Historical perspective on Henke

  • Eric Dondero Rittberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2007
      In the 15 years of the RLC's existence I can only think of one time
      where an RLCer has advanced to such a prominent position: And that was
      Shawn Steele taking over as California GOP Chairman in the 1990s.

      Jon Henke really is making us all proud here. We should be shouting
      from the rooftops about his appointment.
    • John David Galt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2007
        Eric Dondero Rittberg wrote:
        > In the 15 years of the RLC's existence I can only think of one time
        > where an RLCer has advanced to such a prominent position: And that was
        > Shawn Steele taking over as California GOP Chairman in the 1990s.
        >
        > Jon Henke really is making us all proud here. We should be shouting
        > from the rooftops about his appointment.

        While I agree that it's great to see an RLCer advance in the GOP, I
        would expect mainstream GOPers -- especially the "militant Christians"
        (Bill O'Reilly's term for those who think that anything Christians find
        sinful should be banned by law) -- to actively fight against such
        advances on our part. Thus, publicizing them may be counterproductive.

        The "militant Christians" have achieved a lot of their gains -- both in
        winning public office and in winning control of the GOP -- by running
        "stealth candidates" (candidates who don't talk about their MC views
        until they win, and maybe not even then). I think the RLC should start
        running "stealth candidates" too, especially for party leadership jobs.