Re: [RLC-Action] We're famous!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
      I don't have PageMaker, but I'm sure I can take a download on a floppy
      over to Kinko's, where I can use one of their computers to make any
      state specific adjustments and then get it printed. Please send me the
      file and accept my hearty thanks.

      I'm happy to hear folks talking about PR in terms of being proactive. No
      one is going to come to you to ask for your input or photos -- you have
      to send out press kits if you want to be in the news. Most press kits
      will get tossed in the garbage, but some will get ink.

      I was the editor of a glossy, monthly leisure magazine. It had a section
      for local events, and I really appreciated the folks who actively sent
      me photos of recent events. There is no way I could have solicited
      information from the thousands of potential sources, so when I got good
      photos with a full description of the people and event, I'd print them
      if I had the room for them. If the photos were out of focus, too dark or
      overexposed, or if the photos' were not clearly identified, I'd toss them.

      Take good photos of people -- backs of heads don't make the grade. Don't
      use the automatic date stamp -- it screws up the picture and creates an
      "expiration date." Clearly identify all the persons in the photograph --
      including names SPELLED CORRECTLY (Don't rely on your ears, but ask for
      the correct spelling, or risk: Smith, Smyth, Brown, Braun, etc.), title,
      organization, etc. Don't worry about providing too much information --
      the publication's editor will cut what he doesn't need, but he can't
      invent data to fill in a blank spot. Clearly explain the event,
      including venue, date, name of the event. Don't try to include a banner
      hanging behind the people at the expense of being able to identify the
      people. Understand that the editor will crop a photo to show the people
      -- not the banner -- so make sure you are getting the people, with their
      eyes open, without a fork in their mouths, and without annoying
      background objects that seem to be sticking out of their heads.
      Understand that the editor may have several press kits to choose from.
      He will select the best of those at hand to fill the available space,
      even if it means tossing out five of the six and blowing up the one
      photo. He is not going to thumbnail all six to get them in. Make your
      press kit better than the rest ... it's tough enough to get ink as it is.

      These are just a few off-the-cuff tips. Maybe someone can recommend a
      suitable source for further information. A "How to Create Effective
      Press Kits" book would be good.