Re: [RLC-Action] RE: [SPAM] [RLC-National] RLC Joke

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2007
      No, I don't think 'nuff has been said. If the RLC is not going to endorse a presidential candidate unless all the planets are in exact alignment on an odd numbered date that falls on a Thursday in a year following a Vikings Super Bowl win, or some other nearly impossible concurrence of minds and events, then I'd like to suggest that endorsements be stricken from RLC processes and procedures. If we must have so much fruitless gnashing of the teeth and wringing of the hands over the endorsement of a man like Ron Paul, then it seems to me that the RLC ought not to bother itself at all with such things as endorsing candidates. Let us instead just pursue liberty via all other means and save ourselves the anguish and embarrassment of either endorsing the wrong candidate or failing to endorse the right one. I apologize to all for pushing the idea that Ron Paul is worthy of endorsement by the RLC. I guess we shall have to sit back and watch others endorse Dr. Paul, while we wait for the polls to open in November 2008.

      I suppose others have endorsed Dr. Paul, but I am only aware of these at the moment:
      Libertarian Badnarik endorses Ron Paul
      United Republicans of California (UROC) endorses Ron Paul

      Carl Graham wrote:

      Bill,

      This response reinforces my confidence in the RLC and its purpose.

      ‘nuff said…Carl

      Carl Graham

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
        Posted by: "DGHarrison" DGHarrison@...
        > ... I'd like to suggest that endorsements be stricken from
        > RLC processes and procedures.

        In the sense of committing RLC resources to any federal
        campaign, the provision has been stricken "de jure": it's a
        federal crime.

        In the sense of expressing organizational association
        with a particular candidate, the rule is no impediment: it
        is only the sentiments of RLC officers and members that
        stand in the way. I understand - and share - your basic
        frustration, but I also recognize that the organization is
        what the members chose to make of it ... and I have to
        respect the opinions of other officers and members.

        > .. Let us instead just pursue liberty via all other means
        > and save ourselves the anguish and embarrassment ...

        With or without an official endorsement, RLC charters,
        officers, and members will still decide, irrespective of any
        endorsement, what is the best method of pursuing liberty.
        If the fact is that there's dissent on an endorsement, that
        does NOT preclude the hundreds of other methods and
        means of advancing liberty ... which are always open to
        every RLC member.

        > I guess we shall have to sit back and watch others
        > endorse Dr. Paul ...

        Nothing precludes any RLC officer or member from
        personally endorsing Ron Paul, as long as it doesn't
        imply an official organizational position. I've made it
        perfectly clear that *I* endorse Ron - just as Michael
        Badnarik has done - and hopefully may others will do.

        Remember that Ronald Reagan only had a handful
        of Congressional endorsements (including Ron) in his
        first Presidential campaign. I don't think there are very
        many voters who make their decisions based on any
        other personal (or organizational) endorsements. I
        really doubt that my personal endorsement will be the
        sole motivation of other RLC members to support Ron,
        nor will an official RLC endorsement change anyone's
        mind about the wisest course.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
          I see your point, Bill. I'm just tired of evading the question, "So, how come the 'Ron Paul wing of the Republican Party' hasn't endorsed Ron Paul?" In the minds of some, a failure to endorse equates to a measure of scorn. I keep thinking of that saying, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own relatives, and in his own house." It would be so much easier if I could just tell the doubters that the RLC doesn't do endorsements.

        • DrTomStevens@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
            In a message dated 6/11/2007 4:31:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, westmiller@... writes:
            Nothing precludes any RLC officer or member from
            personally endorsing Ron Paul, as long as it doesn't
            imply an official organizational position. I've made it
            perfectly clear that *I* endorse Ron - just as Michael
            Badnarik has done - and hopefully may others will do.
            ==========
            They can go further if they choose. I endorse Ron Paul, so says Jake Frost, Chair, RLC Alabama.

            TRS

            See what's free at AOL.com.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2007
              Posted by: "DGHarrison" DGHarrison@...
              > I'm just tired of evading the question, "So, how come the
              > 'Ron Paul wing of the Republican Party' hasn't endorsed
              > Ron Paul?"

              Although that slogan is prominently used by the RLC
              Texas organization (with permission), no individual is the
              sole definition of any organization ... even if they are, in
              effect, the entire organization (eg: Nader = Green).

              The reality is that Ron Paul does not agree with the
              entire RLC Statement, nor does he endorse candidates
              who are endorsed by the RLC (at least not automatically).
              So, the answer I would give:
              "Because Ron Paul is not the RLC and many RLC
              members believe there are higher priorities than any
              single Presidential campaign."

              That doesn't imply that any members "scorn" the
              Ron Paul effort, only that some - while respecting the
              value of his campaign - see other avenues as more
              beneficial to the pursuit of liberty.