We're famous!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
      Check out http://www.TheAdvocates.org.  The North Carolina & Florida RLC's efforts at the 2004 Southern Republican Leadership Conference are featured on the front page.  [Take notice New Hampshire...  It's not size that matters; it's what you do with it that counts!  ;>  ]

      The Advocates for Self-Government informs us that their webpage's front page story and photo will be rotated weekly to highlight other examples of their World's Smallest Political Quiz in use.  With *thousands* of visitors to the website each day, this is a *great* way for the RLC to get publicity, so I'd encourage everyone in the RLC to submit photos and write-ups of their WSPQ-based outreach events to the Advocates for inclusion in future weeks.  [Kudos to Phil Blumel for submitting the photo from the SRLC event!]

      I hope this will put to rest the recent debate about the efficacy of using the Advocates' version of the WSPQ.

      Incidentally, the photo at the website shows our RLC-customized WSPQ chart.  [Pretty sharp, if I do say so myself!  :)  ]  I'd be happy to provide the graphics file (currently in PageMaker) of the chart for use by other states.  The file can be easily blown up to 2' x 3' poster size on laminated backer board by Kinko's.

      Jeff Palmer - jap@... - www.rlc.org
      Coordinator, Republican Liberty Caucus of North Carolina

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
        Congrats, Jeff! Very cool.

        If you can pop me a copy of your PM file, I'd be glad to have it here
        in Virginia.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
          I don't have PageMaker, but I'm sure I can take a download on a floppy
          over to Kinko's, where I can use one of their computers to make any
          state specific adjustments and then get it printed. Please send me the
          file and accept my hearty thanks.

          I'm happy to hear folks talking about PR in terms of being proactive. No
          one is going to come to you to ask for your input or photos -- you have
          to send out press kits if you want to be in the news. Most press kits
          will get tossed in the garbage, but some will get ink.

          I was the editor of a glossy, monthly leisure magazine. It had a section
          for local events, and I really appreciated the folks who actively sent
          me photos of recent events. There is no way I could have solicited
          information from the thousands of potential sources, so when I got good
          photos with a full description of the people and event, I'd print them
          if I had the room for them. If the photos were out of focus, too dark or
          overexposed, or if the photos' were not clearly identified, I'd toss them.

          Take good photos of people -- backs of heads don't make the grade. Don't
          use the automatic date stamp -- it screws up the picture and creates an
          "expiration date." Clearly identify all the persons in the photograph --
          including names SPELLED CORRECTLY (Don't rely on your ears, but ask for
          the correct spelling, or risk: Smith, Smyth, Brown, Braun, etc.), title,
          organization, etc. Don't worry about providing too much information --
          the publication's editor will cut what he doesn't need, but he can't
          invent data to fill in a blank spot. Clearly explain the event,
          including venue, date, name of the event. Don't try to include a banner
          hanging behind the people at the expense of being able to identify the
          people. Understand that the editor will crop a photo to show the people
          -- not the banner -- so make sure you are getting the people, with their
          eyes open, without a fork in their mouths, and without annoying
          background objects that seem to be sticking out of their heads.
          Understand that the editor may have several press kits to choose from.
          He will select the best of those at hand to fill the available space,
          even if it means tossing out five of the six and blowing up the one
          photo. He is not going to thumbnail all six to get them in. Make your
          press kit better than the rest ... it's tough enough to get ink as it is.

          These are just a few off-the-cuff tips. Maybe someone can recommend a
          suitable source for further information. A "How to Create Effective
          Press Kits" book would be good.