The Danger of Endorsements

  • Norma Segal
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2007
      My RLC purpose here in Westchester County, New York
      was to "infiltrate" the Republican Party and raise
      awareness in my neighbors as to the blessings of
      liberty. I attend Republican events, hold office in my
      town committee and the county women's group and, as
      area and district leader, I carry nominating petitions
      and chat up the locals. They know to come to me for
      "Cutting Back City Hall" solutions to local problems.
      Many now very generously contribute to and attend
      speaker events at Cato and FEE. And so: socially,
      cordially, with a glass of red wine in the hand, they
      are learning of Ayn Rand, von Mises, Bastiat, Hayek,
      AND RON PAUL, who spoke of education choice at FEE.
      A major national RLC "in your face" candidate
      endorsement would serve little purpose, be viewed as
      adversarial and be counter productive to what I
      thought our original goal was, especially when the
      state Republican org. has already endorsed someone
      else.
      I say let us each work as Republican-Libertarian
      individuals for the candidates of our choosing, and
      avoid the big sudden moves that will scare the lovely
      birds and nice friendly squirrels away.
      Still for Liberty in Our Time,
      Norma Segal

    • Joe Liberty
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11, 2007
        I attend Republican events, carry nominating petions, and chat up the locals here in neaby Orange County.  When my neighbors see my in my "Ron Paul for President regalia" they often tell me they saw him in the debates and like what they heard.  I use that as an opportunity to talk about RLC, emphasizing the fact that he once chaired our organization and that we endorsed his congressional races.  Endorsing Ron Paul for President will help me recruit for RLC, besides helping support the candidate who best embodies our principles.

        My RLC purpose here in Westchester County, New York
        was to "infiltrate" the Republican Party and raise
        awareness in my neighbors as to the blessings of
        liberty. II attend Republican events, hold office in my
[...]

        .

      • Toby Nixon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 11, 2007
          I don't chime in here very often, but I have to say that I agree with Norma
          on this issue. I'm making progress amongst the Republican inner circle and
          grassroots in Washington state. People don't cringe at the word
          "libertarian" anymore. They increasingly recognize that for the most part
          what they have in common is that each of them, on the issue that is most
          important to them, just wants to be left alone. There's not a whole lot to
          be gained right now by openly endorsing Dr. Paul, if it marginalizes us and
          locks us out of trying to influence the other candidates' positions on
          individual issues.

          -- Toby
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 11, 2007
            A major national RLC "in your face" candidate endorsement would serve little purpose, be viewed as adversarial and be counter productive to what I thought our original goal was, especially when the state Republican org. has already endorsed someone else. I say let us each work as Republican-Libertarian individuals for the candidates of our choosing, and avoid the big sudden moves that will scare the lovely birds and nice friendly squirrels away. Still for Liberty in Our Time, Norma Segal

            I never thought of an endorsement as an "in your face" event. How is endorsing a Republican "in your face?" Surely, only one of the 10 candidates is going to be blessed with the GOP's nomination for president, does that mean none of the other nine candidates should accept endorsements from their respective supporters? Someone please explain what good an endorsement does if you wait until the nomination has been publicized.

            If a caucus is something that gets in the party's face, and if getting in the party's face is a bad thing, then why bother with a caucus at all? It seems that I am being advised to shed my RLC mantle and melt back into the role of being just another anonymous voter. I guess I shouldn't bother sticking a Ron Paul sign in my yard, either -- after all, I sure don't want to anger any GOP hacks. I should just wait for Election Day and go vote my conscience. No, wait, not my conscience, I'm just supposed to vote for the person my party serves up to me. Yikes!

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 11, 2007
              I don't chime in here very often, but I have to say that I agree with Norma on this issue. I'm making progress amongst the Republican inner circle and grassroots in Washington state. People don't cringe at the word "libertarian" anymore. They increasingly recognize that for the most part what they have in common is that each of them, on the issue that is most important to them, just wants to be left alone. There's not a whole lot to be gained right now by openly endorsing Dr. Paul, if it marginalizes us and locks us out of trying to influence the other candidates' positions on individual issues. -- Toby

              Okay. So let's get rid of the nuisance of endorsement procedures within the RLC. Sheesh.

            • Dan McGuire
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
                Sorry, I can't agree with this. You're making Republican friends,
                they are becoming liberty-minded, but they want to tell you who you
                should select for President? And will be offended if you choose
                someone else? Please!

                Maybe New Hampshire is unique, but similar to Norma, I'm on the
                Republican State Committee and am pretty well-known to other activist
                Republicans in the state. The RLCNH is sharing an office with
                conservatives right across the street from the State House. I've had
                more than one conservative come to me asking where they can get Ron
                Paul bumper stickers. [By the way, the free-market ones made by the
                www.ronpaulhq.com folks are much more attractive than the official
                stickers.]

                It's understood that everyone has their presidential favorites. I
                know people in the Giuliani, McCain, Romney, Tancredo, Tommy Thompson,
                Fred Thompson, Cox, and Hunter campaigns. Our state party bylaws
                forbid officers from getting involved in primaries for exactly this
                reason.

                Dan

                --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Norma Segal <norma4ny@...> wrote:

                > My RLC purpose here in Westchester County, New York
                > was to "infiltrate" the Republican Party and raise
                > awareness in my neighbors as to the blessings of
                > liberty. I attend Republican events, hold office in my
                > town committee and the county women's group and, as
                > area and district leader, I carry nominating petitions
                > and chat up the locals. They know to come to me for
                > "Cutting Back City Hall" solutions to local problems.
                > Many now very generously contribute to and attend
                > speaker events at Cato and FEE. And so: socially,
                > cordially, with a glass of red wine in the hand, they
                > are learning of Ayn Rand, von Mises, Bastiat, Hayek,
                > AND RON PAUL, who spoke of education choice at FEE.
                > A major national RLC "in your face" candidate
                > endorsement would serve little purpose, be viewed as
                > adversarial and be counter productive to what I
                > thought our original goal was, especially when the
                > state Republican org. has already endorsed someone
                > else.
                > I say let us each work as Republican-Libertarian
                > individuals for the candidates of our choosing, and
                > avoid the big sudden moves that will scare the lovely
                > birds and nice friendly squirrels away.
                > Still for Liberty in Our Time,
                > Norma Segal

                today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

              • Michael Zimny
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
                  Horowitz, Segal, etal. It's the American Jewish lobby that wants
                  America militarily engaged in the Middle East.

                  So they despise Ron Paul and anyone else that speaks of dis-engagement.

                  It's amazing to me (the cynicism)that after the holocast and the US of
                  A's support of Israel for the past 60 years that the American Jewish
                  Lobby would weaken the USA by having us fight a tar baby in the Middle
                  East. And they would put their money on someone like the Bush family
                  who financially supported Hitler in 1930's Germany (per Kevin Phillips
                  , "American Dynasty").

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
                    Michael,

                    You're making some profound assumptions about people, painting with a rather broad brush, and way off topic for this thread.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        mailto:RLC-Action-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        mailto:RLC-Action-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Guy McLendon

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007

                        Let me chime in as well.

                        If RLC fails to endorse Ron Paul, then please take my name off your national website.  I’d be shamed to have my name associated with a bunch of cowards.

                        Recall Dante’s Inferno?

                        The hottest places in Hades are reserved for those who lived through a time of moral crisis, and maintained their neutrality.

                        Later,

                        Guy McLendon

                        Chair HCLP

                        Posted by: "Toby Nixon" toby@...   tobylnixon

                        Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:03 am (PST)

                        I don't chime in here very often, but I have to say that I agree with Norma
                        on this issue. I'm making progress amongst the Republican inner circle and
                        grassroots in Washington state. People don't cringe at the word
                        "libertarian" anymore. They increasingly recognize that for the most part
                        what they have in common is that each of them, on the issue that is most
                        important to them, just wants to be left alone. There's not a whole lot to
                        be gained right now by openly endorsing Dr. Paul, if it marginalizes us and
                        locks us out of trying to influence the other candidates' positions on
                        individual issues.

                        -- Toby

                      • Marianne Stebbins
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
                          Sounds like a Liberty Subcaucus of the Republican Liberty Caucus is needed for those of us who support, well, liberty.

                          Marianne Stebbins
                          Excelsior MN
                          www.ronpaul2008.com

                          If RLC fails to endorse Ron Paul, then please take my name off your national website.  I’d be shamed to have my name associated with a bunch of cowards.

                          Recall Dante’s Inferno?

                          The hottest places in Hades are reserved for those who lived through a time of moral crisis, and maintained their neutrality.

                          Later,

                          Guy McLendon

                          Chair HCLP

                          Posted by: "Toby Nixon" toby@tobynixon. com   tobylnixon

                          Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:03 am (PST)

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
                            I'll bet you're a Christian.

                            Have you ever heard the phrase, "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto
                            you"?

                            Considering that powers & privileges of government flow from the natural
                            rights of individuals, how do you explain your ethical disconnect? Why do
                            you presume to give the President dictatorial power to pursue non-declared
                            wars ... meanwhile, you're violating Christian ethics.

                            Guy McLendon
                            Not-A-Coward

                            > If RLC fails to endorse Ron Paul, then please take my name off your
                            > national
                            > website. I'd be shamed to have my name associated with a bunch of
                            > cowards.

                            COWARDS?

                            Ron Paul is the COWARD. He is against fighting our enemy. He wants to
                            run away with his tail between his leg.

                            --
                            --------
                            DJ Entropy

                            "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
                            --William Penn
                          • AULibertarians@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007
                              This is the "action" list-serve.  What have you done lately for liberty?

                              Aaron

                              "In the lead up to the Iraq war and its later conduct, I saw at a
                              minimum true dereliction, negligence and irresponsibility ... at
                              worse, lying, incompetence and corruption." -- General Anthony
                              Zinni (ret.), former Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Central Command

                              See what's free at AOL.com.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 13, 2007
                                [RLC-Action] Re: The Danger of Endorsements
                                If RLC fails to endorse Ron Paul, then please take my name off your national website.  I'd be shamed to have my name associated with a bunch of cowards.

                                Guy, last I checked (see below) you were chairman of the Harris County Libertarian Party.  Perhaps you should have the guts to leave the LP behind and join the RLC wholeheartedly so we can take you more seriously.

                                Chair HCLP

                                --

                                Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraft.com
                                Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarokpress.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 13, 2007
                                  Looks like I've been demoted from "international banker" (a la Ron
                                  Paul's gold standard newsletters of the 80's)
                                  Conspiratorially yours,
                                  Norma Segal, cute card carrier, *A.J.L.
                                  *American Jewish Lobby

                                  --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Zimny" <rlcmikey@...>