Paul Courting Bubba Gump Shrimp Voter Block??

  • Norma Segal
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2007
      Catching up with mail. Sent to me on August 6 by
      someone in Florida LP.
      Norma

      > > Editorial in today's Wall Street Journal about
      > > 9-term "libertarian" congressman.
      > >
      > > Ron Paul's Earmarks
      > Term
      > > Limits!
      > > August 6, 2007; Page A12
      > > Texas Congressman Ron Paul -- libertarian gadfly
      > and
      > > current Republican Presidential hopeful -- has
      > made
      > > a name for himself as a critic of overspending.
      > But
      > > it seems even he can't resist the political allure
      > > of earmarks.
      > >
      > > After reporters started asking questions, the
      > > Congressman disclosed his requests this year for
      > > about $400 million worth of federal funding for no
      > > fewer than 65 earmarks. They include such urgent
      > > national wartime priorities as an $8 million
      > request
      > > for the marketing of wild American shrimp and $2.3
      > > million to fund shrimp-fishing research.
      > >
      > > When we called Mr. Paul's office for an
      > explanation,
      > > his spokesperson offered up something worthy of
      > pork
      > > legends Tom DeLay or Senator Robert C. Byrd:
      > > "Reducing earmarks does not reduce government
      > > spending, and it does not prohibit spending upon
      > > those things that are earmarked," the spokesman
      > > said. "What people who push earmark reform are
      > doing
      > > is they are particularly misleading the public --
      > > and I have to presume it's not by accident."
      > >
      > > On the other hand, good libertarians should want
      > > start cutting somewhere. The problem with
      > earmarking
      > > is that each year the habit grows by leaps and
      > > bounds so that it now represents real money. It is
      > > also a gateway to political corruption -- a la
      > Duke
      > > Cunningham, and other Congressmen currently under
      > > investigation for trading favors for earmarks.
      > >
      > > Mr. Paul is one of Congress's better fiscal
      > > conservatives. So the fact that even he feels
      > > obliged to grab multiple earmarks is all the more
      > > reason to keep fighting for transparency in the
      > > earmark process, as well as for the line-item
      > veto,
      > > which would give Presidents a chance to impose
      > some
      > > spending discipline from outside Congress.

      > Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

      that gives answers, not web links.
    • Steven Redlich
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2007
        On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Norma Segal wrote:

        > Catching up with mail. Sent to me on August 6 by
        > someone in Florida LP.
        > Norma
        > > >
        > > > Editorial in today's Wall Street Journal about
        > > > 9-term "libertarian" congressman.
        > > >
        > > > Ron Paul's Earmarks
        > > Term
        > > > Limits!
        > > > August 6, 2007; Page A12

        Hi Norma,

        Is there an action you are recommending RLC-Action take? We've already
        beat this to death on NYRLC-Outreach.

        The joys of crossposting and moderation.

        Thanks,
        Steve
        --
        Ron Paul for President