To be fair to Dr. Paul; re: WSJ misleading article

  • Norma Segal
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14 3:53 PM
      My dearest friend, another Libertarian supporting
      Rudy, as am I, defends Paul/earmark issue very well:
      According to M.E.:

      > It's not unconstitutional to request earmarks, just
      > to vote for the spending
      > bills they're included in. Since Paul votes against
      > the bills even when they
      > contain his (constituents) earmarks, he is still
      > abiding by his oath. He is
      > also serving his constituents. If the bill is going
      > to pass, at least he got
      > some of his district's money back.
      >
      > NOTE: the WSJ's article was misleading.
      > Ron Paul's earmarks for his district divert already
      > stolen from his state
      > Taxpayer Dollars back to his state.

      >Still for Liberty in Our Time.
      Norma Segal,
      Fair and only slightly unbalanced in Scarsdale

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • steven s.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14 6:19 PM
        Are you saying he votes AGAINST his own earmarks?

        Steve

        Norma Segal wrote:

        My dearest friend, another Libertarian supporting
        Rudy, as am I, defends Paul/earmark issue very well:
        According to M.E.:

        > It's not unconstitutional to request earmarks, just
        > to vote for the spending
        > bills they're included in. Since Paul votes against
        > the bills even when they
        > contain his (constituents) earmarks, he is still
        > abiding by his oath. He is
        > also serving his constituents. If the bill is going
        > to pass, at least he got
        > some of his district's money back.
        >
        > NOTE: the WSJ's article was misleading.
        > Ron Paul's earmarks for his district divert already
        > stolen from his state
        > Taxpayer Dollars back to his state.

        >Still for Liberty in Our Time.
        Norma Segal,
        Fair and only slightly unbalanced in Scarsdale

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
        http://search. yahoo.com/ search?fr= oni_on_mail& p=graduation+ gifts&cs= bz

      • Marianne Stebbins
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14 7:35 PM
          Yes, he votes against his own earmarks.  Ron Paul himself has said that.  Said it again in a Friday interview from Des Moines with someone whose name escapes me.

          Norma Segal wrote:

          My dearest friend, another Libertarian supporting
          Rudy, as am I, defends Paul/earmark issue very well:
          According to M.E.:

          > It's not unconstitutional to request earmarks, just
          > to vote for the spending
          > bills they're included in. Since Paul votes against
          > the bills even when they
          > contain his (constituents) earmarks, he is still
          > abiding by his oath. He is
          > also serving his constituents. If the bill is going
          > to pass, at least he got
          > some of his district's money back.
          >
          > NOTE: the WSJ's article was misleading.
          > Ron Paul's earmarks for his district divert already
          > stolen from his state
          > Taxpayer Dollars back to his state.

          >Still for Liberty in Our Time.
          Norma Segal,
          Fair and only slightly unbalanced in Scarsdale

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
          http://search. yahoo.com/ search?fr= oni_on_mail& p=graduation+ gifts&cs= bz

        • Randy Kleine
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14 7:58 PM
            Marianne,
            Jan Michaelson of WHO radio, Des Moines, interviewed Ron Paul.
            Randy Kleine, Milford, Ohio

            Norma Segal wrote:
            My dearest friend, another Libertarian supporting
            Rudy, as am I, defends Paul/earmark issue very well:
            According to M.E.:

            > It's not unconstitutional to request earmarks, just
            > to vote for the spending
            > bills they're included in. Since Paul votes against
            > the bills even when they
            > contain his (constituents) earmarks, he is still
            > abiding by his oath. He is
            > also serving his constituents. If the bill is going
            > to pass, at least he got
            > some of his district's money back.
            >
            > NOTE: the WSJ's article was misleading.
            > Ron Paul's earmarks for his district divert already
            > stolen from his state
            > Taxpayer Dollars back to his state.

            >Still for Liberty in Our Time.
            Norma Segal,
            Fair and only slightly unbalanced in Scarsdale

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
            http://search. yahoo.com/ search?fr= oni_on_mail& p=graduation+ gifts&cs= bz

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          • Steven Redlich
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14 8:01 PM
              On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, steven s. wrote:

              > Are you saying he votes AGAINST his own earmarks?

              Dr. Paul never votes for legislation unless the proposed measure is
              expressly authorized by the Constitution.

              This would include spending bills containing his earmarks.

              In addition:
              He has never voted to raise taxes.
              He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
              He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
              He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
              He has never taken a government-paid junket.
              He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

              He voted against the Patriot Act.
              He voted against regulating the Internet.
              He voted against the Iraq war.

              He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
              He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S.
              treasury every year.

              In his medical practice, he never took medicare or medicaid. His children
              went thru college (and some thru medical school) without using any
              Federally Guaranteed student loans.

              --
              Ron Paul for President
              The Taxpayers' Best Friend