Maine's resolution is "non-binding".

  • Jeff Greenspan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29 10:50 AM
      Maine's resolution is "non-binding". See article

      ======

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16828651/

      Maine bucks federal change to driver’s licenses
      State lawmakers say national ID system will fuel identity theft

      Updated: 2:10 p.m. MT Jan 26, 2007

      AUGUSTA, Maine - The Maine Legislature declared that it would refuse a
      congressional order to change its drivers' licenses so they can serve
      as national identification cards.

      Supporters of Thursday's nonbinding resolution — called the first of
      its kind in the nation — say the federal program would invite identity
      theft and cost Maine taxpayers $185 million over the first five years.

      <snip>

      Companion bill possible
      In Maine, House Majority Leader Hannah Pingree, a Democrat,
      acknowledged that Thursday's resolution is not binding. She said the
      language saying the state "refuses" to comply with the law "is more
      expressing our feeling and intent that we're not interested in
      following through."

      But Pingree added that companion legislation yet to be voted on directs
      the secretary of state, who administers licensing laws, not to comply.
      Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap has said the law would be costly and
      difficult to implement.

      Senate Majority Leader Elizabeth Libby Mitchell, D-Vassalboro, sponsor
      of the resolution, said Real ID "will do nothing to make us safer, but
      it is our job as state legislators to protect the people of Maine from
      just this sort of dangerous federal mandate."
      © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not
      be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.