Re: [RLC-Action] We're famous!

  • David Briggman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
      Congrats, Jeff! Very cool.

      If you can pop me a copy of your PM file, I'd be glad to have it here
      in Virginia.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
        I don't have PageMaker, but I'm sure I can take a download on a floppy
        over to Kinko's, where I can use one of their computers to make any
        state specific adjustments and then get it printed. Please send me the
        file and accept my hearty thanks.

        I'm happy to hear folks talking about PR in terms of being proactive. No
        one is going to come to you to ask for your input or photos -- you have
        to send out press kits if you want to be in the news. Most press kits
        will get tossed in the garbage, but some will get ink.

        I was the editor of a glossy, monthly leisure magazine. It had a section
        for local events, and I really appreciated the folks who actively sent
        me photos of recent events. There is no way I could have solicited
        information from the thousands of potential sources, so when I got good
        photos with a full description of the people and event, I'd print them
        if I had the room for them. If the photos were out of focus, too dark or
        overexposed, or if the photos' were not clearly identified, I'd toss them.

        Take good photos of people -- backs of heads don't make the grade. Don't
        use the automatic date stamp -- it screws up the picture and creates an
        "expiration date." Clearly identify all the persons in the photograph --
        including names SPELLED CORRECTLY (Don't rely on your ears, but ask for
        the correct spelling, or risk: Smith, Smyth, Brown, Braun, etc.), title,
        organization, etc. Don't worry about providing too much information --
        the publication's editor will cut what he doesn't need, but he can't
        invent data to fill in a blank spot. Clearly explain the event,
        including venue, date, name of the event. Don't try to include a banner
        hanging behind the people at the expense of being able to identify the
        people. Understand that the editor will crop a photo to show the people
        -- not the banner -- so make sure you are getting the people, with their
        eyes open, without a fork in their mouths, and without annoying
        background objects that seem to be sticking out of their heads.
        Understand that the editor may have several press kits to choose from.
        He will select the best of those at hand to fill the available space,
        even if it means tossing out five of the six and blowing up the one
        photo. He is not going to thumbnail all six to get them in. Make your
        press kit better than the rest ... it's tough enough to get ink as it is.

        These are just a few off-the-cuff tips. Maybe someone can recommend a
        suitable source for further information. A "How to Create Effective
        Press Kits" book would be good.