Republican National Convention

    Message 1 of 22 , May 10, 2008
      Posted by: "rlcmcallen" pankratz@...
      > Do any RLC members expect to be national delegates?
          Just from the casual chatter I've seen, it could be
      anywhere from a half-dozen to several dozen ... but
      there isn't any formal "RLC contingent."

      > Does the national RLC plan to have a booth at the
      > national Republican convention?

          Unfortunately not. The booths were very expensive,
      booked up some time ago, and we didn't have enough
      RLCMN members willing to "person" an RLC booth.

          After the primaries and conventions are complete,
      I'll invite members who are delegates to let us know.
      Perhaps we can have a "subtle presence" by trying
      to encouraging them to wear an RLC lapel pin to all
      the GOP functions. Maybe we'll put together a free
      "delegate packet" that includes the pin, brochures,
      maybe RLC business cards. Perhaps one of the
      delegates can designate their hotel suite as an
      "RLC Lounge". Ideas welcome.

      Message 2 of 22 , May 10, 2008
        An RLC presence at the national GOP convention *has* been discussed. There
        is no doubt that it would be beneficial and something the RLC would like to
        do. The issue is one of costs and priorities. I've seen estimates for a
        single person attending the convention ranging from $3000 to $5000. Thus,
        the cost for the several people needed to staff an RLC booth--not to mention
        the cost of the booth itself--would be considerable. Without the cost
        savings that could be achieved with the support from the local RLC affiliate
        (for reasons addressed by Doug), the costs are prohibitive. And even so, it
        would be questionable that the costs would be the best use of our resources.
        Consider the relative merits of one table at a GOP national convention
        for--say-- $5000 versus tables at *50* state Young Republican Conventions
        for about $100 a piece. The choice seems clear.

        Nevertheless, I commend your enthusiasm. A decision on whether to
        participate in the national convention has only been deferred. If some
        local volunteers can be found as you suggest and the costs seem reasonable,
        I'm certain we could pull something together and get one or more of our
        national RLCers there to assist.

        Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
        Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
        "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
        * * *
        Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
        advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
        really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
        "I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian Republican.
        The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian Republicans
        to office." - U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

        Message 3 of 22 , May 10, 2008
          > FWIW, we (the Wyoming RLC) will have a booth in two weeks at the Wyoming Republican State Convention.  How many other state RLC chapters are doing the same?

          The North Carolina chapter will in June.  We also recently did the state YR conference.

          Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
          Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
          ”Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
           * * *
          National RLC — http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RLC-Action
          Asheville RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/asheville-area-rlc
          Cape Fear RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/cfrlc
          Charlotte RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/charlotte-area-rlc
          Triad-Area RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/triad-area-nc-rlc
          Triangle-Area RLC — http://rlc.meetup.com/92/
          * * *

          Message 4 of 22 , May 10, 2008
            >>A booth at the Republican National Convention is something that
            should be pushed by the national board of the RLC, not the state
            chapter. Bill? Aaron? What's happening at the national level with
            regard to the Republican National Convention? <<

            My only point in bringing this up is that it will be a lot easier to
            staff and run a booth or run any other kind of activity or promotion if
            we can draw on local people. If not from MN because of their problems,
            then from neighboring states.

            >>And are any RLC members delegates to the Republican National
            Convention?<<

            It's a bit too soon to know for most states.

            Dave
          • rlcmcallen
            Message 5 of 22 , May 10, 2008
              It is my understanding that the $3000 to $5000 cost being thrown
              around for attending the national convention includes maximum airfare
              for two, plus plush hotel rooms for several days, plus all the dinners
              and fund raisers, etc. I think the estimate is high for two reasons:

              1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.

              2) To encourage the idea that the convention is for the wealthy, to be
              thought of as an honor for past contributions and a fund-raising
              occasion, and not really a representative congress of Republicans for
              the purpose of making real decisions.

              I don't know how much a table itself would cost, but it seems to me
              that it can't be more than the traffic will bear. Our Texas RLC is
              paying $1000 for a table at the Texas convention. Since some of the
              booths are selling jewelry, hats, scarves, t-shirts and such it seems
              to me that the market won't support a much higher price for National.
              After all, the National convention is of the same order of magnitude
              as the Texas State convention.

              If even a few RLC members are going to be delegates, and attend as
              couples, I doubt that very many couples will have both husband and
              wife as national delegates. There should be some available to staff
              the booth. Our booth in Texas will require 7 volunteers to keep it
              open during strategic hours. Even if it were necessary to pay 3 or 4
              people to round out the staffing, it couldn't come to thousands of
              dollars, could it?

              Has anyone even inquired? Have we verified that all spaces are taken?
              Are there ten state chapters who could pitch in a couple of hundred
              each? What happened to the idea of there being strength in numbers?
              Has anyone even asked?

              There I go being insensitive again. I'm on the RLC national committee
              as being alternate or something, but don't remember ever being
              contacted about any national business.

              I've been thinking of campaigning for a delegate slot. At my age, and
              with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance. I've just about
              decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
              level of interest among libertarian Republicans.

              John P.

              Message 6 of 22 , May 10, 2008
                >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.<<

                Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
                around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
                attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
                class.
                The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
                more per plate.

                >>I don't know how much a table itself would cost, but it seems to me
                that it can't be more than the traffic will bear. Our Texas RLC is
                paying $1000 for a table at the Texas convention. Since some of the
                booths are selling jewelry, hats, scarves, t-shirts and such it seems
                to me that the market won't support a much higher price for National.
                After all, the National convention is of the same order of magnitude
                as the Texas State convention.<<

                It's of a much higher level of prestige, however, and that may factor in
                when it comes to pricing the tables/booths. There may also be a lot
                more demand because the market there is perceived as being more eager
                to spend money on memorabilia.

                >>If even a few RLC members are going to be delegates, and attend as
                couples, I doubt that very many couples will have both husband and
                wife as national delegates. There should be some available to staff
                the booth. Our booth in Texas will require 7 volunteers to keep it
                open during strategic hours. Even if it were necessary to pay 3 or 4
                people to round out the staffing, it couldn't come to thousands of
                dollars, could it?<<

                It's also possible to work a booth and be a delegate at the same time.
                I'll volunteer to help out at the booth here in Texas if you need more
                people.

                >>Has anyone even inquired? Have we verified that all spaces are taken?
                Are there ten state chapters who could pitch in a couple of hundred
                each? What happened to the idea of there being strength in numbers?
                Has anyone even asked?<<

                We could also look into going in on a booth with another group if we
                have any contacts with reasonable ones.
                >>There I go being insensitive again. I'm on the RLC national committee
                as being alternate or something, but don't remember ever being
                contacted about any national business.<<

                Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

                >>I've been thinking of campaigning for a delegate slot. At my age, and
                with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance.<<

                I'm an alternate right now, but I hope to end up a delegate once things
                are sorted out in Houston. If that happens I'll campaign to be a delegate
                to national as well.

                >> I've just about
                decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
                level of interest among libertarian Republicans.<<

                Are the Ron Paul folks losing interest in following through with the
                whole process? If they come there ought to be a good reason for real
                libertarian republicans to be there to bridge the gap and try to build
                some unity with the rest of the party.

                Dave
              • Toby Nixon
                Message 7 of 22 , May 10, 2008
                  Wow. Booths at the Washington state convention are only $100 for
                  party-affiliated groups, $200 for other non-profit orgs, and $300 for
                  vendors. Either the WSRP is leaving money on the table or you guys are
                  getting ripped off! :-)

                  -- Toby

> [...]

                  > participate in the national convention has only been deferred. If some
                  > local volunteers can be found as you suggest and the costs seem
                  reasonable,
                  > I'm certain we could pull something together and get one or more of our
                  > national RLCers there to assist.
                  >
                  > Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                  > Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                  > "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
                  > * * *
                  > Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
                  > advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What
                  you do
                  > really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
                  > "I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian
                  Republican.
                  > The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian

                • rlcmcallen
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                    Devid,

                    Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
                    figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
                    having a voice. I was alluding to this article:
                    http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/04/18/1561/email_tells_delegates_to_applaud_--_and_stay_out_of_politics_at_rnc_convention

                    Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
                    well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
                    and not rocking the boat.

                    Here is the letter referenced therein:

                    Here's the text of the email sent by Nelson:

                    Hello:

                    I also wanted to mention that you must chose to either run for a
                    delegate position or an alternate position. You cannot run for both.
                    Please fill out the following form accordingly:

                    National Delegate Self-Nomination Form

                    You may place yourself in nomination to be a Delegate or Alternate
                    to the National Republican Convention. Please be aware of the
                    following expectations of your service in this capacity.

                    1. You will be expected to attend. It is not sufficient to allow
                    the alternate to take your place.

                    2. There are substantial costs.

                    a. The registration fee alone is generally $300 or more, and
                    "guests," if you bring your spouse, cost the same.

                    b. For security purposes, you will be required to stay in the
                    convention hotel, at a cost of $2-300 per night (5 nights).

                    c. You will be expected to contribute significantly to the
                    national party and campaign, $1000 is almost the minimum.

                    3. You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party
                    by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc.

                    ********You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a
                    State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably
                    limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have
                    determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided
                    and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited.
                    After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this
                    reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a "reward"
                    for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a
                    "representative" to a deliberative body or a "learning opportunity"
                    for newcomers. *******

                    If you accept and believe you can meet these qualifications,
                    please answer all of the following questions, Yes or No:

                    1. Do you pledge to attend the National Convention, health
                    permitting?

                    2. Do you have the financial means to do so?

                    3. Do you pledge to support the Republican Presidential nominee
                    after the convention?

                    4. Do you pledge to work for the Presidential candidate AND for
                    other Republican candidates during this campaign season?

                    Please sign, date, and print your name below. At some point in
                    the Agenda, you will be expected to deliver a short (roughly 1 minute)
                    speech regarding your candidacy, upon which the delegates will base
                    their votes.

                    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

                    --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

                    > >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to
                    go.<<

                    > Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
                    > around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
                    > attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
                    > class.
                    > The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
                    > more per plate.

                  • rlcmcallen
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

                      >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                      Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

                      RLC National has teleconferences?
                      How are they announced?

                      After being a delegate to the RPT Convention in Houston and if I
                      become a delegate to National in St. Paul, traveling across country
                      yet a third time in one summer to attend the RLC National will be a
                      stretch.
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                        >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences?

                        I assume you mean RLC Alternate Board members? Yes, of course they are--as
                        are the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact of every state RLC organization. To
                        keep the size of the teleconferences manageable, we once established a rule
                        of thumb of allowing each state *two* designated teleconference participants
                        (including the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact), but even that guidance is not
                        enforced. Greater participation in the teleconferences by each state is
                        strongly encouraged.

                        Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                        Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                        "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
                        * * *
                        Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
                        advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
                        really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman

                        >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                      • David Baumgardner
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                          It is currently 5:20 pm Central.  When does the telecon start?  How do I call in?

                          Dave B.
                          Wisconsin Coordinator

                          To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jap1@...
                          Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:04 -0400
                          Subject: RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Republican National Convention

                          Jeff Palmer - jap1@peoplepc. com

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                            >> Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
                            figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
                            having a voice.

                            Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
                            well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
                            and not rocking the boat.<<

                            As you and the document you posted describe it they also make it sound
                            like there's not much point in going to the national convention because
                            all of the meaningful decisions will have been made at the state level.

                            What's really scaring me is that I'm getting all these glossy color mailers
                            from creepy old ladies who are running for slots on the RNC from Texas.
                            If they're spending a few thousand on that, then attending the convention
                            is likely to be expensive too.

                            If we want to become delegates to the national convention are we
                            supposed to be
                            putting together campaign materials for distribution at our state
                            conventions? Something like that might be necessary if we want to break
                            the hold of the
                            establishment.

                            Dave
                          • David Baumgardner
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                              Dave N.

                              Check your state requirements.  In Wisconsin, our delegates were chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus.  About 120 people showed up.  Only 2 RP supporters.  Eight people ran for delegate.  Three were chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home.  Unaware of the process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the various counties, I could've had a chance.  I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair, Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair.  You get the idea...  Those chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the county and state party.  Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a delegate won't work.  We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step aside".  We must join, work and build our base.  Once the base is there, we will get elected.  Grassroots to the Office.

                              Dave B.

                              To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                              From: graball@...
                              Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:46:56 -0500

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                >>Check your state requirements. In Wisconsin, our delegates were
                                chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus. About 120 people showed
                                up. Only 2 RP supporters. Eight people ran for delegate. Three were
                                chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home. Unaware of the
                                process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the
                                various counties, I could've had a chance. <<

                                I'm up on the state process. RLCMcA and I are both in Texas, where
                                national delegates are chosen at the state convention. I only recently
                                learned that other states do it differently.
                                >>I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair,
                                Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair. You get the idea... Those
                                chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the
                                county and state party.<<

                                I've been a delegate to the district convention before and I'm active in
                                local GOP groups, but I'm not some sort of 'insider' unless my notoriety
                                has spread based on some of my writing.

                                >> Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a
                                delegate won't work. We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step
                                aside". We must join, work and build our base. Once the base is there,
                                we will get elected. Grassroots to the Office.<<

                                This may be what is going to cause the Ron Paul faction to lose interest
                                in the process which has good and bad aspects to it. Hopefully some of
                                them will stick around and become interested in the process of building
                                a base with a liberty orientation.

                                Dave
                              • David Baumgardner
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                  I agree that we need to establish a liberty oriented base.  I guess it is up to us-we stalwarts-to recruit train and educate libertarian-Republicans to the cause.  Lets take back our party and Nation.

                                  To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: graball@...
                                  Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:22:17 -0500