Libertarian Movies?

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2008
      Mainstream movies are an ideal vehicle for conveying the libertarian
      message; one can recommend them to a mainstream audience without placing
      them on guard against political proselytizing. Our recently reinvigorated
      North Carolina RLC is getting a website together with features intended to
      attract high mainstream GOP activist traffic. A "Top 10 List" of movie
      recommendations would be a neat feature. Here's a first-first draft. . .

      - Atlas Shrugged - "A powerful railroad executive struggles to keep her
      business alive while society is crumbling around her; based on the 1957
      novel by Ayn Rand; [DUE IN] 2008" [. . .]

      - The Battle of Algiers - "A surprisingly unbiased, documentary-like
      account of the bloodiest revolution in modern history; 3 Oscar nominations;
      1966" [The moral-ambiguity of "terrorists" versus "freedom fighters"; a
      stark reminder that even "civilized" western countries resort to barbaric
      behavior in times of war.]

      - Brazil - "A bureaucrat in a retro-future world tries to correct an
      administrative error and himself becomes an enemy of the state; directed by
      Terry Gilliam; 1985" [Bureaucratic absurdity, . . .]

      - Fahrenheit 451 - "In an oppressive future, a fireman whose duty is to
      destroy all books begins to question his task; based upon the Ray Bradbury
      novel; 1966" [Free speech, . . .]

      - I, Robot - "In the year 2035, a techno-phobic cop investigates a crime
      that may have been perpetrated by a robot, which leads to a larger threat to
      humanity; based upon the novel by Isaac Asimov, 2004" [. . .]

      - Shenandoah - "A Virginia farmer finds himself and his family in the
      middle of the Civil War; starring Jimmy Stewart; 1965" [Property rights,
      individualism, military conscription, personal responsibility, . . .]

      - Sirens - "A white woman relentlessly seeks justice against two racist
      policemen who accidentally killed her black ex-husband and had their
      department cover it up; starring Dana Delany; 1999" [Injustice, . . .]

      - Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith[?] - ". . .; 2005" [. . .]

      - V for Vendetta - "A shadowy freedom fighter known only as 'V' uses
      terrorist tactics to fight against his totalitarian society; starring
      Natalie Portman; 2005" [ . . . ]

      Obviously, the generic movie descriptions above will have to be modified to
      give the libertarian morals of the stories.

      Any comments/suggestions/additions welcome! Specifically, does anyone
      [Cliff?] still have Cliff Theis's great movie review of one of the Star Wars
      movies [I forget which one] which summarized the plot in libertarian vs.
      statist terms?

      * * *

      Similarly, clips of popular TV shows with a libertarian message would be a
      powerful tool, e.g.:

      Barney Fife Reciting the Preamble of the Constitution:
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuPQgV8yBM&NR=1
      "Keep in mind this was done for a public that had about 40 years
      LESS of government schooling than we have today. (Imagine recent presidents
      playing the Barney Fife role!)"

      Captain Kirk Rebestowing the U.S. Constitution on the Huddled Masses of the
      Future:
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutY7NnNuyA&NR=1
      ". . ."

      Again, comments, suggestions, and especially additions welcome!

      * * *

      Does anyone have any concise libertarian quotes from well-known movies
      and/or actors to add to those below?

      TIA!

      Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
      * * *
      Quotes of the Week: “If the rights of the individual are not respected by
      the group, the group itself cannot exist for long.” -- Jo Stockton (Audrey
      Hepburn), Funny Face, 1957
      * * *
      “So this is how freedom dies: To thunderous applause.” -- Padmé (Natalie
      Portman), Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith, 2005
      * * *
      “I don't think this place is half as nice as Tiffany's.” -- Holly Golightly
      (Audrey Hepburn) noting the difference between private sector and government
      sector customer service, Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1961

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      2:39 PM
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2008
        I love this idea. I'd suggest that we also include titles for children, since we have to start early to counteract the indoctrination of public schools. A list of books would also be welcomed. We can put thumbnails of the DVD and book covers on the website and sell them (via any one of the online stores that pay commissions on sales, or through e-Bay, or from our own bookstore). The commissions can then be used to fund programs. There is also the possibility of having Yahoo or Google ads and such for additional income. To see how this works, visit http://www.JewishWorldReview.com and see how the banner ads are inserted by topic with each article. It appears that the host site can specify parameters for the ads, because they are always germane to the topic of the article and I've never seen any ugly ads that run counter to the site's philosophy. The point is that many of us would like to build our libraries of such DVDs and why not have a portion of our expense go back to the people that did all the work for us by creating the list?

        TANSTAAFL "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch," as published in Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (a.k.a., TINSTAAFL "There is no such thing as a free lunch," to avoid the double negative.

        The Patriot, starring Mel Gibson

      • Dan McGuire