RLC Sig Line for Ron Paul supporters

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2007
      Doug, it's frustrating, but please don't sweat it.

      I just received a request from the Miami Ron Paul Meetup for 50 RLC
      brochures to distribute at the next Meetup there. I personally bring
      them to the Palm Beach and Broward (Fort Lauderdale area) Meetups. I
      also now sign all my Ron email with an RLC sig and we even have Ron-
      oriented stories on our state website.

      We don't need an endorsement to market the RLC to the Ron Paul
      brigades. Seeing us in the trenches with them is the most effective
      endorsement we have to offer.

      --pb

      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...> wrote:

      > But, I won't be signing any Ron Paul advocacy with my RLC
      title ...
      > at least until there's an official RLC endorsement. I suspect
      that
      > is not likely until later in the year, when the field "shakes
      out"
      > and people have a better feel for "viability and
      credibility". -- Bill

      > And, talking about "viability and credibility," I still think it's
      > mistake not to endorse Ron Paul right now. What the heck good is
      > endorsing anyone after he's lost the nomination for GOP
      Presidential
      > Candidate? If Ron Paul was a shoo-in, he wouldn't need our
      endorsement!
      > I have to wonder about the RLC's "viability and credibility" if
      we're
      > just waiting for a sure winner to endorse. But that's just me. I
      guess I
      > don't understand the endorsement process.
      >
      > Unfortunately, I don't think the Minnesota ExCom will come
      together to
      > endorse Ron Paul anyway. I don't know what's up with them, but the
      last
      > time I discussed it with them, I got a pretty cold shoulder on
      endorsing
      > Paul. I really don't see any other candidate to pin our hopes on,
      so
      > whatever they're thinking is mind boggling to me.
      >
      > Doug Harrison
      > Minnesota
      >

      > --- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
      http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---

    • Steven Burden
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
        Bill,

        Maybe I am 'old fashioned', but for some reason it just
        doesn't 'feel' right to me. It is nothing that should prevent anyone
        else from doing what they feel is right. As an "officer" of the FL
        RLC what I do seems to me to reflect on the organization--even if no
        one else but me knows it. Stupid, I know.

        Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers as I 'knew'
        everyone had seen me manning the RLC table.

        Everyone else can do what is right for them. I will be 1000% behind
        RP all the way.

        --Steve

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
          Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers as I 'knew' everyone had seen me manning the RLC table. -- Steve

          I understand your point, as in not wanting to give the appearance of impropriety. All this integrity among RLCers, and look what we've got in the neo-con camp -- a Mitt Romney campaign staffer in Iowa running the Straw Poll as chief voting judge. I guess they don't see that as an appearance of impropriety; hell, it's a a major conflict of interest. So far, the mainstream media is still asleep at the switch, and will probably remain so even when the RINOs pull off the Great Iowa Ballot Box Switch.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 11, 2007
            Posted by: "Steven Burden" steve@...
            > ... Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers ...

                Of course, use your own judgment, but don't make
            yourself a slave to other people's false impressions.
            Maybe they've seen you at a local restaurant and jump
            to the conclusion that Ron Paul must endorse that
            restaurant ... or the restaurant endorsed Paul. Silly,
            but no moreso than assuming an RLC endorsement
            because you work for both the RLC and Ron Paul.

                The issue is intentional misrepresentation. If you
            write a letter to the editor endorsing Ron and use
            your RLC title as a sig, that is clearly intended to
            suggest that yours is an official statement of the
            RLC ... that you are acting on behalf of the org.
            But simply signing your name is not.

                I'll grant that the "sig line" title can be taken as a
            statement of your affiliation, leaving an implication
            of an official statement. For example, if I signed
            personal statements of my opinion with the title
            "Founder of the LP-CN", even if true, that would give
            the false impression that I am speaking on behalf
            of the LP-CN. To my mind, that's fraud.

                However, absent the title, it's just a "commercial
            plug" ... which is understood as such by almost
            everyone.

          • David Baumgardner
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 13, 2007
              I understand your concerns regarding impropriety and admire your integrity.
              However, part of being libertarian in philosphy is that you have the right
              to voice your opinion, despite the fact that it may not be the opinion of
              the group you represent. I see no conflict with distributing literature for
              a candidate you support, as long as you note that the RLC has not officially
              endorced that candidate, and as long as it is done away from the table you
              previously manned. One can be a RLC officer AND Ron Paul supporter (I
              actually think one SHOULD BE both) and support for one should not prevent
              you from campaining for the other at a different period in time or at a
              different location. To wit: If you man the RLC table from 1:00-3:00 pm,
              then you are free to hand out literature at any time prior or after that
              time, and in a different location, without conflict.

              At least that's my take on it.

              Dave Baumgardner, RLCWI

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 13, 2007
                I understand your concerns regarding impropriety and admire your integrity.
                However, part of being libertarian in philosphy is that you have the right
                to voice your opinion, despite the fact that it may not be the opinion of
                the group you represent. I see no conflict with distributing literature for
                a candidate you support, as long as you note that the RLC has not officially
                endorced that candidate, and as long as it is done away from the table you
                previously manned. One can be a RLC officer AND Ron Paul supporter (I
                actually think one SHOULD BE both) and support for one should not prevent
                you from campaining for the other at a different period in time or at a
                different location. To wit: If you man the RLC table from 1:00-3:00 pm,
                then you are free to hand out literature at any time prior or after that
                time, and in a different location, without conflict.

                At least that's my take on it.

                Dave Baumgardner, RLCWI

                >From: DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...>
                >To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [RLC-Action] RLC Sig LIne for Ron Paul supporters (was Re: FW:
                >YouTube Debate)
                >Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:54:36 -0500 (CDT)
                >
                > Even at the YRNC, I could not hand out Ron Paul Flyers as I 'knew'
                > everyone had seen me manning the RLC table. -- Steve
                >

                >I understand your point, as in not wanting to give the appearance of
                >impropriety. All this integrity among RLCers, and look what we've got in
                >the neo-con camp -- a Mitt Romney campaign staffer in Iowa running the
                >Straw Poll as chief voting judge. I guess they don't see that as an
                >appearance of impropriety; hell, it's a a major conflict of interest. So
                >far, the mainstream media is still asleep at the switch, and will probably
                >remain so even when the RINOs pull off the Great Iowa Ballot Box Switch.
                >
                >Doug Harrison
                >Minnesota
                >

                >--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
                >http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---
              • Barry Moore
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 15, 2007
                  Hey y'all,

                  Fred Thompson is wavering like quixotic drunk. I don't think he'll be joining the fray. He's not raising the money he expected to.

                  I think an endorsement for Dr. Paul now is probably a good thing.

                  Bear this in mind: if you want some additional exposure for RLC, now is the time to be "exposed". I truly believe we can absorb a great deal of new membership if the youth that currently support Dr. Paul see us as his ally. This can ALSO allow us to build on the future by both giving the new blood a baseline as well as training for future candidates and supporters.

                  I'm not gonna wait on Fred "I'm not the President, but I play one on TV" Thompson.

                  My 2 cents,

                  Barry L. Moore
                  The "Republic" of Texas

                  Got a little couch potato?