Re: [RLC-Action] RLC Sig LIne for Ron Paul supporters (was Re: FW: YouTube Debate)

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
      Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers as I 'knew' everyone had seen me manning the RLC table. -- Steve

      I understand your point, as in not wanting to give the appearance of impropriety. All this integrity among RLCers, and look what we've got in the neo-con camp -- a Mitt Romney campaign staffer in Iowa running the Straw Poll as chief voting judge. I guess they don't see that as an appearance of impropriety; hell, it's a a major conflict of interest. So far, the mainstream media is still asleep at the switch, and will probably remain so even when the RINOs pull off the Great Iowa Ballot Box Switch.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 11, 2007
        Posted by: "Steven Burden" steve@...
        > ... Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers ...

            Of course, use your own judgment, but don't make
        yourself a slave to other people's false impressions.
        Maybe they've seen you at a local restaurant and jump
        to the conclusion that Ron Paul must endorse that
        restaurant ... or the restaurant endorsed Paul. Silly,
        but no moreso than assuming an RLC endorsement
        because you work for both the RLC and Ron Paul.

            The issue is intentional misrepresentation. If you
        write a letter to the editor endorsing Ron and use
        your RLC title as a sig, that is clearly intended to
        suggest that yours is an official statement of the
        RLC ... that you are acting on behalf of the org.
        But simply signing your name is not.

            I'll grant that the "sig line" title can be taken as a
        statement of your affiliation, leaving an implication
        of an official statement. For example, if I signed
        personal statements of my opinion with the title
        "Founder of the LP-CN", even if true, that would give
        the false impression that I am speaking on behalf
        of the LP-CN. To my mind, that's fraud.

            However, absent the title, it's just a "commercial
        plug" ... which is understood as such by almost
        everyone.

      • David Baumgardner
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 13, 2007
          I understand your concerns regarding impropriety and admire your integrity.
          However, part of being libertarian in philosphy is that you have the right
          to voice your opinion, despite the fact that it may not be the opinion of
          the group you represent. I see no conflict with distributing literature for
          a candidate you support, as long as you note that the RLC has not officially
          endorced that candidate, and as long as it is done away from the table you
          previously manned. One can be a RLC officer AND Ron Paul supporter (I
          actually think one SHOULD BE both) and support for one should not prevent
          you from campaining for the other at a different period in time or at a
          different location. To wit: If you man the RLC table from 1:00-3:00 pm,
          then you are free to hand out literature at any time prior or after that
          time, and in a different location, without conflict.

          At least that's my take on it.

          Dave Baumgardner, RLCWI

          >From: DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...>
          >To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [RLC-Action] RLC Sig LIne for Ron Paul supporters (was Re: FW:
          >YouTube Debate)
          >Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:54:36 -0500 (CDT)
          >
          > Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers as I 'knew'
          > everyone had seen me manning the RLC table. -- Steve
          >

          >I understand your point, as in not wanting to give the appearance of
          >impropriety. All this integrity among RLCers, and look what we've got in
          >the neo-con camp -- a Mitt Romney campaign staffer in Iowa running the
          >Straw Poll as chief voting judge. I guess they don't see that as an
          >appearance of impropriety; hell, it's a a major conflict of interest. So
          >far, the mainstream media is still asleep at the switch, and will probably
          >remain so even when the RINOs pull off the Great Iowa Ballot Box Switch.
          >
          >Doug Harrison
          >Minnesota
          >

          >--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
          >http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---
        • David Baumgardner
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 13, 2007
            I understand your concerns regarding impropriety and admire your integrity.
            However, part of being libertarian in philosphy is that you have the right
            to voice your opinion, despite the fact that it may not be the opinion of
            the group you represent. I see no conflict with distributing literature for
            a candidate you support, as long as you note that the RLC has not officially
            endorced that candidate, and as long as it is done away from the table you
            previously manned. One can be a RLC officer AND Ron Paul supporter (I
            actually think one SHOULD BE both) and support for one should not prevent
            you from campaining for the other at a different period in time or at a
            different location. To wit: If you man the RLC table from 1:00-3:00 pm,
            then you are free to hand out literature at any time prior or after that
            time, and in a different location, without conflict.

            At least that's my take on it.

            Dave Baumgardner, RLCWI

            >From: DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...>
            >To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [RLC-Action] RLC Sig LIne for Ron Paul supporters (was Re: FW:
            >YouTube Debate)
            >Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:54:36 -0500 (CDT)
            >
            > Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers as I 'knew'
            > everyone had seen me manning the RLC table. -- Steve
            >

            >I understand your point, as in not wanting to give the appearance of
            >impropriety. All this integrity among RLCers, and look what we've got in
            >the neo-con camp -- a Mitt Romney campaign staffer in Iowa running the
            >Straw Poll as chief voting judge. I guess they don't see that as an
            >appearance of impropriety; hell, it's a a major conflict of interest. So
            >far, the mainstream media is still asleep at the switch, and will probably
            >remain so even when the RINOs pull off the Great Iowa Ballot Box Switch.
            >
            >Doug Harrison
            >Minnesota
            >

            >--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
            >http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---
          • Barry Moore
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 15, 2007
              Hey y'all,

              Fred Thompson is wavering like quixotic drunk. I don't think he'll be joining the fray. He's not raising the money he expected to.

              I think an endorsement for Dr. Paul now is probably a good thing.

              Bear this in mind: if you want some additional exposure for RLC, now is the time to be "exposed". I truly believe we can absorb a great deal of new membership if the youth that currently support Dr. Paul see us as his ally. This can ALSO allow us to build on the future by both giving the new blood a baseline as well as training for future candidates and supporters.

              I'm not gonna wait on Fred "I'm not the President, but I play one on TV" Thompson.

              My 2 cents,

              Barry L. Moore
              The "Republic" of Texas

              Philip Blumel <pblumel@...> wrote:
              Doug, it's frustrating, but please don't sweat it.

              I just received a request from the Miami Ron Paul Meetup for 50 RLC
              brochures to distribute at the next Meetup there. I personally bring
              them to the Palm Beach and Broward (Fort Lauderdale area) Meetups. I
              also now sign all my Ron email with an RLC sig and we even have Ron-
              oriented stories on our state website.

              We don't need an endorsement to market the RLC to the Ron Paul
              brigades. Seeing us in the trenches with them is the most effective
              endorsement we have to offer.

              --pb

              --- In RLC-Action@yahoogro ups.com, DGHarrison <DGHarrison@ ...> wrote:

              > But, I won't be signing any Ron Paul advocacy with my RLC
              title ...
              > at least until there's an official RLC endorsement. I suspect
              that
              > is not likely until later in the year, when the field "shakes
              out"
              > and people have a better feel for "viability and
              credibility" . -- Bill

              > And, talking about "viability and credibility, " I still think it's
              > mistake not to endorse Ron Paul right now. What the heck good is
              > endorsing anyone after he's lost the nomination for GOP
              Presidential
              > Candidate? If Ron Paul was a shoo-in, he wouldn't need our
              endorsement!
              > I have to wonder about the RLC's "viability and credibility" if
              we're
              > just waiting for a sure winner to endorse. But that's just me. I
              guess I
              > don't understand the endorsement process.
              >
              > Unfortunately, I don't think the Minnesota ExCom will come
              together to
              > endorse Ron Paul anyway. I don't know what's up with them, but the
              last
              > time I discussed it with them, I got a pretty cold shoulder on
              endorsing
              > Paul. I really don't see any other candidate to pin our hopes on,
              so
              > whatever they're thinking is mind boggling to me.
              >
              > Doug Harrison
              > Minnesota
              >

              > --- http://USFamily. Net/dialup. html - $8.25/mo! --
              http://www.usfamily .net/dsl. html - $19.99/mo! ---