RE: [RLC-Action] RLC National Brochures: Please review!

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 23, 2004
      >Are you referencing the World's Shortest Quiz?

      Yes.

      >If so, I firmly believe the RLC's effort to generate our own ... as
      >compared to using what amounts to an industry standard ... would be
      >counterproductive.

      I agree, that would be a horrible mess. Worse than getting tarred
      with the LP brush.

      >The LP uses the word "Constitution" 10 times in their platform ...
      >would you also like to steer clear of that term?

      I think the Constitution has a rather better established independent
      identity than the quiz does.

      Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
      http://www.elitistpig.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
        >Without judging the designs (although I did give Doug Harris an
        >assist a while back), let me say what I'm looking for in a brochure.
        >I think more than anything we need a recruiting piece. The only way
        >this organization is going to grow is to get out at public events
        >and recruit. And right now we don't have a single piece of
        >literature to stick in people's hands. I picture a table with a
        >couple of posters, maybe some bunting, and some handouts. That's
        >where we need some brochures.

        I think the basic brochure is just too basic. It needs to have some
        'beef' as it were.

        >I'm not above stealing the Nolan chart from the Libs. I assume most
        >of our recruits will come from the ranks of the Republican party.
        >It would be an interesting exercise to chart the responses at a
        >large Republican gathering, and try to snag the ones who hit the
        >sweet spot on the chart. I don't expect to see any Libertarians
        >working the same crowd. So any conficts over use of the chart would
        >be minimal.

        Actually, I'm thinking that a lot of our recruits ought to be
        frustrated Libertarians looking for somewhere to go where they can
        keep their principles but actually have some meaningful impact. For
        them the chart might be a plus, or it might be a negative, depending
        on how alienated they are from the LP. We don't want to look too
        much like Libertarians in sheeps clothing, even if some of us
        basically are.

        >Maybe we're all looking for a different brochure. I wouldn't
        >consider handing the SoP to a potential recruit. But it should be
        >available in some form if the interest level of the recruit remains
        >high. In fact this is something that could be banged out on a word
        >processor as needed, since it's simply a list. The state orgs could
        >handle that. Where we need the help is in getting a professionally
        >printed piece, available in bulk, that we can order.for our
        >recruiting tables.

        The high points from the SoP in short summary format - one sentence
        each with a bullet- really ought to be in the basic brochure.

        Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
        http://www.elitistpig.com
      • Adam J Bernay
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004

          If we’re to use the World’s Smallest Political Quiz, I recommend HIGHLY that we use the previous version.  The current one, to be quite honest, is far too general and does what they claim they don’t want to do: rig the scoring.  The older versions are much, much better.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 24, 2004
            From: "Jeff Palmer" <jap@...>
            > I hope you'll allow ample time for responses before taking action on the
            > brochures.

            The use of any RLC Brochure versions will be at the discretion of members
            and states that wish to use them. I would like to see a consensus on one that
            could be printed in bulk for distribution to state chapters. The drafts are
            being distributed here first (well, they did go to the National Board, but only
            formatting suggestions were offered) because we want feedback before
            expending funds on printing. The printing decision probably won't happen until the
            next National Telecon, on January 12th.

            From: Dave Nalle _dave@..._ (mailto:dave@...)
            > Want some better fonts to work with?

            Suggestions are always welcome. Send font preferences or files to John,
            Doug and me by private email.

            > As for the quiz, since the LP is using the same quiz might it
            > not be better to stay away from it?

            The quiz belongs to The Advocates, not the LP, but I dread the thought
            of trying to compose our own questions. The WSPQ materials have been used at
            many Republican events, with no negative feedback that I've heard.

            > Would be a lot easier to look at them if you generated PDFs straight from
            > whatever you're doing the layout in.

            That's how they were generated. If you are more familiar with PDF
            options, you're welcome to take the .doc and .pub source files posted and
            regenerate them.

            From: "Chuck Seberg" <pusherprop3@...>
            > I think more than anything we need a recruiting piece.

            That's the intent, with three approaches. If you'd like to create a
            draft alternative, please do send it to me by private email.

            > It would be an interesting exercise to chart the responses
            > at a large Republican gathering, and try to snag the ones
            > who hit the sweet spot on the chart.

            That's exactly what RLC-TX and RLC-FL have done, with great success.
            Part of the problem was the lack of an RLC tie-in and handout literature.

            >... [The Statement] is something that could be banged out
            > on a word processor as needed, since it's simply a list.
            > The state orgs could handle that.

            Nothing prevents any member or chapter from creating whatever materials
            they please. We have had requests for a simple flat flyer format for the Quiz
            and Statement, which is easy to do once the content has been decided. We're
            also considering a four-panel version with a tear-off membership app.

            From: "Guy McLendon" <_guy@..._ (mailto:guy@...) >
            > ... we could paste the standard questions together with our own
            > organizational name ... and brief mission statement.

            PLEASE download the 'Quiz' brochure drafts: that's exactly what they do.
            If you have problems accessing the Yahoo! /Files/, drop me a personal email
            and I'll send you all of them in a ZIP file.

            Yahoo! Groups : RLC-Action Files
            _http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RLC-Action/files/Brochures/_

          • Tony Lekas
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 25, 2004
              If this is to be used for multiple State chapters I suggest leaving a blank rectangle where a State chapter can stamp their contact information.  It is not as professional looking as having a State specific one printed up but it is not too bad.  I am assuming that you would want people to have a local contact.  Another option would be to have a card or insert for the local chapter that could be stapled in.

              Tony

              From: "Guy McLendon" <_guy@..._ (mailto:guy@...) >

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/PdSolB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 26, 2004
                From: Tony Lekas <tony@...>
                > If this is to be used for multiple State chapters I suggest leaving a
                > blank rectangle where a State chapter can stamp their contact
                > information.

                    Please download and review the brochure drafts. Nearly all of
                them have a state chapter box, which can be stamped if printed
                from the PDF, or edited in the .DOC versions. If we print in bulk,
                there will be space for state contact information.