave B.

                          To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                          From: graball@...
                          Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:46:56 -0500

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                            >>Check your state requirements. In Wisconsin, our delegates were
                            chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus. About 120 people showed
                            up. Only 2 RP supporters. Eight people ran for delegate. Three were
                            chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home. Unaware of the
                            process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the
                            various counties, I could've had a chance. <<

                            I'm up on the state process. RLCMcA and I are both in Texas, where
                            national delegates are chosen at the state convention. I only recently
                            learned that other states do it differently.
                            >>I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair,
                            Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair. You get the idea... Those
                            chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the
                            county and state party.<<

                            I've been a delegate to the district convention before and I'm active in
                            local GOP groups, but I'm not some sort of 'insider' unless my notoriety
                            has spread based on some of my writing.

                            >> Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a
                            delegate won't work. We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step
                            aside". We must join, work and build our base. Once the base is there,
                            we will get elected. Grassroots to the Office.<<

                            This may be what is going to cause the Ron Paul faction to lose interest
                            in the process which has good and bad aspects to it. Hopefully some of
                            them will stick around and become interested in the process of building
                            a base with a liberty orientation.

                            Dave
                          • David Baumgardner
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                              I agree that we need to establish a liberty oriented base.  I guess it is up to us-we stalwarts-to recruit train and educate libertarian-Republicans to the cause.  Lets take back our party and Nation.

                              To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                              From: graball@...
                              Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:22:17 -0500