Tommy Thompson

  • Adrian Augustine
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 9, 2007
      Well I don't want to bash our former Governor, hes far better than our current Democratic one, but here's my analysis...

      a) the bad news
      Tommy never really was a fiscal conservative on spending issues. Many Republicans secretly blame him for the large deficits his GOP successor inherited when the recession hit. After heading up HHS Tommy has also displayed some nanny state tendencies that are troubling.

      b) neutral to positve
      He was really good on tax cuts, but then again every GOP governor in the 90s was considering the overflowing tax revenue that was streaming in from the economy.

      c) the good news
      He was a pioneer when it came to reforming welfare and implementing school choice before it got traction in other states and at the federal level. Tommy never was much of a social conservative in the evangelical sense. For the lack of a better term I'll describe him as a secular traditionalist.

      While Tommy may not be that impressive of a speaker, he is a really good retail politician. I don't know how his small town Wisconsin charm(population of Elroy, WI: 1,758) will work in other states but Iowa and New Hampshire seem like pretty good testing grounds.

      Anyway, I think Tommy is like most GOP candidates for the nomination, some good, some bad...nothing perfect.

      Adrian Augustine
      Wisconsin

      Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@...> wrote:
      I seem to remember Thommy Thompson as being ideal when
      Bush snapped him up
      for HHS. Does anyone know his pre-Bush administration
      record? There was
      also Tom Ridge, and a Governor from Michigan. I recall
      each had excellent
      libertarian- ish qualities, and then all were snapped
      up and placed in big
      government departments in the Bush administration. At
      first I thought it
      was a sign those departments would be reigned in - now
      it seems an effort
      to remove them from the race.

      .

      http://mail.yahoo.com