Re: Republican National Convention

  • rlcmcallen
    Message 1 of 22 , May 10, 2008
      I didn't mean the Minnesota State Convention. I meant the National
      Convention. It seems that ALL the state chapters, and the National
      leadership of the RLC would be planning a presence at the RP Nation
      Convention.

      I note that Ron Paul got about 9,852 votes or 15.68% of the total in
      MN. Surely there must be a few score potentially active RLC members
      among them. This of course is much like other states, where we have so
      few compared to the total of Ron Paul supporters. I wish there were
      some way to mobilize those people on an ongoing basis within the RLC.
      A list of participants in the Minnesota caucuses must be available. A
      mailing to them would reach the Ron Paul supporters, and would be
      about 16% of all cards mailed. Would it be worth the trouble? Could it
      be done on a county-by-county basis, starting with those counties that
      had the best Ron Paul turnout? As the organization grew, additional
      counties could be mailed to, using the resources of the growing RLC.

      We need to be aggressive, both in MN and here in Texas and everywhere
      else. It seems to me, though, than MN is much more fertile ground and
      more doable than Texas since it is (1) three times as supportive of
      Ron Paul and (2) much smaller overall.

      Maybe even all of us could pitch in to help build the RLC in one
      state, and then attack another. We as the RLC have yet to catch the
      fervor of the Ron Paul revolutionaries.

      God bless,
      and I'm sorry to hear of your ill health, Doug. I don't mean to be
      insensitive. It just seems a shame that with all the potential out
      there we can't seem to get people excited.

      This is the RLC ACTION board, right?

      John P.

      -- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...> wrote:

      > /Pardon my ignorance, but do we have an active Minnesota group?
      > They'd be the guys to have on the ground with a booth. -- Dave/
      >
      > I'd like to answer with a hearty yes, but it seems at the moment I am
      > the only active member. Ebenezer has been contributing money but is not
      > able to attend to the business of the caucus due to other commitments.
      > I've been working hard to get people to help with a number of things,
      > but I can't even get them to RSVP to our May 17 RLCMN convention. I'm
      > hoping to have enough people show up to elect a whole new executive
      > committee and will put the matter before them. No telling if there will
      > be enough people to do what needs to be done.
      >
      > Not only am I sick of being a one man show, I am actually really sick.
      > Just spent two weeks in the hospital. I need people to step up and
      lead,
      > but no one seems interested. If the convention fails, then I'll be
      > walking away. This is m last shot at passing the torch.
      >
      > Doug Harrison
      > RLCMN, Treasurer
    • Don Wills
      Message 2 of 22 , May 10, 2008
        A booth at the Republican National Convention is something that should be pushed by the national board of the RLC, not the state chapter.  Bill?  Aaron?  What's happening at the national level with regard to the Republican National Convention?  And are any RLC members delegates to the Republican National Convention?

        FWIW, we (the Wyoming RLC) will have a booth in two weeks at the Wyoming Republican State Convention.  How many other state RLC chapters are doing the same?

        On May 10, 2008, at 10:59 AM, rlcmcallen wrote:

[...]

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

        -- In RLC-Action@yahoogro ups.com, DGHarrison <DGHarrison@ ...> wrote:

        > /Pardon my ignorance, but do we have an active Minnesota group?
        > They'd be the guys to have on the ground with a booth. -- Dave/
        >
        > I'd like to answer with a hearty yes, but it seems at the moment I am
        > the only active member. Ebenezer has been contributing money but is not
        > able to attend to the business of the caucus due to other commitments.
        > I've been working hard to get people to help with a number of things,
        > but I can't even get them to RSVP to our May 17 RLCMN convention. I'm
        > hoping to have enough people show up to elect a whole new executive
        > committee and will put the matter before them. No telling if there will
        > be enough people to do what needs to be done.
        >
        > Not only am I sick of being a one man show, I am actually really sick.
        > Just spent two weeks in the hospital. I need people to step up and
        lead,
        > but no one seems interested. If the convention fails, then I'll be
        > walking away. This is m last shot at passing the torch.
        >
        > Doug Harrison
        > RLCMN, Treasurer

      • Thomas Willenbring
        Message 3 of 22 , May 10, 2008

          I’m local to the Twin Cities and if the RLC decides to get a booth at the National Convention I’d be willing to man it part of the time…..Time is probably going to be running short to get credentials and all.

          Message 4 of 22 , May 10, 2008
            Posted by: "rlcmcallen" pankratz@...
            > Do any RLC members expect to be national delegates?
                Just from the casual chatter I've seen, it could be
            anywhere from a half-dozen to several dozen ... but
            there isn't any formal "RLC contingent."

            > Does the national RLC plan to have a booth at the
            > national Republican convention?

                Unfortunately not. The booths were very expensive,
            booked up some time ago, and we didn't have enough
            RLCMN members willing to "person" an RLC booth.

                After the primaries and conventions are complete,
            I'll invite members who are delegates to let us know.
            Perhaps we can have a "subtle presence" by trying
            to encouraging them to wear an RLC lapel pin to all
            the GOP functions. Maybe we'll put together a free
            "delegate packet" that includes the pin, brochures,
            maybe RLC business cards. Perhaps one of the
            delegates can designate their hotel suite as an
            "RLC Lounge". Ideas welcome.

            Message 5 of 22 , May 10, 2008
              An RLC presence at the national GOP convention *has* been discussed. There
              is no doubt that it would be beneficial and something the RLC would like to
              do. The issue is one of costs and priorities. I've seen estimates for a
              single person attending the convention ranging from $3000 to $5000. Thus,
              the cost for the several people needed to staff an RLC booth--not to mention
              the cost of the booth itself--would be considerable. Without the cost
              savings that could be achieved with the support from the local RLC affiliate
              (for reasons addressed by Doug), the costs are prohibitive. And even so, it
              would be questionable that the costs would be the best use of our resources.
              Consider the relative merits of one table at a GOP national convention
              for--say-- $5000 versus tables at *50* state Young Republican Conventions
              for about $100 a piece. The choice seems clear.

              Nevertheless, I commend your enthusiasm. A decision on whether to
              participate in the national convention has only been deferred. If some
              local volunteers can be found as you suggest and the costs seem reasonable,
              I'm certain we could pull something together and get one or more of our
              national RLCers there to assist.

              Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
              Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
              "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
              * * *
              Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
              advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
              really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
              "I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian Republican.
              The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian Republicans
              to office." - U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

              Message 6 of 22 , May 10, 2008
                > FWIW, we (the Wyoming RLC) will have a booth in two weeks at the Wyoming Republican State Convention.  How many other state RLC chapters are doing the same?

                The North Carolina chapter will in June.  We also recently did the state YR conference.

                Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                ”Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
                 * * *
                National RLC — http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RLC-Action
                Asheville RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/asheville-area-rlc
                Cape Fear RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/cfrlc
                Charlotte RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/charlotte-area-rlc
                Triad-Area RLC — http://groups.google.com/group/triad-area-nc-rlc
                Triangle-Area RLC — http://rlc.meetup.com/92/
                * * *

                Message 7 of 22 , May 10, 2008
                  >>A booth at the Republican National Convention is something that
                  should be pushed by the national board of the RLC, not the state
                  chapter. Bill? Aaron? What's happening at the national level with
                  regard to the Republican National Convention? <<

                  My only point in bringing this up is that it will be a lot easier to
                  staff and run a booth or run any other kind of activity or promotion if
                  we can draw on local people. If not from MN because of their problems,
                  then from neighboring states.

                  >>And are any RLC members delegates to the Republican National
                  Convention?<<

                  It's a bit too soon to know for most states.

                  Dave
                • rlcmcallen
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 10, 2008
                    It is my understanding that the $3000 to $5000 cost being thrown
                    around for attending the national convention includes maximum airfare
                    for two, plus plush hotel rooms for several days, plus all the dinners
                    and fund raisers, etc. I think the estimate is high for two reasons:

                    1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.

                    2) To encourage the idea that the convention is for the wealthy, to be
                    thought of as an honor for past contributions and a fund-raising
                    occasion, and not really a representative congress of Republicans for
                    the purpose of making real decisions.

                    I don't know how much a table itself would cost, but it seems to me
                    that it can't be more than the traffic will bear. Our Texas RLC is
                    paying $1000 for a table at the Texas convention. Since some of the
                    booths are selling jewelry, hats, scarves, t-shirts and such it seems
                    to me that the market won't support a much higher price for National.
                    After all, the National convention is of the same order of magnitude
                    as the Texas State convention.

                    If even a few RLC members are going to be delegates, and attend as
                    couples, I doubt that very many couples will have both husband and
                    wife as national delegates. There should be some available to staff
                    the booth. Our booth in Texas will require 7 volunteers to keep it
                    open during strategic hours. Even if it were necessary to pay 3 or 4
                    people to round out the staffing, it couldn't come to thousands of
                    dollars, could it?

                    Has anyone even inquired? Have we verified that all spaces are taken?
                    Are there ten state chapters who could pitch in a couple of hundred
                    each? What happened to the idea of there being strength in numbers?
                    Has anyone even asked?

                    There I go being insensitive again. I'm on the RLC national committee
                    as being alternate or something, but don't remember ever being
                    contacted about any national business.

                    I've been thinking of campaigning for a delegate slot. At my age, and
                    with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance. I've just about
                    decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
                    level of interest among libertarian Republicans.

                    John P.

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 10, 2008
                      >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to go.<<

                      Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
                      around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
                      attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
                      class.
                      The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
                      more per plate.

                      >>I don't know how much a table itself would cost, but it seems to me
                      that it can't be more than the traffic will bear. Our Texas RLC is
                      paying $1000 for a table at the Texas convention. Since some of the
                      booths are selling jewelry, hats, scarves, t-shirts and such it seems
                      to me that the market won't support a much higher price for National.
                      After all, the National convention is of the same order of magnitude
                      as the Texas State convention.<<

                      It's of a much higher level of prestige, however, and that may factor in
                      when it comes to pricing the tables/booths. There may also be a lot
                      more demand because the market there is perceived as being more eager
                      to spend money on memorabilia.

                      >>If even a few RLC members are going to be delegates, and attend as
                      couples, I doubt that very many couples will have both husband and
                      wife as national delegates. There should be some available to staff
                      the booth. Our booth in Texas will require 7 volunteers to keep it
                      open during strategic hours. Even if it were necessary to pay 3 or 4
                      people to round out the staffing, it couldn't come to thousands of
                      dollars, could it?<<

                      It's also possible to work a booth and be a delegate at the same time.
                      I'll volunteer to help out at the booth here in Texas if you need more
                      people.

                      >>Has anyone even inquired? Have we verified that all spaces are taken?
                      Are there ten state chapters who could pitch in a couple of hundred
                      each? What happened to the idea of there being strength in numbers?
                      Has anyone even asked?<<

                      We could also look into going in on a booth with another group if we
                      have any contacts with reasonable ones.
                      >>There I go being insensitive again. I'm on the RLC national committee
                      as being alternate or something, but don't remember ever being
                      contacted about any national business.<<

                      Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                      Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

                      >>I've been thinking of campaigning for a delegate slot. At my age, and
                      with my record I might have at least a 50/50 chance.<<

                      I'm an alternate right now, but I hope to end up a delegate once things
                      are sorted out in Houston. If that happens I'll campaign to be a delegate
                      to national as well.

                      >> I've just about
                      decided, however, not to bother given what seems to be the general
                      level of interest among libertarian Republicans.<<

                      Are the Ron Paul folks losing interest in following through with the
                      whole process? If they come there ought to be a good reason for real
                      libertarian republicans to be there to bridge the gap and try to build
                      some unity with the rest of the party.

                      Dave
                    • Toby Nixon
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 10, 2008
                        Wow. Booths at the Washington state convention are only $100 for
                        party-affiliated groups, $200 for other non-profit orgs, and $300 for
                        vendors. Either the WSRP is leaving money on the table or you guys are
                        getting ripped off! :-)

                        -- Toby

> [...]

                        > participate in the national convention has only been deferred. If some
                        > local volunteers can be found as you suggest and the costs seem
                        reasonable,
                        > I'm certain we could pull something together and get one or more of our
                        > national RLCers there to assist.
                        >
                        > Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                        > Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                        > "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
                        > * * *
                        > Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
                        > advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What
                        you do
                        > really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman
                        > "I served in Congress for many years as an elected libertarian
                        Republican.
                        > The RLC has proven to be effective in electing other libertarian

                      • rlcmcallen
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                          Devid,

                          Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
                          figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
                          having a voice. I was alluding to this article:
                          http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/04/18/1561/email_tells_delegates_to_applaud_--_and_stay_out_of_politics_at_rnc_convention

                          Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
                          well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
                          and not rocking the boat.

                          Here is the letter referenced therein:

                          Here's the text of the email sent by Nelson:

                          Hello:

                          I also wanted to mention that you must chose to either run for a
                          delegate position or an alternate position. You cannot run for both.
                          Please fill out the following form accordingly:

                          National Delegate Self-Nomination Form

                          You may place yourself in nomination to be a Delegate or Alternate
                          to the National Republican Convention. Please be aware of the
                          following expectations of your service in this capacity.

                          1. You will be expected to attend. It is not sufficient to allow
                          the alternate to take your place.

                          2. There are substantial costs.

                          a. The registration fee alone is generally $300 or more, and
                          "guests," if you bring your spouse, cost the same.

                          b. For security purposes, you will be required to stay in the
                          convention hotel, at a cost of $2-300 per night (5 nights).

                          c. You will be expected to contribute significantly to the
                          national party and campaign, $1000 is almost the minimum.

                          3. You are expected to contribute to the "TV image" of the Party
                          by being present, applauding and cheering at the "right" places, etc.

                          ********You should also be aware that, unlike your service as a
                          State or local delegate, your influence on the process is considerably
                          limited. The other primary states will, by convention time, have
                          determined the Presidential nominee. The platform process is divided
                          and the opportunity to participate in even a piece of it is limited.
                          After the convention, the platform is generally ignored. For this
                          reason, the role of National Delegate is generally seen as a "reward"
                          for long and faithful service to the Party, rather than as a
                          "representative" to a deliberative body or a "learning opportunity"
                          for newcomers. *******

                          If you accept and believe you can meet these qualifications,
                          please answer all of the following questions, Yes or No:

                          1. Do you pledge to attend the National Convention, health
                          permitting?

                          2. Do you have the financial means to do so?

                          3. Do you pledge to support the Republican Presidential nominee
                          after the convention?

                          4. Do you pledge to work for the Presidential candidate AND for
                          other Republican candidates during this campaign season?

                          Please sign, date, and print your name below. At some point in
                          the Agenda, you will be expected to deliver a short (roughly 1 minute)
                          speech regarding your candidacy, upon which the delegates will base
                          their votes.

                          ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

                          --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

                          > >>1) To discourage "little people" from even thinking of asking to
                          go.<<

                          > Paranoid much? I think you have to look at who is throwing the figures
                          > around. I've seen figures like that from the media who assume that the
                          > attendees are fatcats who are paying $500+ per night and flying first
                          > class.
                          > The figures may also include fundraising events which run $500 to a LOT
                          > more per plate.

                        • rlcmcallen
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                            --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nalle <graball@...> wrote:

                            >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                            Are you planning on going to the RLC convention?

                            RLC National has teleconferences?
                            How are they announced?

                            After being a delegate to the RPT Convention in Houston and if I
                            become a delegate to National in St. Paul, traveling across country
                            yet a third time in one summer to attend the RLC National will be a
                            stretch.
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                              >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences?

                              I assume you mean RLC Alternate Board members? Yes, of course they are--as
                              are the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact of every state RLC organization. To
                              keep the size of the teleconferences manageable, we once established a rule
                              of thumb of allowing each state *two* designated teleconference participants
                              (including the Chairman/Coordinator/Contact), but even that guidance is not
                              enforced. Greater participation in the teleconferences by each state is
                              strongly encouraged.

                              Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
                              Treasurer, Republican Liberty Caucus
                              "Pursuing libertarianism within the GOP since 1990"
                              * * *
                              Quotes of the Week: "The Republican Liberty Caucus does the real work of
                              advancing limited government; you don't just talk about it... What you do
                              really makes a difference." - Haley Barbour, RNC Chairman

                              >Aren't alternates invited to the teleconferences? They ought to be.
                            • David Baumgardner
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                It is currently 5:20 pm Central.  When does the telecon start?  How do I call in?

                                Dave B.
                                Wisconsin Coordinator

                                To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                                From: jap1@...
                                Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:04 -0400

                                Jeff Palmer - jap1@peoplepc. com

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                  >> Paranoid much? I think not! Party hacks are among those throwing the
                                  figures around, obviously to discourage the financially limited from
                                  having a voice.

                                  Note that "requirements" for being a delegate include being
                                  well-heeled, giving large amounts to the Party, attending fundraisers,
                                  and not rocking the boat.<<

                                  As you and the document you posted describe it they also make it sound
                                  like there's not much point in going to the national convention because
                                  all of the meaningful decisions will have been made at the state level.

                                  What's really scaring me is that I'm getting all these glossy color mailers
                                  from creepy old ladies who are running for slots on the RNC from Texas.
                                  If they're spending a few thousand on that, then attending the convention
                                  is likely to be expensive too.

                                  If we want to become delegates to the national convention are we
                                  supposed to be
                                  putting together campaign materials for distribution at our state
                                  conventions? Something like that might be necessary if we want to break
                                  the hold of the
                                  establishment.

                                  Dave
                                • David Baumgardner
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                    Dave N.

                                    Check your state requirements.  In Wisconsin, our delegates were chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus.  About 120 people showed up.  Only 2 RP supporters.  Eight people ran for delegate.  Three were chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home.  Unaware of the process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the various counties, I could've had a chance.  I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair, Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair.  You get the idea...  Those chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the county and state party.  Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a delegate won't work.  We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step aside".  We must join, work and build our base.  Once the base is there, we will get elected.  Grassroots to the Office.

                                    Dave B.

                                    To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: graball@...
                                    Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:46:56 -0500

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                      >>Check your state requirements. In Wisconsin, our delegates were
                                      chosen at the [Congressional] District Caucus. About 120 people showed
                                      up. Only 2 RP supporters. Eight people ran for delegate. Three were
                                      chosen for alternate, three for delegate, two stay home. Unaware of the
                                      process, I did not run for delegate, but a few RLC members from the
                                      various counties, I could've had a chance. <<

                                      I'm up on the state process. RLCMcA and I are both in Texas, where
                                      national delegates are chosen at the state convention. I only recently
                                      learned that other states do it differently.
                                      >>I am however, a lifelong Republican: TARs chair, YR, CR campus chair,
                                      Toddlers for Goldwater- county [high]chair. You get the idea... Those
                                      chosen are not typically wealthy, but they have been active in the
                                      county and state party.<<

                                      I've been a delegate to the district convention before and I'm active in
                                      local GOP groups, but I'm not some sort of 'insider' unless my notoriety
                                      has spread based on some of my writing.

                                      >> Just walking in, without supporters, and saying here I am make me a
                                      delegate won't work. We just can't say "You all are hacks, now step
                                      aside". We must join, work and build our base. Once the base is there,
                                      we will get elected. Grassroots to the Office.<<

                                      This may be what is going to cause the Ron Paul faction to lose interest
                                      in the process which has good and bad aspects to it. Hopefully some of
                                      them will stick around and become interested in the process of building
                                      a base with a liberty orientation.

                                      Dave
                                    • David Baumgardner
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                        I agree that we need to establish a liberty oriented base.  I guess it is up to us-we stalwarts-to recruit train and educate libertarian-Republicans to the cause.  Lets take back our party and Nation.

                                        To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: graball@...
                                        Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:22:17 -0500