[Fwd: First Annual Courageous Legislator of the Year Award]

  • Chris Farris
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2007
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: First Annual Courageous Legislator of the Year Award
      Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:14:15 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia <chris@...>
      To: Chris Farris <chris@...>

      Dear Chris,

      I wanted to remind you of the RLC State Convention that is coming up this Friday at 3pm. We'll be meeting at the Loafing Leprechaun restaurant next door to the GOP State Convention. More details on the convention can be found here: http://www.gopliberty.org/2007/04/25/rlc-state-convention-announcement/

      At the convention we will be giving State Representative Steve Davis our first annual Courageous Legislator Award. The following is our Press Release:

      *Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia Awards Rep. Steve Davis with the first annual Courageous Legislator of the Year Award. *

      ATLANTA, GA, May 16, 2007 – The Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia, a grassroots organization promoting individual freedom, limited government and fiscal responsibility, has awarded State Rep. Steve Davis (R-McDonough) its first annual Courageous Legislator of the Year Award for his strong stance against wasteful spending and his consistently pro-taxpayer record.

      Rep. Davis, who was endorsed by the RLC in 2006, was the only member of the State House to vote against the FY 2007 budget. He based his vote on the nearly $200 million in pork barrel projects. After the vote, Davis wrote, "When the state takes the taxpayers' money and spends those funds on unnecessary or improper expenditures, then it fails in supporting the legitimate functions of government."

      After a budget agreement was reached, Davis voted in favor of returning $142 million back to the taxpayers. He openly criticized the Governor for vetoing the return of the money. He stated, "The true commitment of a conservative would be to veto the budget because the refund was not large enough." Davis also stood on the principle of fiscal conservatism by voting against the bloated $20.2 billion FY 2008 budget. Representatives Bobby Franklin and Martin Scott stood with him.

      Representative Steve Davis has been the light of fiscal conservatism and responsible government under the Gold Dome. We are proud to be able to recognize him as a man of conservative principle and the best friend the taxpayer has in the Georgia General Assembly.

      The Courageous Legislator of the Year Award goes to the Senator or Representative who shows the most courage in standing up to party leadership and special interests to do what is right by the people of Georgia. Also nominated this year was State Senator Seth Harp (R-Midland) for introducing legislation to allow local communities to decide whether or not to sell alcohol on Sundays.

      ----

      --
      Chris Farris chris at gopliberty dot org
      Chairman 404 806 1403