Democratic Spending was Topics for discussion

  • Steve Redlich
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
      One thing I've noticed this election cycle was very heavy spending
      by the left to defeat pro small government congressional candidates.

      Whether it's Vernon Robinson, Herman Cain or Pat Toomey in the primaries,
      or Tom Coburn, Jim Demint and Tom Tancredo in the general, left leaning
      forces are spending millions to defeat candidates who want to reduce
      the size of government.

      They know our candidates are their biggest threat and have spent
      accordingly.

      I think we need to concentrate on getting good congressional and senate
      candidates into office in '06, and countering the democrat's money, and
      not as much on the President's Race.

      Thanks,
      Steve Redlich
    • John Pankratz
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
        AMEN! Right now our primary focus should be on '06.
        .............. jp .................

        Steve Redlich wrote:

        >One thing I've noticed this election cycle was very heavy spending
        >by the left to defeat pro small government congressional candidates.
        >
        >Whether it's Vernon Robinson, Herman Cain or Pat Toomey in the primaries,
        >or Tom Coburn, Jim Demint and Tom Tancredo in the general, left leaning
        >forces are spending millions to defeat candidates who want to reduce
        >the size of government.
        >
        >They know our candidates are their biggest threat and have spent
        >accordingly.
        >
        >I think we need to concentrate on getting good congressional and senate
        >candidates into office in '06, and countering the democrat's money, and
        >not as much on the President's Race.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Steve Redlich
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Barry Moore
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
          That's pretty good chit, Guy.

          Guy McLendon <guy@...> wrote:
          I've just sent an email to prospect David Thibodaux who is currently a candidate for US Congress in LA #7.  He has given me multiple phone numbers, and has asked me to call him.  I hope to meet him again in person this coming Wednesday.

          Regarding general libertarian movement cooperation, please note this:  if not for the Libertarian Party of LA, I would not have met this person.

          How's that for chit-chat?

          Guy McLendon
          RLC Louisiana Contact

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Guy McLendon

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
              Philip,

              If you have viewed the home page of RLC-National
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rlc-national/files/> you will find
              "files" on the left side. Under "files" you will find under "brochures"
              a document created by John Reed. That tri-fold brochure is the one that
              was created for RLCTX, and it has been the one that we are pointed to
              each month as a source for our own downloading and printing. I have
              suggested some improvements to make it more of a "National" brochure.
              I'm waiting for feedback from John Reed and/or Bill Westmiller, which
              I'm sure they're just not able to do right now due to the closeness of
              the election.

              With John or Bill's approval, I will send a copy of my proposed revision
              via e-mail, using MS Publisher (which offers "wizards" for all sorts of
              business forms, newsletters, and fliers, and which allows you to
              download onto a floppy that can be brought to a printer for a complete
              and accurate rendering). We have discussed the brochure on the
              RLC-National discussion group, though I think I might have made a couple
              more improvements based on Bill's suggestions since the last copy I send
              to John & Bill. The RLC-National discussion group is a forum for elected
              officials in state and national RLC offices, so I don't know how many
              here have direct access to those archives. If you can't access those
              archives, let me know, and I can send you a cut and paste of the
              relevant descriptions of the currently proposed replacement tri-fold
              brochure.

              I agree with you (and Jeff Palmer) 100% that we must focus on
              infrastructure, organization, and membership. Many of you live in states
              that have a State Chapter. We in Minnesota are still trying to get one
              off the ground. It is a tough time for it, due to the frenetic pace of
              the election. I hope it gets easier after the election. If we remain too
              few in number, we are a whisper, but if we can expand our membership,
              our voice will be more broadly heard. A growth in membership not only
              proves that we have a large following, but also allows us to pool
              resources to apply toward funding grants to various worthy candidates.
              If we can't get the money to the candidates, they won't see any
              particular need to hear us, let alone heed us. So, membership drives
              ought to be our single most important activity at the grassroots level.
              I have added a few comments to your message below, if you care to scan
              them now.

              John and Bill, may I disseminate the latest design for the tri-fold
              brochure? At least we may get more comments, especially from any well
              honed publicists out there.

              Doug Harrison

              (My further comments appear alongside the original message below.)

              Philip Blumel wrote:

              > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Palmer" <jap@h...> wrote:
              > >> It seems to me, the top priority must be building membership -
              > otherwise, our endorsements are valueless. To that end, the *top*
              > priority must be reestablishing a regular newsletter.<<
              >
              > Hear, hear. The national RLC must focus its limited resources on the
              > infrastructure needed for the organization to function.
              >
              > I would offer the following as priorities. Maybe one excom member
              > can be put in charge of each -- not necessarily doing it, but being
              > utlimately responsible that it get done. (I have no idea if that is
              > a realistic suggestion.)
              >
              > 1) Newsletter. Even an e-newsletter is acceptable if it is regular
              > both in frequency and format. In Florida, we send out a quarterly e-
              > newsletter which we archive on our website (www.rlcfl.org). National
              > could do this also as a start. I do not recommend that this be done
              > by committee but rather by one competent individual with excom
              > approval of the final product.

              The eNewsletter must be regularly updated, and I would suggest once
              weekly during normal, non election years, and daily during election
              years. I have found little use for Quarterly Newsletters, because
              information often goes stale, even from the likes of my own city hall. I
              can tell you from my own personal experience that I soon lose interest
              in websites and newsletters that don't offer something new often. I
              can't be alone is this. Also, the Internet is dynamic! Let's make use of
              that medium to its full potential. Even if it is nothing more than a
              readership poll on various issues, or a quiz to highlight recent
              political events.

              And I agree with you about the need for an Editor in Chief to run the
              show. We should have "columns" written by our trusted members to
              illuminate the issues from the liberty perspective. These articles
              should appear regularly, but they could be presented on a rotating
              basis, to give the writers a chance to think about a topic and take the
              time needed to research it and prepare a thorough argument to convince
              readers. The Editor in Chief must have the authority to request or make
              revisions to correct grammatical or typographical errors (such errors
              are usually legion and depreciate the value of a publication
              significantly) and to ensure variety of contemporary, relevant issues
              for the readers.

              I also suggest that prior to publication of each newsletter, a
              proofreader be assigned to ferret out all the mistakes prior to posting.
              WARNING: A spell-check program is NOT a replacement for a real
              proofreader! While it should be the author's responsibility to check
              that all his references are accurate (hyper links are not broken,
              people's names are spelled correctly, telephone numbers and addresses
              are correct, etc.), a proofreader can easily double check that all links
              work properly. There is no excuse for providing bad links. If a good
              link goes bad because the target organization changes it, well, that
              might be worth a good follow up story -- if they're trying to hide from
              the public.

              Do you have a background in editing, publishing, or journalism? Perhaps
              we should do a survey to see what talent we actually have among our members.

              > 2) We also need a very high quality (full color, glossy) mass
              > produced tri-fold brochure with a membership form.

              I think I covered that in my opening statement well enough. I will be
              glad to provide more details to anyone asking.

              > 3) Maintain the database and send renewal notices.

              This is crucial. We not only have to increase our membership numbers, we
              need to retain members! There is always a certain amount of turnover in
              any membership -- people lose interest, life's challenges change, etc.
              -- but we sure don't need to lose members due to apathy on our part.
              Renewal notices don't necessarily have to be mailed out (saving us
              postage), but reminders are almost always required by any service
              provider or dues collecting organization.

              > 4) Maintain the national website.

              Again. The Internet is dynamic. The national website needs to be a place
              for people to go to daily to find new information. It could also include
              a "blog," something we talked about earlier on another group. The
              website is, in this day and age, our main office and showroom. People
              who come to visit expect to be both informed and entertained. If they
              get neither, they'll move on and never give the RLC another thought.

              > 5) Consistently publish the Liberty Index.

              I think this is being done already. I've not been around long enough to
              see how this thing really works, but I am doing my homework.

              > 6) Send mailings to generate leads and new members and contributors.

              This is best done from State Chapters, I think. That's where the leads
              will be generated, through booths at State and County Fairs,
              Conventions, etc. Of course, leads generated from the National Website
              will have to be followed up from there.

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                > From: "Philip Blumel" <philip.blumel@...>
                > I would offer the following as priorities. Maybe one excom member
                > can be put in charge of each ...

                I like Phil's list, with a few revisions. Let's organize the discussion
                under the below individual "SUBJECT:" lines. I have comments and
                background on each, but the general problem I've encountered is that
                everyone knows what "WE" should do, but few are able or willing to
                take on a task and pursue it consistently and vigorously. That's a
                hazard in any all-volunteer organization. Everybody "has a life".
                My top priority has always been the national newsletter, but I
                have ten other jobs that *have to be done now* and little assistance
                in the basic burdens. Therefore, my inclination is to do something
                "evil": add financial incentives. We barely have enough to mail one
                newsletter to all 8,000 people in our database, but we do have the
                resources to offer reasonable compensation to get jobs done. The
                only alternative is disincentive: my bitching and moaning that some
                designated person isn't doing the job. That doesn't work for me.
                With about $4,000 in the bank, I have no problem designating
                reimbursement (beyond expenses) for some of the most important
                tasks. In that context, fundraising efforts get priority ... they make
                it possible to fund and reward other projects.
                Of course, I don't want to discourage true devotion and willingness
                to commit to individual tasks without compensation. I just don't trust
                that motivation to establish a personal priority in RLC projects.
                Comments welcome.

                Membership Communications
                SUBJECT: Newsletter Editing and Production
                SUBJECT: Membership maintenance and solicitation
                SUBJECT: Web Services for Members
                SUBJECT: Special Conventions & Events

                Public Communications
                SUBJECT: Website(s)
                SUBJECT: eNews and eGroups
                SUBJECT: Printed Literature
                SUBJECT: Liberty Index
                SUBJECT: Coalition Building

                Fundraising
                SUBJECT: Member solicitation
                SUBJECT: List Exchanges
                SUBJECT: Commissioned Fundraising
                SUBJECT: PAC Fundraising

                Activist Support
                SUBJECT: State Chartering
                SUBJECT: Candidate Review
                SUBJECT: RLC/GOP Events
                SUBJECT: Party Organization/Infiltration
              • John Pankratz
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                  An article on communicating libertarian values to the general population.
                  Here's a clue: It ain't easy.

                  http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html
                • Bruno Behrend
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                    JP wrote:
                    Here's a clue: It ain't easy.

                    Bruno writes:

                    Especially if you promote a whackjob like Rockwell  ;-)

                    Here is the close...

                    First, reject everything you mistakenly believe in, 2nd, accept all my extreme statements, 3rd, storm the barricades.

                    "not easy" indeed.
                  • Guy McLendon
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 23, 2004
                      Moderator,

                      Please stop this chit-chat crap now.

                      This group is intended for working messages only.

                      GM

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 23, 2004
                        >An article on communicating libertarian values to the general population.
                        >Here's a clue: It ain't easy.
                        >
                        ><http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html>http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html

                        Rarely have I been exposed to greater idiocy than this article. It
                        misses the fundamental point of the entire election choice for
                        conservative christians. Regardless of what flaws Bush may or may
                        not have, exactly who else are they going to vote for? They're in
                        the same difficult situation as we RLC folks are. We may not like
                        Bush's record on the Drug War or Medicaire or the Patriot Act, but we
                        KNOW Kerry would be worse, so we bite the bullet and vote for Bush.

                        Stop by my blog:
                        http://www.torchofliberty.com