REAL ID Act implementation

  • Steven Burden
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007

      We have until May 8th to submit our input for the proposed DHS implementation of REAL ID.

      If you are unfamiliar with REAL ID and its implications, you can go here  for EFFs boilerplate input form, as well as some really good background info.

      My email to DHS, my Federal reps, and my State reps (with the question as to why the state gov here in FL has not submitted legislation to prevent implementation of REAL ID) includes variations of the same theme.  Use any of it if you wish.

      ****

      I am opposed to the implementation of the REAL ID Act. The Depart of Homeland Security (DHS) needs to withdraw the proposed regulations. Additionally, Congress should immediately repeal this burdensome mandate that threatens the privacy and security of all Americans.

      The deficiencies of the DHS implementation scheme--as well as the REAL ID Act, itself--are as follows:

      --an unfunded federal mandate of nearly $23 Billion on States and individuals, by DHS' own estimates.

      --construction of a one-stop-shop for identity thieves with unprecedented levels of personal information.

      --lack of even rudimentary protection of personal information.

      --establishment of a database which can allow total unhampered tyranny of government over individual citizens.

      --NO, none, zero, empirical evidence that any national id system will accomplish any increase in security. In fact, the preponderance of loosely related empirical evidence indicates that a single, universal method of identification actually decreases security (see Reason Foundation Studies).

      --REAL ID could become the de facto 'valid' identification system throughout the United States. Demanded by anyone and everyone, this turning this superficially 'voluntary' ID into a de facto requirement. Do not forget that despite the promises of Congress that the Social Security card would 'never' become an identity requirement, today, it has become just that. In addition, it is the primary means of identity theft. Let us learn from the stupidity of the past.

      --REAL ID was surreptitiously attached to a separate bill. No debate, and no time for the rulers of this country--the American People; NOT the government--were never given the opportunity to debate it in the public square.

      I oppose the REAL ID Act. DHS' proposed implementation is fatally flawed, and should be withdrawn. Congress should immediately repeal REAL ID.

      ****

      --Steve