Re: [RLC-Action] Battle lines

  • dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2008

      John,

      I am unfamiliar with rules within your county, but in Broward, committee members are elected or appointed at the discretion of the committee during non-election periods. Instead of battling, why not run? At that point, the only oath you should have to take is to the USA and to the Republican Party at the most, not to a candidate! This sounds too conspiracy theory. One would think that our party would invite more members instead of throw them to the wayside. Do you have names of these individuals that were asking for appointment and contacts at the Pasco committee that we can write? This would be a great help.

      There is no reason to get up at arms unless you have names and contacts. In the end, we all need to take it to the election, and in the end we will win.

      David Stenger - Fort Lauderdale

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2008
        I respectfully disagree with:

        "At that point, the only oath you should have to take is to the USA and to the Republican Party at the most, not to a candidate!"

        In my opinion, the first part about taking an oath to the USA is fine if it is done in the context of the Constitution, but to the Republican Party - never!  But you're spot on about not supporting a Republican candidate just because they're a Republican.  I am a member of the Greene County, Ohio Republican Central Committee, and I didn't run for that office twice to stuff envelopes, lick stamps and put up tables at the annual picnic, although that's what the insiders expect.  I'm there to take our government back for future generations, and in Greene County Ohio, that's a tall order, but I'm looking forward to the journey.  I'm also looking forward to keeping my RLC friends in the loop.

        Cheers,

        John Mitchel

        dave <uzogood2000@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Michelle Fire Eater
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23, 2008

          Taking the party back means that... well, guess who will get to lick the stamps and stuff the envelopes. It is those who I sent to pick up tables and help that are now in official positions in their local GOP. Think the McCain pushers are going to lick the stamps for you? Running a party is a huge amount of work.

          The Republican Party is a tool, not a church or a club. You don’t take a test to get in, just check a box. It’s the same in the GOP. Local orgs are hurting for help so badly – I can’t think of an easier way to “take back” your government than to just help. Lick an envelope, run a meeting, pick up sandwiches for the volunteers... next thing you know you’re a district captain, and all your envelope lickers are RLC members. Easy peasy.

          Or, you can act like a mole then do the same thing to them that they did to you. Your call. Just use the tool right when you get it back and I’ll have no complaints.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2008
            Michelle,

            Maybe your county GOP Central Committee is different, but the reason many "Local orgs
            are hurting so badly" is that they are worse than clubs and churches in that they exist to
            advance the insiders who rarely remember their oath of office ten minutes after taking it.  When first elected, I did all those mundane things like stuff envelopes, and set up tables at the annual picnic, things that were beneath most of the candidates. I also donated money and campaigned for the few candidates who were worth supporting, including Ron Paul, but the empty suits keep right on coming, and if you want to be a "tool" for those traitors, be my guest.

            Mitch

            Michelle Fire Eater <michelle@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Philip Silouan Thompson
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2008
              John Mitchel, LtCol, USAF (Ret wrote:
              Maybe your county GOP Central Committee is different, but the reason many "Local orgs are hurting so badly" is that they are worse than clubs and churches in that they exist to advance the insiders who rarely remember their oath of office ten minutes after taking it.  When first elected, I did all those mundane things like stuff envelopes, and set up tables at the annual picnic, things that were beneath most of the candidates. I also donated money and campaigned for the few candidates who were worth supporting, including Ron Paul, but the empty suits keep right on coming, and if you want to be a "tool" for those traitors, be my guest.

              In our state, the county GOP leaders are elected by the precinct committee officers, and those PCOs are elected on a public ballot. Two thirds of the precints in Walla Walla have no PCO, so if one libertarian Republican files his candidacy in that precinct (fill out a form at the courthouse and pay a one-dollar filing fee) then that PCO seat is ours. In a lot of other precincts, the PCOs have been getting re-elected every two years because nobody knows or cares who they are. Empty suits indeed - only hereabouts it's more like empty cowboy hats :-) This year, between June 1 (our filing date) and our state election in August, I'll be walking my whole precinct and talking to folks about traditional Republican values like limited government, tax relief, and property rights, which are hot issues hereabouts. I think many of us can win PCO seats this summer by simply putting forth a little effort -- and then *we* will be able to elect the county GOP executive committee.

              And in the mean time, it's exactly the envelope-stuffing and other lowly support tasks that we're trying to take on -- because the local GOP organization needs those things done, and we want our group to be both indispensable and proven trustworthy. The Republicans in Missouri who experienced essentially a hostile takeover by Ron Paul supporters in their caucuses earlier this month will be angry and adversarial toward "outsiders." But if we build relationships and earn trust, while getting legitimately elected as PCOs, county and state committeemen, etc., then libertarian Republicans can speak and act with some genuine authority. We'll only have as much moral authority as we earn.

              Your mileage may vary,

              Phil Thompson
              Walla Walla, Washington

            • Michelle Murphy