RE: [RLC-Action] Re: Ron Paul

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
      fyi...

      If your intent is to discuss the merits of an endorsement recommendation by a particular state and if the [lack of] correlation between participants of RLC-Action and the participants of my state's eGroup is representative, you're *completely* missing your target audience.  I would highly recommend that you take further discussion of a state's endorsement recommendations to the corresponding state RLC eGroup.  This topic has been thoroughly discussed on RLC-Action.

      Jeff Palmer - jap@...
      Moderator

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
        That is not my intent.  Lisa is my target audience.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
          Chuck, because this group is not moderated sufficiently, we have too
          many talkers and this, as you know, chases away the doers. But we
          are doers down here in Florida. For one thing, we are using the RLC
          network in Florida to support Ron. For instance, we are using our
          extensive database to promote the 18 Ron Paul Meetups in the state
          and our booth at the Young Republicans National Convention (1,000
          expected) will be home base for Ron Paul campaigners next month. Ron
          Paul has been invited to the event but has not yet accepted
          (FreedomFest is the same weekend). Plus, we will be doing some Ron
          fundraisers in Florida, as we have in the past for his Congressional
          campaigns. Don't worry, we're on the case.

          -- Philip Blumel

          --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Moulton" <chuck@...> wrote:

          > Instead of posting lots of redundant Ron Paul links, why doesn't
          > someone take the initiative and pro-actively lobby RLC state
          > affiliates to recommend the endorsement of Ron Paul to the RLC
          > national committee?
          >
          > There aren't many RLC affiliates. It seems trivial to get a list
          of
          > affiliates and contact information for the members (e-groups, email
          > addresses, phone numbers, and addresses), then call them up on the
          > phone and encourage them to recommend endorsement. I can't do it
          > myself because of my position in the LP (I am an RLC monthly
          pledger,
          > but not a registered Republican).
          >
          > The more momentum former RLC national chair Ron Paul gets, the more
          > embarassing it is that the RLC has not endorsed him. If the RLC
          > endorses him too late in the game it will just be seen as waiting
          > see the way the wind blows and jumping on the bandwagon.
          >
          > Some RLC members seem to be interested in endorsing the eventual
          > winner or not offending the eventual winner. My understanding of
          the
          > RLC was that they would endorse whoever the most libertarian
          candidate
          > was in the Republican primary (if they endorse anyone). If you
          just
          > want to rubber stamp whoever the leading Republican is, you might
          as
          > well take the "Liberty" out of the "Republican Liberty Caucus"
          name.

          > Failure to endorse Ron Paul would make the RLC a joke in my
          opinion.

          > Is anyone here a doer? Or are you all talkers?
          >
          > -Chuck Moulton

        • rlcmcallen
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
            Do you really think that fewer than 20 posts in a full week
            constitutes "too many talkers?" Do you realize how few there would be
            without the discussion you complain about? Does this mean that in
            reality there are hardly any "doers" who care to post here? If so, why?

            --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Blumel" <pblumel@...> wrote:

            > Chuck, because this group is not moderated sufficiently, we have too
            > many talkers and this, as you know, chases away the doers. But we
            > are doers down here in Florida. For one thing, we are using the RLC
            > network in Florida to support Ron. For instance, we are using our
            > extensive database to promote the 18 Ron Paul Meetups in the state
            > and our booth at the Young Republicans National Convention (1,000
            > expected) will be home base for Ron Paul campaigners next month. Ron
            > Paul has been invited to the event but has not yet accepted
            > (FreedomFest is the same weekend). Plus, we will be doing some Ron
            > fundraisers in Florida, as we have in the past for his Congressional
            > campaigns. Don't worry, we're on the case.
            >
            > -- Philip Blumel
            >

            > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Moulton" <chuck@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Instead of posting lots of redundant Ron Paul links, why doesn't
            > > someone take the initiative and pro-actively lobby RLC state
            > > affiliates to recommend the endorsement of Ron Paul to the RLC
            > > national committee?
            > >
            > > There aren't many RLC affiliates. It seems trivial to get a list
            > of
            > > affiliates and contact information for the members (e-groups, email
            > > addresses, phone numbers, and addresses), then call them up on the
            > > phone and encourage them to recommend endorsement. I can't do it
            > > myself because of my position in the LP (I am an RLC monthly
            > pledger,
            > > but not a registered Republican).
            > >
            > > The more momentum former RLC national chair Ron Paul gets, the more
            > > embarassing it is that the RLC has not endorsed him. If the RLC
            > > endorses him too late in the game it will just be seen as waiting
            > > see the way the wind blows and jumping on the bandwagon.
            > >
            > > Some RLC members seem to be interested in endorsing the eventual
            > > winner or not offending the eventual winner. My understanding of
            > the
            > > RLC was that they would endorse whoever the most libertarian
            > candidate
            > > was in the Republican primary (if they endorse anyone). If you
            > just
            > > want to rubber stamp whoever the leading Republican is, you might
            > as
            > > well take the "Liberty" out of the "Republican Liberty Caucus"
            > name.
            > >
            > > Failure to endorse Ron Paul would make the RLC a joke in my
            > opinion.
            > >
            > > Is anyone here a doer? Or are you all talkers?
            > >
            > > -Chuck Moulton

          • Steven Burden
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
              Chuck,

              I truly respect your consistent dedication to liberty, but I gotta
              call you on this one.

              I could ask you the same question about the LPNC. Just because Ron
              Paul is running a a Republican, shouldn't stop you. It is the
              principle, right? We all know the LP is the Party of Principle. Hell,
              a good number of us are or were LP'ers.

              Just as the LP does not vote as a block, neither do we. We look,
              judge, think, and discuss. Some--with good reason--are not sure about
              RP. They have that right, and they would not be good citizens it they
              didn't weigh the choices.

              From what I can tell, most are concerned about the implications of
              Ron Paul's non-interventionist stance on the war in Iraq, or the war
              on terror in general. Few would disagree we are in a nasty place
              right now. The best way to get out of it is a valid point of
              discussion and disagreement.

              I support RP, but we cannot rush this, as a single state which
              abstains voids any endorsement.

              I myself prefer not to rush to failure when we have nearly 18 months
              to the election.

              In Liberty,

              --Steve

              wrote:

              > Chuck, because this group is not moderated sufficiently, we have
              too
              > many talkers and this, as you know, chases away the doers. But we
              > are doers down here in Florida. For one thing, we are using the RLC
              > network in Florida to support Ron. For instance, we are using our
              > extensive database to promote the 18 Ron Paul Meetups in the state
              > and our booth at the Young Republicans National Convention (1,000
              > expected) will be home base for Ron Paul campaigners next month.
              Ron
              > Paul has been invited to the event but has not yet accepted
              > (FreedomFest is the same weekend). Plus, we will be doing some Ron
              > fundraisers in Florida, as we have in the past for his
              Congressional
              > campaigns. Don't worry, we're on the case.
              >
              > -- Philip Blumel
              >

              > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Moulton" <chuck@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Instead of posting lots of redundant Ron Paul links, why doesn't
              > > someone take the initiative and pro-actively lobby RLC state
              > > affiliates to recommend the endorsement of Ron Paul to the RLC
              > > national committee?
              > >
              > > There aren't many RLC affiliates. It seems trivial to get a list
              > of
              > > affiliates and contact information for the members (e-groups,
              email
              > > addresses, phone numbers, and addresses), then call them up on the
              > > phone and encourage them to recommend endorsement. I can't do it
              > > myself because of my position in the LP (I am an RLC monthly
              > pledger,
              > > but not a registered Republican).
              > >
              > > The more momentum former RLC national chair Ron Paul gets, the
              more
              > > embarassing it is that the RLC has not endorsed him. If the RLC
              > > endorses him too late in the game it will just be seen as waiting
              > > see the way the wind blows and jumping on the bandwagon.
              > >
              > > Some RLC members seem to be interested in endorsing the eventual
              > > winner or not offending the eventual winner. My understanding of
              > the
              > > RLC was that they would endorse whoever the most libertarian
              > candidate
              > > was in the Republican primary (if they endorse anyone). If you
              > just
              > > want to rubber stamp whoever the leading Republican is, you might
              > as
              > > well take the "Liberty" out of the "Republican Liberty Caucus"
              > name.
              > >
              > > Failure to endorse Ron Paul would make the RLC a joke in my
              > opinion.
              > >
              > > Is anyone here a doer? Or are you all talkers?
              > >
              > > -Chuck Moulton

            • Guy McLendon
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2007

                Mr. Moulton,

                I agree the RLC is a joke if they fail to endorse Ron Paul.  In fact, they’ll be worse than a joke … Among the RP candidates, the choice is clear.  If they fail to endorse Ron, and soon, I’ll have to wonder whether they even support Liberty .

                Guy McLendon

                Chair Harris County LP

                Houston, Texas

                > > Failure to endorse Ron Paul would make the RLC a joke in my

                > opinion.
                > >
                > > Is anyone here a doer? Or are you all talkers?
                > >
                > > -Chuck Moulton
                style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                  [RLC-Action] Re: Ron Paul
                  I agree the RLC is a joke if they fail to endorse Ron Paul.  In fact, they'll be worse than a joke Š Among the RP candidates, the choice is clear.  If they fail to endorse Ron, and soon, I'll have to wonder whether they even support Liberty.

                  Are you familiar with the rules of the RLC as far as endorsing a candidate?  It's not the easiest thing to accomplish.  Rather like the old Polish Duma doing anything.

                  There ARE people who are uncomfortable with Paul's stand on church/state separation and several other issues.

                  Guy McLendon
                  Chair Harris County LP

                  So, is the LP going to endorse Paul this year, or are they going to nominate their own candidate?

                  Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraft.com
                  Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarokpress.com
                  Customer Support: 1-800-797-8973
                • John Conway
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                        Small potatoes.  Lets examine the competition and see where the chips fall.  How about an assessment of the rest of the runners in this historical debate.  Make it a plus-minus evaluation and look at the score at the end.  If the RLC and the Libertarian Party have become a debating society, lets debate until this election is over, and then we can get back to the mundane.  Did I say "we?" excuse me, that could be construed as anti Semite or John Birch rhetoric by some here--sorry, or was that evaluation?--whatever.

                    In Liberty,
                    John Conway

                    I agree the RLC is a joke if they fail to endorse Ron Paul.  In fact, they'll be worse than a joke Š Among the RP candidates, the choice is clear.  If they fail to endorse Ron, and soon, I'll have to wonder whether they even support Liberty.

                    Are you familiar with the rules of the RLC as far as endorsing a candidate?  It's not the easiest thing to accomplish.  Rather like the old Polish Duma doing anything.

                    There ARE people who are uncomfortable with Paul's stand on church/state separation and several other issues.

                    Guy McLendon
                    Chair Harris County LP

                    So, is the LP going to endorse Paul this year, or are they going to nominate their own candidate?

                    Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraf t.com
                    Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarok press.com
                    Customer Support: 1-800-797-8973

                    Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                  • Chuck Moulton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                      > So, is the LP going to endorse Paul this year, or
                      > are they going to nominate their own candidate?

                      If Ron Paul seeks the LP nomination, I suspect he would get it rather
                      easily. That decision will be made by the Libertarian National
                      Convention delegates in Denver May of 2008. All indications have been
                      that he has no desire to seek the LP nomination.

                      In contrast, Ron Paul is seeking the Republican Party nomination and
                      as far as I know he would appreciate all the endorsements he can get
                      from Republican organizations, especially libertarian-leaning ones.

                      -Chuck Moulton
                    • markcrossea@prodigy.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 11, 2007
                        I think that the Libertarian party should change their
                        bylaws to allow for the nomination of Ron Paul. I do
                        not know the legalities but on the state ballot in
                        some states you can be the nominee of multiple
                        parties. Why not on a national basis? When Ron gets
                        the Republican nomination, what can the Libertarian
                        party do? Do they really want to run someone against
                        Ron?

                        Mark
                      • Guy McLendon
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2007

                          There’s no real need to change the bylaws since it’s easy enough to motion to suspend the rules.

                          If Ron is still very much in the race when our convention is held in May 2008, I’m prepared to support NOTA, and making a motion for a Ron Paul endorsement.

                          Some points:

                          1. The LP is not willing to roll over & play dead.
                          2. The RLC is really good at asking LP to do things, and giving zero in return.
                          3. Has the RLC endorsed Ron yet or not?

                          Guy

                          Posted by: "markcrossea@..." markcrossea@...   markcrossea

                          Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:00 am (PST)