Flame of Liberty Kindled in Maine as Legislature Rejects Internal Passports

  • rlcmcallen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2007
      http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6153532.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

      The State of Maine in both it's houses of the legislature today voted
      to refuse to make it's citizens carry biometric driver licenses and
      asked the Federal Government to repeal the law.

      There is an old saying. I hope it holds in this case: "As Maine goes,
      so goes the nation."

      I hope this is evidence for the beginning of a wave of renewed love of
      liberty that Ron may be able to ride into the White House.

      Who would have thought at ANY state would have the strength to stand
      up to the demand for an internal passport! This relic of the Soviet
      Union now being introduced to our shores may be defeated yet.

      Write your senators and representatives, and your state legislators.
    • R. Kenneth Lindell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007

        I spent several days at the State House lobbying and lining up support among Republicans for the resolution.  I also worked with the ACLU to strip political anti-Bush language from the resolution.  In the end only four members voted against the resolution. (31-0 in the Senate on a roll call vote, 137-4 in the House)

        The next step is to pass legislation that was introduced by RLC member Re. Scott Lansley at my request.  The bill prohibits expenditure of any State money on implementing REAL ID.  Given the momentum this has, I think the bill can pass easily.

        All of this is a direct result of the work the RLC is doing in Maine .

        Hon. R. Kenneth Lindell

        Maine RLC chairman