RE: [RLC-Action] Fw: URGENT S.1959 ACTION ALERT - - - please forward widely

  • Toby Nixon
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2007

      I agree with Ken. I’ve seen a lot of email traffic expressing concern about this bill, but it is just a study commission. The idea that passage of this bill could result in anyone being “legally murdered in our beds”, and that it “must be stopped at all costs”, is ludicrous. Since the primary function of government is helping us to protect our lives, liberty and property, understanding how domestic terrorist groups come about, their methods of recruitment and growth, and how to protect the broad population in a way that is consistent with constitutional protections seems like a good idea. I *am* concerned about the breadth of the definition of “violent radicalization” and of “homegrown terrorism” in the bill, and would like to see it narrowed, but amending that definition should be easily accomplished by working with the bill sponsors and other groups concerned about civil liberties and freedom of expression.

                  -- Toby

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2007
        In a message dated 11/26/2007 4:19:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, citizenconway1010@... writes:
        THIS IS AN URGENT ACTION ALERT:

        S 1959 "Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007" must be stopped at all costs.
        "At all costs" -- Is anything out of bounds? Violence? Terrorism?

        Tom