Report on Fort Myers (Fla.) RLC presentation

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2007
      My 4/5 presentation at the GOP club -- "the GOP and the libertarian
      vote" -- in Ft Myers, Fla., went swimmingly.

      I was concerned at first that LPers showed up, but they were
      respectful and even contributed to the meeting. One told me he would
      probably join the RLC to support our efforts.

      Other notable attendees include Florida Gulf Coast University
      economics professor Bradley Hobbs; Bonita Spings Councilman Pat
      McCourt (who has posted the definition of libertarianism on his city
      wesbite!); GOP field rep Ashley Beach; libertarian Hillsdale
      graduate and GOP activist Margaret Briscoe; and enthusiastic RLCer
      Aaron O'Brien, who set up the gig. About 35 people were there.

      We got at least three new RLC members.

      The GOP staffer told me she identifies more closely with social
      conservatives but appreciates our efforts to grow the party. I told
      her to report on this meeting to her superiors.

      At the meeting, I also found out from Hobbs that Cato writer Robert
      Levy lives in Naples, so I sent him a letter (below) on RLC
      stationery telling him about the RLC.

      My next RLC presentation is April 17 in Jacksonsville, Fla.

      -- Philip Blumel, www.rlcfl.org

      +++++

      April 6, 2007

      Robert A. Levy
      8787 Bay Colony Drive
      Naples, FL 34108

      I am writing to introduce and invite you to join an organization
      that I believe represents your principles in the political sphere:
      the Republican Liberty Caucus of Florida.

      The purpose of the RLC is twofold. First, we aim to promote
      libertarian philosophy and policy ideas within the GOP; and, second,
      to identify and assist libertarian-oriented Republican candidates
      for public and party office. Enclosed is our recent newsletter which
      gives you an idea of the types of projects we are currently engaged
      in.

      We respect your efforts on behalf of the Cato Institute and do not
      presume to ask for your time nor a donation for our cause. I would
      respectfully ask, however, that you do three things:

      --- Check out our website at www.rlcfl.org
      --- Join the RLC for $30, there is an application enclosed; and
      --- Read the enclosed newsletter and future ones you will receive as
      part of your membership.

      In other words, I ask that you keep an eye on us to see if you
      believe we warrant further consideration. We intend to earn your
      continued attention and support. If we can ever be of service to
      you, perhaps by bringing a Florida public policy issue to the
      attention of our statewide network, just let us know.

      Sincerely,

      Philip Blumel, secretary

      P.S. We are proud to announce that both Reason Foundation founder
      Robert Poole of Plantation and FSU economist Dr. Randy Holcombe of
      Tallahassee have recently agreed to serve on the RLCFL's Advisory
      Board. Perhaps you know them.
    • George Blumel