Re: Ron Paul

  • rlcmcallen
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
      Do you really think that fewer than 20 posts in a full week
      constitutes "too many talkers?" Do you realize how few there would be
      without the discussion you complain about? Does this mean that in
      reality there are hardly any "doers" who care to post here? If so, why?

      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Blumel" <pblumel@...> wrote:

      > Chuck, because this group is not moderated sufficiently, we have too
      > many talkers and this, as you know, chases away the doers. But we
      > are doers down here in Florida. For one thing, we are using the RLC
      > network in Florida to support Ron. For instance, we are using our
      > extensive database to promote the 18 Ron Paul Meetups in the state
      > and our booth at the Young Republicans National Convention (1,000
      > expected) will be home base for Ron Paul campaigners next month. Ron
      > Paul has been invited to the event but has not yet accepted
      > (FreedomFest is the same weekend). Plus, we will be doing some Ron
      > fundraisers in Florida, as we have in the past for his Congressional
      > campaigns. Don't worry, we're on the case.
      >
      > -- Philip Blumel
      >

      > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Moulton" <chuck@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Instead of posting lots of redundant Ron Paul links, why doesn't
      > > someone take the initiative and pro-actively lobby RLC state
      > > affiliates to recommend the endorsement of Ron Paul to the RLC
      > > national committee?
      > >
      > > There aren't many RLC affiliates. It seems trivial to get a list
      > of
      > > affiliates and contact information for the members (e-groups, email
      > > addresses, phone numbers, and addresses), then call them up on the
      > > phone and encourage them to recommend endorsement. I can't do it
      > > myself because of my position in the LP (I am an RLC monthly
      > pledger,
      > > but not a registered Republican).
      > >
      > > The more momentum former RLC national chair Ron Paul gets, the more
      > > embarassing it is that the RLC has not endorsed him. If the RLC
      > > endorses him too late in the game it will just be seen as waiting
      > > see the way the wind blows and jumping on the bandwagon.
      > >
      > > Some RLC members seem to be interested in endorsing the eventual
      > > winner or not offending the eventual winner. My understanding of
      > the
      > > RLC was that they would endorse whoever the most libertarian
      > candidate
      > > was in the Republican primary (if they endorse anyone). If you
      > just
      > > want to rubber stamp whoever the leading Republican is, you might
      > as
      > > well take the "Liberty" out of the "Republican Liberty Caucus"
      > name.
      > >
      > > Failure to endorse Ron Paul would make the RLC a joke in my
      > opinion.
      > >
      > > Is anyone here a doer? Or are you all talkers?
      > >
      > > -Chuck Moulton

    • Steven Burden
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
        Chuck,

        I truly respect your consistent dedication to liberty, but I gotta
        call you on this one.

        I could ask you the same question about the LPNC. Just because Ron
        Paul is running a a Republican, shouldn't stop you. It is the
        principle, right? We all know the LP is the Party of Principle. Hell,
        a good number of us are or were LP'ers.

        Just as the LP does not vote as a block, neither do we. We look,
        judge, think, and discuss. Some--with good reason--are not sure about
        RP. They have that right, and they would not be good citizens it they
        didn't weigh the choices.

        From what I can tell, most are concerned about the implications of
        Ron Paul's non-interventionist stance on the war in Iraq, or the war
        on terror in general. Few would disagree we are in a nasty place
        right now. The best way to get out of it is a valid point of
        discussion and disagreement.

        I support RP, but we cannot rush this, as a single state which
        abstains voids any endorsement.

        I myself prefer not to rush to failure when we have nearly 18 months
        to the election.

        In Liberty,

        --Steve

        wrote:

        > Chuck, because this group is not moderated sufficiently, we have
        too
        > many talkers and this, as you know, chases away the doers. But we
        > are doers down here in Florida. For one thing, we are using the RLC
        > network in Florida to support Ron. For instance, we are using our
        > extensive database to promote the 18 Ron Paul Meetups in the state
        > and our booth at the Young Republicans National Convention (1,000
        > expected) will be home base for Ron Paul campaigners next month.
        Ron
        > Paul has been invited to the event but has not yet accepted
        > (FreedomFest is the same weekend). Plus, we will be doing some Ron
        > fundraisers in Florida, as we have in the past for his
        Congressional
        > campaigns. Don't worry, we're on the case.
        >
        > -- Philip Blumel
        >

        > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Moulton" <chuck@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Instead of posting lots of redundant Ron Paul links, why doesn't
        > > someone take the initiative and pro-actively lobby RLC state
        > > affiliates to recommend the endorsement of Ron Paul to the RLC
        > > national committee?
        > >
        > > There aren't many RLC affiliates. It seems trivial to get a list
        > of
        > > affiliates and contact information for the members (e-groups,
        email
        > > addresses, phone numbers, and addresses), then call them up on the
        > > phone and encourage them to recommend endorsement. I can't do it
        > > myself because of my position in the LP (I am an RLC monthly
        > pledger,
        > > but not a registered Republican).
        > >
        > > The more momentum former RLC national chair Ron Paul gets, the
        more
        > > embarassing it is that the RLC has not endorsed him. If the RLC
        > > endorses him too late in the game it will just be seen as waiting
        > > see the way the wind blows and jumping on the bandwagon.
        > >
        > > Some RLC members seem to be interested in endorsing the eventual
        > > winner or not offending the eventual winner. My understanding of
        > the
        > > RLC was that they would endorse whoever the most libertarian
        > candidate
        > > was in the Republican primary (if they endorse anyone). If you
        > just
        > > want to rubber stamp whoever the leading Republican is, you might
        > as
        > > well take the "Liberty" out of the "Republican Liberty Caucus"
        > name.
        > >
        > > Failure to endorse Ron Paul would make the RLC a joke in my
        > opinion.
        > >
        > > Is anyone here a doer? Or are you all talkers?
        > >
        > > -Chuck Moulton

      • Guy McLendon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 9, 2007

          Mr. Moulton,

          I agree the RLC is a joke if they fail to endorse Ron Paul.  In fact, they’ll be worse than a joke … Among the RP candidates, the choice is clear.  If they fail to endorse Ron, and soon, I’ll have to wonder whether they even support Liberty .

          Guy McLendon

          Chair Harris County LP

          Houston, Texas

          > > Failure to endorse Ron Paul would make the RLC a joke in my

          > opinion.
          > >
          > > Is anyone here a doer? Or are you all talkers?
          > >
          > > -Chuck Moulton
          style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
            [RLC-Action] Re: Ron Paul
            I agree the RLC is a joke if they fail to endorse Ron Paul.  In fact, they'll be worse than a joke Š Among the RP candidates, the choice is clear.  If they fail to endorse Ron, and soon, I'll have to wonder whether they even support Liberty.

            Are you familiar with the rules of the RLC as far as endorsing a candidate?  It's not the easiest thing to accomplish.  Rather like the old Polish Duma doing anything.

            There ARE people who are uncomfortable with Paul's stand on church/state separation and several other issues.

            Guy McLendon
            Chair Harris County LP

            So, is the LP going to endorse Paul this year, or are they going to nominate their own candidate?

            Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraft.com
            Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarokpress.com
            Customer Support: 1-800-797-8973
          • John Conway
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                  Small potatoes.  Lets examine the competition and see where the chips fall.  How about an assessment of the rest of the runners in this historical debate.  Make it a plus-minus evaluation and look at the score at the end.  If the RLC and the Libertarian Party have become a debating society, lets debate until this election is over, and then we can get back to the mundane.  Did I say "we?" excuse me, that could be construed as anti Semite or John Birch rhetoric by some here--sorry, or was that evaluation?--whatever.

              In Liberty,
              John Conway

              I agree the RLC is a joke if they fail to endorse Ron Paul.  In fact, they'll be worse than a joke Š Among the RP candidates, the choice is clear.  If they fail to endorse Ron, and soon, I'll have to wonder whether they even support Liberty.

              Are you familiar with the rules of the RLC as far as endorsing a candidate?  It's not the easiest thing to accomplish.  Rather like the old Polish Duma doing anything.

              There ARE people who are uncomfortable with Paul's stand on church/state separation and several other issues.

              Guy McLendon
              Chair Harris County LP

              So, is the LP going to endorse Paul this year, or are they going to nominate their own candidate?

              Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraf t.com
              Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarok press.com
              Customer Support: 1-800-797-8973

              Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
            • Chuck Moulton
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                > So, is the LP going to endorse Paul this year, or
                > are they going to nominate their own candidate?

                If Ron Paul seeks the LP nomination, I suspect he would get it rather
                easily. That decision will be made by the Libertarian National
                Convention delegates in Denver May of 2008. All indications have been
                that he has no desire to seek the LP nomination.

                In contrast, Ron Paul is seeking the Republican Party nomination and
                as far as I know he would appreciate all the endorsements he can get
                from Republican organizations, especially libertarian-leaning ones.

                -Chuck Moulton
              • markcrossea@prodigy.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11, 2007
                  I think that the Libertarian party should change their
                  bylaws to allow for the nomination of Ron Paul. I do
                  not know the legalities but on the state ballot in
                  some states you can be the nominee of multiple
                  parties. Why not on a national basis? When Ron gets
                  the Republican nomination, what can the Libertarian
                  party do? Do they really want to run someone against
                  Ron?

                  Mark
                • Guy McLendon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007

                    There’s no real need to change the bylaws since it’s easy enough to motion to suspend the rules.

                    If Ron is still very much in the race when our convention is held in May 2008, I’m prepared to support NOTA, and making a motion for a Ron Paul endorsement.

                    Some points:

                    1. The LP is not willing to roll over & play dead.
                    2. The RLC is really good at asking LP to do things, and giving zero in return.
                    3. Has the RLC endorsed Ron yet or not?

                    Guy

                    Posted by: "markcrossea@..." markcrossea@...   markcrossea

                    Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:00 am (PST)